Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaign Episode 3: WIN - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Stratis and Altis are not located on their 'original' coordinates, but moved to become part of the Mediterranean Ridge. The device presumably only enhances (or triggers) seismic activity, without actually producing the earthquakes. Would you start a top secret research facility on a frontline? I know I wouldn't, unless the location is of primary importance...

There should have been tremors throughout the entire campaign; it would have given a reason for the large scale civilian evacuation of the islands.

Plus: the Big One - submerging the islands - would not have come as a surprise to the international community, making an investigation improbable and, with all the evidence being destroyed, almost impossible.

Edited by NoPOW

actually, you would encounter James and CSAT after you regroup with NATO. But it won't trigger the script...

It was a well known fact ever since Altis was released on devbranch. The coordinates of the islands are displayed during loading screens.

Ah, okay then. My bad.

I think I'm extremely disappointed in the "Paradise Found"-final mission, but I'm honestly not really sure if I played it right.

I opted for the "Meet up with Crossroads"-alternative, because I was of the impression that it was a climactic final assault on the remaining AAF. Someone here on the forum even called it an "all-out-war". Holy shit; was I disappointed.

I meet up with Crossroads, standing before a platoon-sized task-force complete with artillery and mechanized infantry. The guy tells me I have "command" of the mission. "Awesome!", I think. Is it going to be a High Command-type thing, where I get to command and coordinate all these squads?

Apparently not. Nothing happens. I get assigned four people, and head off, all alone, leaving this sizable force just standing behind. On the way, I even pass by a tank-squadron, just standing around. I climb a hill, brush away a few AAF-people, and spend the next ten minutes just lying there, telling artillery where to shoot. Suddenly, a message appears, telling me they have surrendered without a fight.

Oh, wow.

Seriously, Random Forum Person Whose Name I Can't Remember? Is this your idea of "ALL-OUT-WAR"? Lying on a lonely rock and watching little puffs of smoke go "poof" in the distance, until "YOU WIN" appears on the screen?

Please tell me I did something wrong, or that the developer branch suffered a pre-release bug, because this "climax" was shit. Was the High Command-module supposed to initiate, but the game had bugged out, or something?

Please tell me there's more than this.

Edited by St!gar

I think I'm extremely disappointed in the "Paradise Found"-final mission, but I'm honestly not really sure if I played it right.

I opted for the "Meet up with Crossroads"-alternative, because I was of the impression that it was a climactic final assault on the remaining AAF. Someone here on the forum even called it an "all-out-war". Holy shit; was I disappointed.

I meet up with Crossroads, standing before a platoon-sized task-force complete with artillery and mechanized infantry. The guy tells me I have "command" of the mission. "Awesome!", I think. Is it going to be a High Command-type thing, where I get to command and coordinate all these squads?

Apparently not. Nothing happens. I get assigned four people, and head off, all alone, leaving this sizable force just standing behind. On the way, I even pass by a tank-squadron, just standing around. I climb a hill, brush away a few AAF-people, and spend the next ten minutes just lying there, telling artillery where to shoot. Suddenly, a message appears, telling me they have surrendered without a fight.

Oh, wow.

Seriously, Random Forum Person Whose Name I Can't Remember? Is this your idea of "ALL-OUT-WAR"? Lying on a lonely rock and watching little puffs of smoke go "poof" in the distance, until "YOU WIN" appears on the screen?

Please tell me I did something wrong, or that the developer branch suffered a pre-release bug, because this "climax" was shit. Was the High Command-module supposed to initiate, but the game had bugged out, or something?

Please tell me there's more than this.

I was the one who said that (lol). Yeah, there's supposed to be massive, gigantic battle there, at least that's what I experienced. All of my armour met their armour, and I was assisting them with my AT capabilities, shooting other soldiers, calling artillery, etc. It was all-out war, but after about 10 minutes, as you're winning, they are supposed to surrender.

I got same experience with Stigar.

I had very dense fog with little visibility, so my team crept forward and call in fire mission. Then we won.

