Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Wargame Red Dragon

Wargame Returns

Wargame Red Dragon is now available for preorder. Everyone who preorders will get into the Beta in a few days (a closed Beta is already running, you can find videos on youtube)

Owners of Wargame Airland battle get a 25% discount!

I guess I´ll buy into the preorder (wich I usually would never do). From playing Wargame AB and watching RD gameplay on youtube I exactly know what to expect from this game. It will be awesome!

I have been looking at this as I really enjoyed the last 2 games, guess its a buy for me.

Bought it. Does someone know when we can get into the open beta?

Bought it. Does someone know when we can get into the open beta?

I think it might start tomorrow but I´m not sure about that.

It has no SP/AI yet - I don't want to disturb the multiplayers experience by my complete Wargame cluelessness :D Hope to see SP modes soon...

I learned the most in the Wargame: European Escalation campaigns. Sad that the SP in ALB was crap (in my opinion). In the first Wargame you had to unlock the units one by another. You learned much better how to play.

I learned the most in the Wargame: European Escalation campaigns. Sad that the SP in ALB was crap (in my opinion). In the first Wargame you had to unlock the units one by another. You learned much better how to play.

I just had my first MP game in Red Dragon. Me->Soviet; Enemy->EUFOR

I really like the changes they made to the game.

I had a very unpleasant moment when I discovered that I could get only 6 trained motostrelki when using them with BMP 3. This change will force people to really think about the transport vehicels they pick.

Yeah, the new restricitions are good. But i think its everything but final ^^ im excited what they gonna change the next weeks untill full release.

Have they fixed the artillery spammage? I have only played the first one and i reached rank 50 or something and got really fed up of players spamming units like arty only or air spam. Also games turned into a campfest because nobody wanted to risk attacking and battles were mostly decided after 15mins of actual game, you kinda knew who was going to win the round because you were either plonked on a team of lower rank players or the other team simply stacked whoever had the most ranks. It wasnt uncommon to see a bunch of 60+ ranked players on one side and -30 ranked players on the other. Have any of these been fixed in the past and current games.

Have they fixed the artillery spammage? I have only played the first one and i reached rank 50 or something and got really fed up of players spamming units like arty only or air spam. Also games turned into a campfest because nobody wanted to risk attacking and battles were mostly decided after 15mins of actual game, you kinda knew who was going to win the round because you were either plonked on a team of lower rank players or the other team simply stacked whoever had the most ranks. It wasnt uncommon to see a bunch of 60+ ranked players on one side and -30 ranked players on the other. Have any of these been fixed in the past and current games.

About the spamming. You can still see people doing that, but generally with mucgh less success. It´s pretty easy to counter a blob of helos and loaded units usually don´t survive the crash anymore. Artillery pieces are quite expensive to call in and they drain your ressources fast. If you encounter someone who spams arty you just have to hold on for some time ;)

Other than that it really depends on you to find the approprite counter to your opponents tactic. If he spams Air units, call in a bunch of AA and scatter them around the map. If he is spaming Artillery then chances are high that he didn´t spend enough points on a proper defence, so go for tanks and steamroll him. etc.

About the campfest. Yes this still happens if you play the destruction gamemode. I would advise you to try playing conquest.

The restrictions are horrible, I rarely see IFVs anymore because it's not worth wasting an infantry slot on them. The whole 5-card restriction is bad in general, it's like going back to EE where every deck was the same.

The restrictions are horrible, I rarely see IFVs anymore because it's not worth wasting an infantry slot on them. The whole 5-card restriction is bad in general, it's like going back to EE where every deck was the same.

I don´t like the 5 card restriction either, especially not in the Logistics and infantry tab, the orhers are fine. About the IFVs well at least now you see people use APCs without ATGMs. In AB everyone was using infantry in vehicels with ATGMS on them. Tanks have become a little bit more powerfull now and that was really needed.

AI has arrived! Now the n00bi brainless players like me can play without disturbing anyone :)

I´ve played this game the whole weekend and here is what I have to say:

It´s awesome

There are a few problems though.

