Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaign Episode 3: WIN - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

I don't like the last episode.

The first one was great, you could see the story developing, feel with the characters, also because of the nice voice acting and the atmospheric parts whjere you walk through forests etc.

In Adapt, things were still very well put. The missions did not have such a strong overall story and were more loosely connected than in survive, but still, it felt cool.

Win however is more like a mission pack without a good story and you never feel really engaged. Make some patrol jobs longer, give players more time to think and position their units. Also, I started laughing when I saw the credits and thought "wait, they can't finish this thing before it really started!". I expected piloting a jet on being a tank platoon leader, maybe shelling some enemy sites with artillery. But no, we still play the same infantryman as in survive. Where are the new things to try out which you made us expect?

Finally, I think the campaign started off as an awesome piece of art, but it seems like BIS ran out of money, time or both as adapt barely managed to keep the high level of entertation and win totally failed, atleast for me.

While I don't mind the focus on infantry in the campaign (indeed all through ARMA3) 'Win' is still a bit of a let down. Where's the sense of being part of the larger re-invasion of Altis? Where are the side missions? What happened to use of the campaign map? As the above poster says, it does really feel like the project ran out of money and steam at the end. :( (Still I'm not complaining about ARMA3 overall - I've got over 220 hours logged so far...

I'd love for someone to explain why you can't save on the last mission. Walking around forever in the dark, just to get gunned down, is no fun. It's just not. Especially when you have to restart and hear the same speech, go through the same scripted sequence, etc. I don't understand the logic here? Oh, it's the very last mission, so let's make it ridiculously hard, because that's somehow rewarding? I'd love to grab a helo or whatever and get off the island, but sorry, I don't have all night to play the dumb end sequence over and over.

I'd love for someone to explain why you can't save on the last mission. Walking around forever in the dark, just to get gunned down, is no fun. It's just not. Especially when you have to restart and hear the same speech, go through the same scripted sequence, etc. I don't understand the logic here? Oh, it's the very last mission, so let's make it ridiculously hard, because that's somehow rewarding? I'd love to grab a helo or whatever and get off the island, but sorry, I don't have all night to play the dumb end sequence over and over.

Maybe there are things hidden within the mission, which may explain events to come (i.e. the expansion) and the continuation of the story/reveal some kind of easter egg, which is rewarded to only the best players who can survive everything.

Also, it's probably just a message that Kerry is insignificant to the story afterwards; it doesn't matter whether he lives or dies, because Kerry can be said to officially die in one of the endings if you die as him on this mission (however, if it is revealed later whether or not one of the endings is canon, we won't know for sure if he survived or not).

For me the campaing was more like: Hey we made wipeout look how awsome it is! hey look our cool rocketpods and this is how you use supports training. liked the survive part but the 2 others meh..

I think Game Over means that Kerry is no longer the focus of the story. The new focus are Miller and the Device.

This is the mother of all stupid questions, but in "Preventive Diplomacy", where on earth do you find the UAV? I notice one flying above, and I do have a UAV terminal with me, but for the life of me I can't see anywhere a UAV on the ground that I can use. There's also the other stupid message about sniper weapons, also MIA...

On Moral Fibre the leader screams at me to follow and i do then i get Mission Failed, this is the "Follow" task just after helping the pinned down squad.

Reverted it with no addons, works now.

Edited by Eskodas

This is the mother of all stupid questions, but in "Preventive Diplomacy", where on earth do you find the UAV? I notice one flying above, and I do have a UAV terminal with me, but for the life of me I can't see anywhere a UAV on the ground that I can use. There's also the other stupid message about sniper weapons, also MIA...

Open the UAV terminal and rightclick on the blue UAV and select connect terminal. You can now control the UAV.

The sniper rifles are on top of the solar power focus building. It's a looong climb to get up there.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. In the end, I finished the mission without it.

Btw, I can also add my own frustration at the 'Win' part story-wise. Thoroughly disappointing :(

Am I the only one here who liked the WIN part of the campaign?

