Sign in to follow this  
king_richard

strategicMarkers - array's of markers for Altis

I've created an sqf file that contains multiple pre-defined arrays of what I'm considering strategic locations. What I have so far is:

bld_Barracks = [];

bld_CargoHouse = [];

bld_Factory = [];

bld_HQ = [];

bld_MilOffice = [];

urb_Capital = [];

urb_City = [];

urb_Village = [];

All arrays have been sorted for left to right calculations. Simply meaning, the furthest left village on the map is the first index and the last village on the right is the last index of that array. I've found that searches for markers seem to be a lot quicker then searches for buildings, or locations. Not verified, just observation.

Creating these arrays has cut my load time down significantly, as compared to running a search on init. I've also setup a function for searching for the nearest marker and some other nifty stuff. From what I've noticed, there's quite a few people who are doing similar things and figured this could come in handy for anyone who has not set up something similar. I keep finding more and more things that can be done with markers each day! My next step is add in the hills, or peaks that are labeled on the map, helipads, open areas near towns and other sorts of useful areas. But, those things are extra's that aren't as commonly used. One other note is that all building markers are for building pos 0, that may come in handy for enter-able buildings.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with so far is how many times I'm repeating createMarker and the like! Just haven't quite figured out how I could simplify that process into a function that'd be simple yet flexible. Also, what I couldn't figure how to do is to create an array that stores positions and names, and how to call such an array for what I wanted it for. Instead I've created arrays for the locations of the urban areas and the names seperateley, which are then combined upon marker creation.

Think that pretty much sums it up, have something to add, let me know. Any questions, go ahead. Hopefully someone will find it of use.

strategicMarkers

If your interested in doing it yourself, then check this Link

Nice work, thanks!