Sign in to follow this  
speedygonzales

Help with normalmaps ?

I want to add a patch to a uniform, so that the patch on the uniform looks more 3d or has more depth and is sharper.

I informed me about making a normalmap but how can i get it where i want, in my case on the place where the Blufor flag is.

So that the plastic cover is away and only my patch can be seen with a little 3d touch.

Or what do i need for it, mayby anyone can help me out.

Best regards speedy

Edit : For everyone is interested in this, i have found some information.

http://tactical.nekromantix.com/wiki/doku.php?id=arma:texturing:normal_maps

Edited by Speedygonzales

I would suggest creating a high-poly mesh of the patch and using a projection modifier to render your normal map onto a plane. This is the ideal way to do such a thing, normal map generation software can work in a pinch, or is suitable for very scarred up and noisy surfaces like sand or some stone...but nothing will ever beat a proper normal bake.

To remove the plastic pouch you really just need to adjust the specular map to make the area not reflective, not sure if the plastic pouch is actualy on the normal map, but if it is, you have to do the same, convert the maps to .tga and then work some magic in Photoshop, you then need to setup a .rvmat to point to your new textures and use hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] in the same way as hiddenSelectionTextures[] to replace the default one on the uniforms.

As for normal mapping a pouch, i use nDO2 by Quixel, it is extremely good once you learn how to do all the tricks to get your intended result, however xNormal and its photoshop plugins can convert a 2d image into a normal map with decent results.

Could always just use two seperate normal maps, one for the 3d area, one for the flat area. Not ideal but would work