Sign in to follow this  
clawhammer

Uncompressed textures and sound performance boost like in Titanfall?

9rh9m54k.jpg

49GB for Titanfall, and why? Because uncompressed audio files they said.

It will increase the performance they said and indeed, this game can run on old computers.

What do you think, will uncompressed textures and soundfiles improve the performance in arma 3 as well?

Or are they already uncompressed and iam talking stupid words? If not is it possible to uncompress everythink and run arma?

hmmm when i think "uncompressed files" I think about quite heavy files, so I guess you need more ram and faster hdd to load up such files which would actually make a game sloppier. But, I guess you can minimize this problem with some kind of streaming technology. Also, in ArmA it is well known (yes kaleesi) that the main performance killer are the scripts, aka the CPU load.

Is this also the reason why COD Ghosts needed about 50 GB of free Hard Drive space? Would be interessting..

Is this also the reason why COD Ghosts needed about 50 GB of free Hard Drive space? Would be interessting..

No, Ghosts runs like crap.

How can bigger uncompressed files improve the performance? Seems counter-intuitive.

A multiplayer-only game that only has 6v6 battles and it's 50 gigs?

They said uncompressing the files on the fly on a dualcore-system would bog down the CPU too much. I don't know how playing an MP3 or similar can do that...I don't know what they opted for, FLAC?

But would it be too hard to reencode to something like 320kbps mp3? Does anyone actually hear the difference between FLAC and high quality mp3s in the heat of the battle? Do we really care?

It could just be a lame excuse and the real reason they make their shitty games 50GO is to discourage piracy.

It could just be a lame excuse and the real reason they make their shitty games 50GO is to discourage piracy.

This doesn't make any kind of sense.

ofc it's non-sense ....

if they just used OPUS codec and ogg files the files wuld be 5-10x smaller with at max neglibleperformance hit ...

Sounds very stupid and real. Though that amount of GBs could discourage normal people to buy the game.

I think this may actually be the main reason. Since DRM and stuff doesn´t really work they try to discourage people by making the game files ridiculously huge. Mind that most people have a quite bad internet speed. Many people still don´t have flatrates etc.

Or maybe they didn´t want to license some decoding software.

I think this may actually be the main reason. Since DRM and stuff doesn´t really work they try to discourage people by making the game files ridiculously huge. Mind that most people have a quite bad internet speed. Many people still don´t have flatrates etc.

Or maybe they didn´t want to license some decoding software.

That's true. I have a 400 kb/s download speed and downloading 50 GB is a no no for me. That would have discouraged me if I wanted to buy the game. I have to do a fresh install of Win7 in a couple days (motherboard change, I currently have an OEM version of Win which is tied to your current mobo), and the thought of re-downloading all those 10 GB+ games and stuff hurts me in the deep.

That's true. I have a 400 kb/s download speed and downloading 50 GB is a no no for me. That would have discouraged me if I wanted to buy the game. I have to do a fresh install of Win7 in a couple days (motherboard change, I currently have an OEM version of Win which is tied to your current mobo), and the thought of re-downloading all those 10 GB+ games and stuff hurts me in the deep.

You should only need to back em up when your games reside on system drive (which is a bad idea in every way). Back up to a different partition/harddrive. When it comes time to install those games again, just install to the folder they reside in. Steam and most online games take care of the rest.

I have installed Win7 6-7 times from scratch in the past 6 months. I'm still using same folder for Arma 3 though. Still works. Steam downloads at top 16 megs or so and I'm good to go. Usually I can just doubleclick Arma 3 executable and go play. Games nowadays don't seem to rely so much on windows registry anymore, which is a good thing cause why would they?

At 50 gigs, I might consider a physical copy of the game (not Titanfall though, not interested).

But in Sweden theres no transfer caps and I doubt anyone would accept that either. Just a silly idea to get more money. Its not like theres a lot of wear and tear on the cables just because they are used for something.

It is just pure greed.

Edited by mamasan8

It appears that 39 gigs is worth of audio files due to multiple languages so to be fair we can't really dock them points for wanting to localize all audio files in all languages.

50gb because today child stupid and don't belive a small game can be good. I see on the net a lot comment where child write something "O it's just 2 gb this must be a bad game." Believe it or not this is a marketing reason. Im sure even when i didn't played titanfall that a modded skyrim with 4k textures looks better than that game. It's a disgusting joke what ea and activision do. But why do you blame them when the child just want to play with no brainer and good looking games.

And it run on old computer because the whole game run always on a small map with only ?6? player. And this is the reason why arma 3 will never be a popular game as cod. Because if you have to think. Same reason why egosoft's x3 series failed. You have to think to progress. And many many other game where the player forced to actualy do something. Instead of camp a spawn point. And follow a superb cinematic sequence than press a button (and that button is on the screen with a text: Press this button) than watch next cinematic sequence.

TL:DR; Titanfall runs great on old computers because of small maps and low player number. And uncompressed audio and textures files will never increase the performance. Actualy compressed texture files increase performance (in skyrim but i believe in other games too)

Thats a bit silly, if the mindset was that games with small sizes are bad games then there wouldn't be near the interest in a lot of indie games.

I agree the big size is probably to make kids think it's better than it is.

I mean how else could a no singleplayer, 6v6 team battles ONLY game be 50 gig?

I agree the big size is probably to make kids think it's better than it is.

I mean how else could a no singleplayer, 6v6 team battles ONLY game be 50 gig?

Stop taking crazy pills.

Stop taking crazy pills.

Well I think it's more probable than it being big to deter downloading... even legal users will have to download.

Well I think it's more probable than it being big to deter downloading... even legal users will have to download.

The reason is because with consoles they can ship that much data and they didn't bother compress it. Simple as that.

ArmA uses Binarize to "compress" files. That means unneeded stuff is removed and the files are converted to binary data, which can be read directly from/to RAM. Using uncompressed data takes much longer than loading binarized data, so: No, using uncompressed data won't make ArmA3 magically run on my 6 year old notebook.

I think audio is not binarized but the Ogg Vorbis codec has very good performance and is used in a wide range of games and applications (for example spotify)

An unmodded Skyrim install doesn't even have 6 gigabytes... I could install at least 10 worthwhile games on the space that any newer EA title would take up. And I really doubt that the uncompressed audio sounds better on anything else than maybe a modern cinema, so I guess it really just boils down to a case of intentionally bad coding and making it big, for the above reasons.