Sure, there were things I didn't agree with, but even in the last mission (Game Over) I find an enjoyable aspect, as it resembles "Eagle Wing" or "After Montignac."

Which isn't the only resemblance to OFP, I think the first mission in WIN is very similar to "Nightpatrol," the mission where, after returning from the rebels you are reunited with NATO, that doesn't care about FIA and just orders you to guard the coast that is immediately attacked by spec ops. It's just waaay too similar to be a coincidence :p

The campaign could have been longer and it could have been more polished in a way that players would feel that their choices make a difference,

especially the side missions, where you seize weapons cache or repair an APC,

but overall it has been a nice experience. Thumbs up for the voice acting, that is Miles ahead (lame pun intended) from what we've heard before.

Just a question: Why no fancy OFP-like cutscenes? :)

Bit disappointed with "Win" also. Share above sentiments that seemed short and not enough of the "sweeping large scale re-take the Island" I was expecting. There's all these great locations in Altis and the campaign plot didn't seem to go there. Not saying it should have been like a tourist video but still....;-) Did seem rushed over all....

Is it just me or in the editor there are a couple of [men story] CSAT we never encounter?

Here is my current feedback for "Win":

I did quit the Episode in the first mission during the "Flanking" around Neochori.

It is unplayable. I'm getting around 30fps on idle walking but as soon as any unit starts firing and AIs are engaging each other, the performance drops below 20 at once. And that is unplayable.

My rig is todays upper mid-end, My cores are all unparked and assigned to the game, my graphic settings are moderate/high (that doesn't really matter - Settings low and ultra have a 1-2fps difference) with fps-killer ambient occlusion on the lowest setting, vsync off, view distance 2.5k and all those startup paramteres like "-maxmem etc" are enabled.

Question to those who finished it already: Are the upcoming missions less CPU-heavy? Anybody else facing this? Will it get better during the episode? Should I just endure the low fps on this mission to continue the campaign?

Otherwise I will wait for optimizations. That will hopefully arrive sooner or later. After all, my PC isn't that bad - I don't want to know what people with less powerful rigs think about this.

Just restarted an earlier saved game over from the weekend. Now I can't save the mission. Seriously is this by design? Does anyone know a work around if so? I'm on a difficulty setting that should allow saves but this is likely to piss me off if it's an exploration type mission where saving is not allowed.

thanks for any help/suggestions

Question to those who finished it already: Are the upcoming missions less CPU-heavy?

I have a pretty decent rig, and I can certainly testify performance drops occasionally.

Elaborating on why I found 'Win' disappointing:

(I'm overdoing it with spoiler tags maybe, but I prefer to err on the side of safety)

- There just isn't any larger-scale context. The whole story so far has been secretive, suggestive, whatever you wanna call it, but at least it had the elements for an interesting finale. Well, apart from the questions that are unanswered, the biggest issue is that there isn't any political/"rest of the world" dimension offered. The setup for Survive and, to a lesser extent, Adapt was pretty good in that respect. You had a feeling of something bigger existing out there, that will be revealed in due course. Well, it didn't.

- OK, this is a matter of taste, but the weather was really monotonous in Win. I mean, come on!

"Altis" (Lemnos) is famed for having sunshine 300 days a year.. How about some eye-candy sunsets or sunrise? How about changing weather? "It can't rain all the time!" ;)

The weather engine of Arma is really cool, I'm surprised the designers of Win didn't want to show it off more.

- Location choice was boring.

I understand the strategic plot called for moving the campaign eastwards, but still... And hey, why not including a mission at the Ghost Hotel?! Can you imagine how cool a stealthy, night-time mission would've been there?

- Missions really lacked in variety.

No detonation missions, no stealthy movement, no procuring secret files (just throwing ideas here). Just monotonous combined arms assaults for the most part. Not to mention, complete lack of twist-of-fate sidetracking, like in Adapt. No playable at least. Couple of fait-accompli in the end, and that's it

-

Unanswered questions. Gee, where do I begin? The whole earthquake thing was weird, but what was worst is that it was never explained. Nor was it the outcome. Who, why, where, what...