I was the one who said that (lol). Yeah, there's supposed to be massive, gigantic battle there, at least that's what I experienced. All of my armour met their armour, and I was assisting them with my AT capabilities, shooting other soldiers, calling artillery, etc. It was all-out war, but after about 10 minutes, as you're winning, they are supposed to surrender.

What? How did that happen? You must have done something I fucked up. Could you try and remember the events before?

I got same experience with Stigar.

I had very dense fog with little visibility, so my team crept forward and call in fire mission. Then we won.

I think Jinzor may have been able to trigger the assault by some means that we missed.

Edited by St!gar

What?! How... whuh? How did that happen? You must have done something I failed to do. Could you try and remember the events before?

I think Jinzor may have been able to trigger the assault by some means that we missed.

Keep in mind that the version I played was before the patch, I'm guessing you played after the patch? Maybe there's a bug?

I remember getting my squad members into a car while hearing loads of loud noises (NATO vehicles moving all at once, then some stopping/starting). At that point I just wanted to get the mission over and done with so I drove as fast as I could down the road, expecting to get destroyed, which I almost was. I parked near a gas station with one of my team members dead. I shot my way through some soldiers after disembarking from the car, hearing an increasing number of background explosions. So, I decided to help my tanks out because I thought that there may be a trigger where, if too many NATO vehicles/soldiers are destroyed, the mission is failed. I use my rocket launcher against a T-100, the crew disembarks. I see a single Slammer driving within 400 meters of me, it looks damaged. I get killed by a T-100, so I play again from just before shooting that first T-100 and hit him again, the Slammer isn't here this time. I shoot at another T-100, call in some arty because I'm sick of all of these AAF, and just when the arty is hitting the ground I hear Crossroads saying that the AAF have surrendered.

I remember getting my squad members into a car while hearing loads of loud noises (NATO vehicles moving all at once, then some stopping/starting). At that point I just wanted to get the mission over and done with so I drove as fast as I could down the road, expecting to get destroyed, which I almost was. I parked near a gas station with one of my team members dead. I shot my way through some soldiers after disembarking from the car, hearing an increasing number of background explosions. So, I decided to help my tanks out because I thought that there may be a trigger where, if too many NATO vehicles/soldiers are destroyed, the mission is failed. I use my rocket launcher against a T-100, the crew disembarks. I see a single Slammer driving within 400 meters of me, it looks damaged. I get killed by a T-100, so I play again from just before shooting that first T-100 and hit him again, the Slammer isn't here this time. I shoot at another T-100, call in some arty because I'm sick of all of these AAF, and just when the arty is hitting the ground I hear Crossroads saying that the AAF have surrendered.

Were you on the hill?

Were you on the hill?

No, I drove straight down the main road into their lines because I'd been playing for about 4 hours and wanted to see what happened if I did. It just continued after that.

Stratis and Altis are not located on their 'original' coordinates, but moved to become part of the Mediterranean Ridge. [...] Would you start a top secret research facility on a frontline? I know I wouldn't, unless the location is of primary importance...

I don't think that location is actually on the Mediterranean Ridge, but if seismic activity is the reason CSAT chose Altis to develop or test their device, it now makes even less sense that the AAF attacked NATO when they were about to leave the islands anyway. If they'd waited for NATO to complete their withdrawal, CSAT could have worked on the weapon without any NATO interference. The AAF aggression guaranteed that NATO would respond, putting CSAT's plans in jeopardy. You could say that Miller somehow forced the AAF attack, but I don't see how that helps him, as surely it would have been easier for his team to acquire the device without a war going on. Although I guess you could say that he did it so CSAT's attention would be elsewhere, but that still seems a bit drastic.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

No, I drove straight down the main road into their lines because I'd been playing for about 4 hours and wanted to see what happened if I did. It just continued after that.

I tried doing the same, just now. After having talked to Crossroads, I boarded the vehicle I had driven there, and just drove straight ahead on the road. No-one followed. After having driven straight ahead for a while, I came under fire from a whole bunch of enemies, and were blown up.

