Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Rate the third episode!

Rate the third episode!  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the third episode!

where is sandbox campaign? O_o...

I refuse to vote till released on main branch.

You little lab monkeys can play the buggy version :p

I posted this in the dev branch thread, but it's not related so I'll write it again here under the spoiler.

I choosed the NATO path, didn't like Miller and James at all, in Survive they never helped my team, they always disappeared for some time.

Could someone who choosed the other path tell me what happens next? Also, what's up with the earthquake? why did they even add it? Did I miss something? Or it's explained in the James path?

Anyway, I loved every bit of this campaign...but the ending...meh, it sucked.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

where is sandbox campaign? O_o...

Kerry is under "US control" again, he can't just mess around, he must follow orders.

4/10, way too short and it's like something is missing in the end. I wanted more infos about the CSAT device.

Agreed, feels like is needed something more at the end. However, I still voted 10/10 because I have to say, BI really got their s**t together in terms of mission making. I felt like they finally figured out how to build missions that make the most out of the game's strengths.

Additionally, they incorporated more of an interesting story for the 3rd episode, with the Tempest Device and such. It was a refreshing break from the typical capture-this-destroy-that-rtb type missions.

Plus, the new CAS jets added a nice touch of bad ass atmosphere to larger scale attacks. And the fixed wing showcase was possibly the best arma mission I have ever played, I highly recommend playing it especially if you are an A-10 fanatic like myself.

It got a bit laggy at times, and it was shorter than the other two episodes...but I still liked it. 8\10.

I think they ended the campaign the way they did to allow for future expansion packs\DLC('s) that follow the same storyline, I hope they do anyway...

I gave it 8/10. If it had been longer it would have got a 9 or a 10. It just felt too short.

I'll wait to give a verdict until it goes gold. I haven't completed it yet anyway :D

All in all a nice campaign and while understanding the people that hoped for being able to fly planes etc. I for myself am happy that BIS took the realistic way and didn't make Kerry a badass Kerry who suddenly can operate all sorts of planes, tanks etc. without further training.

However I must say that the campaign (well, Win) was rather short and honestly both endings were very disappointing to me, seems like the BIS guys have been a bit on a hurry there... the A ending is a joke in my honest opinion :p

Alltogether 6/10

All in all a nice campaign and while understanding the people that hoped for being able to fly planes etc. I for myself am happy that BIS took the realistic way and didn't make Kerry a badass Kerry who suddenly can operate all sorts of planes, tanks etc. without further training.

However I must say that the campaign (well, Win) was rather short and honestly both endings were very disappointing to me, seems like the BIS guys have been a bit on a hurry there... the A ending is a joke in my honest opinion :p

Alltogether 6/10

Well, in the last mission, Kerry CAN fly a helicopter...

And they could - should - have made something like OFP, with different characters

I have to say that for me it was the best of the 3 chapters, almost perfect ( so a 9 ).

The first one, AKA SERE, was real good.

The second, AKA Guerrilla warfare, was ok, it looked like it needed more love.

But the last one was finally WAR ( with caps ), really really good mission design, maybe a bit "short" and the end a bit open for my taste ( but maybe it anticipates some other free chapter as epilogue or maybe some payed DLC? ).

I give a 6, while I like it, there are way too many questions unanswered.

Just finished it and now I am sad. :(

Overall mission design in the last episode was awesome. Could've been a bit longer. 8/10

Picked up the NATO soldiers and tried to get to the docks next to the start of "Game Over". Found no boat but many Greeks and then decided to go for the FIA group at the swamp. I got through the swamp with 3 mine casualities and approached the helo next to the swamp. In the little forest right beneath it I suddenly was attacked from like 3 sides and died... :(

Very thrilling. Still a lot of questions to be answered. That's why I liked it so much. I wish we could see those questions answered.

10/10

The actual "meat" of the campaign was the, IMHO, probably the best of all 3 episodes (as in, keeping me up until 3am with "just one more mission"). I feel as though the ending could have been a lot better, though.

"The Device" (gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines) is bigged up through the entire episode, why not have a huge battle over that? CSAT are trying to get their prototypes off the island, and depending on whether you go with Armstrong or Miller you need to either steal or destroy it.

7/10.

It was fun but enjoyed the first 2 episodes more.

1) Too short, missions were too short and too few missions.

2) I spent more time calling support than actually fighting. The missions in episode 2 were much harder compared to this.

3) Open endings... I assume there will be a continuation with additionable payable DLC.

4) CPL Kerry is promoted to SGT Kerry. No comment has been made during the campaign, furthermore it seems ridiculous since some of the command didn't trust him fully.