Just restarted an earlier saved game over from the weekend. Now I can't save the mission. Seriously is this by design? Does anyone know a work around if so? I'm on a difficulty setting that should allow saves but this is likely to piss me off if it's an exploration type mission where saving is not allowed.

thanks for any help/suggestions

It's intended, unfortunately.

Unanswered questions. Gee, where do I begin? The whole earthquake thing was weird, but what was worst is that it was never explained. Nor was it the outcome. Who, why, where, what...

Which ending did you choose? Some of the things are answered in the Miller ending.

oooh shit!

Thanks for the reply but that's a really good way of not making me enjoy the mission. Been shot dead at the dome twice and starting to think I can't be arsed...... which is a really bad thing in my view.:-(

oooh shit!

Thanks for the reply but that's a really good way of not making me enjoy the mission. Been shot dead at the dome twice and starting to think I can't be arsed...... which is a really bad thing in my view.:-(

Yeah, (sh)it happens. I'd recommend getting the first Zafir you can and if you see someone with a Zafir try to kill them with a grenade. Zafir OP!!!

Thanks for the tip mate. Reckon I'll give it a few more tries....... I hope exploring the dome is worth my frustration....

Thanks for the tip mate. Reckon I'll give it a few more tries....... I hope exploring the dome is worth my frustration....
Just a quick, non-spoilerous hint: If you think the rest of the mission will be less frustrating, you're gonna have a bad time :p

One thing I dislike about BIS campaigns, but the 'Win' episode in particular, is that BIS often goes on about how you're just 'a small cog in the machine', but that just isn't true of Win. You're a corporal, later a sergeant, yet you have frequent chats with the task force commander - a General. He just calls you up in the middle of a mission to talk about Miller, earthquakes, or how the mission is going. Then during the NATO ending, the task force waits for Sergeant Kerry to show up before making their final push, and the General tells Kerry personally that he wants him to lead the attack. You're not just some NCO, you're the center of the universe. That's nothing new in video games, and there's nothing really wrong with it, but claiming otherwise is disingenuous.

Which ending did you choose? Some of the things are answered in the Miller ending.

I played both. I didn't find any great explanation in the Miller ending either - in some sense, it introduced more questions. For example, why did

CSAT and AAF began fighting each other? Not to mention that, what? Kerry goes home? No court martial for helping Miller?What does NATO do? What does the world do? At least the NATO ending wrapped things up a bit, although it was still puzzling that CSAT just disappeared

Cheers guys. I think depbo may end up being my friend on this one;-)

I played both. I didn't find any great explanation in the Miller ending either - in some sense, it introduced more questions. For example, why did

CSAT and AAF began fighting each other? Not to mention that, what? Kerry goes home? No court martial for helping Miller?What does NATO do? What does the world do? At least the NATO ending wrapped things up a bit, although it was still puzzling that CSAT just disappeared

CSAT were doing research for their earthquake device on Altis with AAF as their cover. They didn't really care about the AAF. In the NATO ending, they have no problems with the device and just get it out of there safely, so there's no need for a counter attack and AAF is left alone. However, in the Miller ending, the device gets stolen, so they launch a counter attack to get it. They don't need the AAF anymore, so they just kill them. The Altians probably wouldn't be too happy knowing CSAT have been causing all of the earthquakes, either.

CSAT were doing research for their earthquake device on Altis with AAF as their cover. They didn't really care about the AAF. In the NATO ending, they have no problems with the device and just get it out of there safely, so there's no need for a counter attack and AAF is left alone. However, in the Miller ending, the device gets stolen, so they launch a counter attack to get it. They don't need the AAF anymore, so they just kill them. The Altians probably wouldn't be too happy knowing CSAT have been causing all of the earthquakes, either.

Well, that plot does make some sense, although it still has holes a whole...truck can go through. Like,

if CSAT was there just to test, then...why we're they there in the first place? Why not testing in Mongolia or somewhere. It's the equivalent of NATO testing a top-secret weapon in a cave in Afghanistan