It´s quite hard to find a proper Server. Mostly you run into Clans or Groups who set up a server, all get in as Blufor and then wait for helpless victims (Hi Alwarren ^^). There is no way that an unorganized team can win against a group with voice comms.

There are quite a few people who will quit midgame because their stupid strategy didn´t work or because the team is behind in points.

This game is so full of idiots without any common sense. My favourites:

"Hey my two planes just got shot down there by a massive ammount of heavy AA. Lets send a lot more, maybe they´ll run out of ammunition before I run out of planes"

"I only play Artillery and suck everyones ressources dry without actually killing something"

"Well I ran out of planes, but maybe their AA is without ammunition now! I´ll send all my helicopters to make sure."

"I´ll do a massive russian infantry zerg rush across open ground against tanks"

There is a significant inbalance in favour of Blufor. It is quite massive when it comes to tanks and airplanes. Blufor gets better tanks and even for a lower price. This might also be the reason why almost everybody wants to play Blufor.

For myself i do prefer the Redfor nations. But im forced to play on Blufor cause my clanmates dont know the pact forces and dont want to learn how to play them...

Tanks: I dont use them most of the time. I prefer a mix of infantry/AT-Vehicles plus air support and the pact forces have pretty good support vehicles and infantry units.

But i have the feeling that NATO Tanks are not much better than USSR Tanks. The T55AMV for 70 points is well armed for its price and can defeat every NATO tank in a good defensive position (well, maybe not the top notch tanks like Leopard 2A5).

But the pact aircrafts dont have the will to survive. A MiG 31 for example gets down with one missilie while the rafale/eurofighter/us-counterparts survive a whole bunch of hits (or is this just my feeling?).

It´s awesome

I feel that the visibility and field of view are just very very well done in Wargame. Looks like there is no approximation, but it's all calculated from the precise 3D models. I did some quick testings and looked from closest zoom level... units shot exactly at the moment, when the other unit appeared from behind an obstacle.

Also to me as a newbie it seems, people are very positive about RD all in all. The community on Eugen forums is very mature as it seems. No bullshit threads and lots of knowledge, very good.

For myself i do prefer the Redfor nations. But im forced to play on Blufor cause my clanmates dont know the pact forces and dont want to learn how to play them...

Tanks: I dont use them most of the time. I prefer a mix of infantry/AT-Vehicles plus air support and the pact forces have pretty good support vehicles and infantry units.

But i have the feeling that NATO Tanks are not much better than USSR Tanks. The T55AMV for 70 points is well armed for its price and can defeat every NATO tank in a good defensive position (well, maybe not the top notch tanks like Leopard 2A5).

But the pact aircrafts dont have the will to survive. A MiG 31 for example gets down with one missilie while the rafale/eurofighter/us-counterparts survive a whole bunch of hits (or is this just my feeling?).

It´s mainly the mid and high end pact tanks that are terribly overpriced. As an example:

Leclerc and Leopard 2A5 costs 170 points while a T-72BU costs 180 Points. The Leclerc and Leopard have much better stats (especially the accuracy and RoF makes them win every fight, even aginst multiple high end Soviet tanks) but cost less.

Andf you are right about the planes. Pact plane ECM is generally very bad so that the planes get picked off even by Stingers. Nato Planes on the other hand can evade even high end BUK AA and you need multiple Tunguskas to shoot down a plane. Strelas are practically useless since they do very little damge, even if the hit. It´s still Beta and I hope they will change this.

If they seek a historically accurate approach then Soviet tanks should be greater in numbers and be cheaper. Nato Planes should be better than the Redfor planes but the Soviet AA should kick ass.

This is how it is now for Tanks

m1a2

accuracy:65%

rof:10

hits per minute:6.5

t72bu

accuracy:50%

rof:7

hits per minute:3.5

price:same

And a T-72BU is nothing else but a T-90 (the Russians renamed it)

Edited by Tonci87

It´s mainly the mid and high end pact tanks that are terribly overpriced. As an example:

Leclerc and Leopard 2A5 costs 170 points while a T-72BU costs 180 Points. The Leclerc and Leopard have much better stats (especially the accuracy and RoF makes them win every fight, even aginst multiple high end Soviet tanks) but cost less.