EDIT.

Come to think of it - are you sure there was a big battle there? From your description, it sounds almost as though you heard noises and assumed there were friendlies following you, with the only friendly you ever actually saw was that one single tank. (That wasn't there when you re-loaded, so it may have been a fluke.)

Edited by St!gar

So has anyone been able to do both epilogues? I went through the second-to-last mission twice, choosing a choice each time. I got the Miller one (my ending on the first playthrough), but I did the Crossroads ending the second time and didn't get that epilogue.

So has anyone been able to do both epilogues? I went through the second-to-last mission twice, choosing a choice each time. I got the Miller one (my ending on the first playthrough), but I did the Crossroads ending the second time and didn't get that epilogue.

I was able to get them both. You have to click "Revert", not "Replay" on the main menu.

I was able to get them both. You have to click "Revert", not "Replay" on the main menu.

Oh, maybe that's what I did. Will try that.

I agree that this campaign felt too short. Which is a shame because I was loving it, the combined arms assaults, the voice acting (seemed improved), the general feel of it just felt so much better. It does seem really ridiculously short though.

I agree that this campaign felt too short. Which is a shame because I was loving it, the combined arms assaults, the voice acting (seemed improved), the general feel of it just felt so much better. It does seem really ridiculously short though.

The atmosphere was something that can't be described, it all felt realistic, an alive world, in this last episode the immersion was awesome, it felt like a war.

anyone else was having less than 10fps in 'Moral Fiber', especially where you have to

take out a stationed tank in the village

?

:mad:

That ending left some serious questions though and that always irks me.

I like the majority of the campaign, but I'm pretty disappointed in the ending

I'd have liked a bit more action in the miller ending, instead of just

a quick steal the car mission and a singleplayer escape altis mission

add something in between. along the lines of actually finding out wtf that thing is and what miller is planning on doing and maybe tagging along because he needs the extra man-power. getting a nice mission that concludes a whole lot and gives some closure/happy ending stuff or whatever for option B. i dunno, i enjoyed the campaign but i was kinda surprised when it just ended so abruptly

yeh, this third episode of campaign was botched up... probably due to lack of imagination, inspiration and motivation (or probably the three at a time). (when you compare the story writing of a game like 'MAFIA') ....

and why it's impossible to make fucking game saves and resume at the very end to escape altis???

I have to agree that it felt inconclusive, needed to be longer.

However

I felt that BI made a huge leap in mission making. All of the missions ran ran much better than the previous chapters of the east wind (surprisingly less laggy than the survive episode, despite its being on stratus), they made much better use of the altis terrain, and felt much more intense and involved, like you were actually fighting a losing battle for the island, also incorporating some real story aspects, especially with the device. Also, having A-164s screaming overhead didn't hurt. It was a wonderful breath of fresh air, especially compared to some of the missions which felt more go-here-destroy-this-plot-twist-lost-transport-surprise-find-truck-return-to-base missions that make up some of the other episodes and lots of the steam workshop. I can also say the same for the new fixed wing showcase. It feels like a whole new game. I feel like BI has finally made the jump and can really begin their development on the game. This is where all the fun starts, and I have to say, I'm f**king excited.

I've been fucking around some more with the "Paradise Found"-mission, and have been able to trigger an assault. There are only two problems.

1) The "assault" is still a bit shit.

2) The AAF surrenders before they even bloody get there.

In short; what you have to do, is order an artillery strike of your choice on the south-eastern armoured unit, marked out on your map. It consists of about four armoured vehicles. When they are destroyed, Kerry will inform Echo that the enemy has been "softened up", and that they are cleared to assault. Echo then starts the advance. Problematically, though, it turns out that the entirety of Echo task force is about four tanks.

Not that this matters, though, because the AAF will formally declare their surrender way before the four tanks even get moderately close.

Such a wasted opportunity.

Edited by St!gar

That's too bad, I'm sure that a lot of mission makers here (like me) had a lot of ideas/scenarios to make a really good, long and entertaining campaign.