7/10

Pros:

1. More great voice acting;

2. Convincing war (mostly);

3. Alternative ending along with earthquakes mystery;

4. Overall high quality of everything, what you can see or hear.

5. Post Scriptum missions.

Cons:

1. Short;

2. Not very fresh story. Yet again we participate in glorious NATO offensive towards inevitable victory keeping initiative all the time and crushing any resistance in hasty "blitzkrieg" - no real drama, boring and tiring. Good, there is alternative ending though;

3. Player (a sergeant, right?) is designated as commander of final offensive - fairy tale;

4. Bugs. Problems with some saves (losting of currently loaded partially empty magazine in 12.7 sniper rifle at load; sometimes weird visual error - only some colours visible, like curtain, nothing more; no saves enabled in Post Scriptum). Game crash at very end of Game Over PS mission;

5. Nearly perfectly linear with too strict tunneling (if you go not where you supposed, you fail the mission);

6. Except one PS island still extinct.

Gave it a 6.

+

• Some more good music
  • Nice atmosphere and presentation like earlier episodes

-

• Missions are mostly the same
  • Episode feels short and the resolution rushed
  • Not enough answers to plot questions
  • Player is too central to everything - talking to the General all the time and being chosen to lead the final assault as noted above.
  • Too many mission events driven by "random person somehow gets Kerry's radio frequency and gives him a task"
  • Some irritating mission design choices, like having an explosion spawned on you if you go the wrong way through a town.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

A 15fps lag fest.

I got to the second mission were I had to run here, run there, get in a APC and be driven 50m before I had to get out again.So I attempted to shoot a AI at 10fps,got returned fire,killed and the only way to restart was to Ctrl,Alt,delete to kill Arma as there was no option to restart the game.Now its the same even in the editor if I die.

The poll needs a minus option

I play Breaking point mod at 50fps,so Im not used to playing a slideshow mission and never will be

The ending was really disappointing and made me feel like I have to wait another 3 months for the next episode, just that I'll have to pay for it then. Currently it's not an ending at all, the game just stops on yet another high point...

Also the FPS in the last episode were rather bad for me. So far it looks like there wasn't really *that* much more stuff happening on screen all the time.

Other than that it's ok. Way better than ArmA2, imo.

Edited by Lexx

it was too short and nothing solved or i missed very important explanation during the gameplay

Just finished both endings. I'm gonna have to go with a 6 again, just like Adapt.

The Good:

- Great ambience once again. One action packed first mission that lead into another, while guns were blazing all around with shells flying and asses getting kicked, now that's some stuff worthy of the Arma name. Especially in

Moral Fiber, when you have to assist Charlie team. Those AI firing at each other (obviously not doing damage) really makes for some great ambient combat.

- Squad command: Hell yeah! No more crappy AI team leaders trying to rubberband and then ordering everyone to their deaths prior to becoming a lead magnet themselves. Good to know that when you did have to follow an AI leader, it was for one mission only and it was quite brief.

- Mostly bug free compared to Adapt and especially in comparison to Survive even with so many scripts running. Some optimisation could be done in a few of the later missions though, since I was getting around 20 FPS even when there wasn't any fighting going on.

The Bad:

- Why's this episode so short overall? Even going through both endings, the duration of the campaign would tally up to less than 3-4 hours.

- The aforementioned FPS lag. Might want to think about optimising a bit more of the missions so that they don't lag as much (it's not absolutely terribad, but it can become just barely playable).

Game Over in particular is an example of this; it will often lead to crashes if you don't end up quitting yourself when the lag hits the moment you walk near a town.

...and The Ugly:

- The endings and plot holes. You had a great build up and pacing with all of the missions and then...that's it? Not to mention all of the questions that remain unanswered

if you choose to find James. Going back to the research facility after Miller gives you the middle finger over the radio (I'm sure no one saw that coming! /sarcasm) to "find answers" just leads to even more confusion. It seems you bring Miller only one of the devices when there's clearly 4 more of them sitting in the dome (and probably even more in CSAT territory since those scientists obviously weren't the only ones who knew about the weapon).

So why's CSAT starting WW3 over one of them when it could've just retrieved the other 4 quietly without NATO even noticing? It's not like NATO knows where the facility is or knows about the device in the first place.

The alternate ending leaves you on a cliffhanger while also not providing any background information, with the exception of scattered news reports on the radio and a snooping journalist of course...

All things considered, the campaign felt more akin to A2 vanilla but with better writing (minus Win's endings being not so great), which is a good thing since it didn't become a showcase campaign like OA. The groundwork's been laid for a expansion pack, so hopefully this next Pacific crisis that keeps getting mentioned in the briefing notes, radio news and idle chatter; whichever of the endings BIS consider to be canon for it hopefully will provide answers and have a better conclusion than Win to dust off A3's storyline properly.