Andf you are right about the planes. Pact plane ECM is generally very bad so that the planes get picked off even by Stingers. Nato Planes on the other hand can evade even high end BUK AA and you need multiple Tunguskas to shoot down a plane. Strelas are practically useless since they do very little damge, even if the hit. It´s still Beta and I hope they will change this.

If they seek a historically accurate approach then Soviet tanks should be greater in numbers and be cheaper. Nato Planes should be better than the Redfor planes but the Soviet AA should kick ass.

This is how it is now for Tanks

m1a2

accuracy:65%

rof:10

hits per minute:6.5

t72bu

accuracy:50%

rof:7

hits per minute:3.5

price:same

And a T-72BU is nothing else but a T-90 (the Russians renamed it)

Yeah, the T-72/T-90/T-80 are too expensive - but i guess that comes from the great ability to launch ATGM in stationary position. All russian tanks (with ATMGs) - the T-64 especially are better for defense than commit a frontal assault (range advantage of the ATGM/mostly bad stabilizers). The price for the top notch T-80 maybe good as it is but the T-90 is to expensive compared to the NATO tanks. Another way to fix that would be to just give the player a higher amount of T-80/T-72B/T-90.

But why the hell they dont named the T-72BU -> T-90... even the N.Koreans have that tank under its real name (even if its the crappy export version).

In the end i dont use many tanks when i play pact. My most used tank is the T-55AMV, because the price is good for what you get.

I also tried to build a vdv deck but it lacks good AA capabilitys from ground level, if your fighter jets fail, you're doomed to get bombed back to stone age.

It´s quite hard to find a proper Server. Mostly you run into Clans or Groups who set up a server, all get in as Blufor and then wait for helpless victims (Hi Alwarren ^^). There is no way that an unorganized team can win against a group with voice comms.

Actually, I had been in as OPFOR as well, I just didn't make a deck for Red Dragon yet :)

And "victims"... well, we usually don't play that many, usually two or three, and our they are rarely helpless, we lose games as well.

Well Soviet ATGMS do have ATGMS, but they are terribly inaccurate!

Even the heavy Svir missiles will hit only half of the time and you know that they immediately loose the target if it briefly dissapears behind a house or something else.

On top of that the Tank has to stay stationary the whole time to steer the missile wich makes it a easy target.

So out of the 3 or 4 ATGMS you get maybe one will actually hit. And even then their AP Power is not enough to seriously damage high end Euro or US Tanks.

The ATGM range isn´t that great either with 2600m. A Leopard or Leclerc has a max range of almost 2300m They cross those 300 Meters really fast and then their first shot (wich is usually a hit, especially with the Leclerc) will worry your crew and the ATGM will miss for sure, as will all your other shots since the main gun of even the high end soviet tanks has only an accuracy of 45% (I´m ok with that).

So IMHO they need to improve the ATGMS a little bit and make high and mid end Soviet tanks cheaper.

@Alwarren. Your Player profile speaks a different language :p

77.8 Victory ratio wich was roughly the same for the other guys you play with.

And you seem to like tanks. I´ve sent you a friend request in RD :)

Edited by Tonci87

Anyone willing to lend me this (and ARMA 3).

Also one guy said that infantry is useless...he's charging them through an open field with no air cover or armor support.

@Alwarren. Your Player profile speaks a different language :p

77.8 Victory ratio wich was roughly the same for the other guys you play with.

And you seem to like tanks. I´ve sent you a friend request in RD :)

I have maybe 7 or so games in Red Dragon. Most definitely not enough to make anything out of it.

Personally I do use tanks sparingly, I usually pet infantry and gunships.

In any case, the point of us playing like this isn't winning, we are just friends wanting to play together, and most of them cannot be converted to a real man's game like Arms... And man, I tried... I tired.. Believe it or not, I don't really like strategy games...