Sign in to follow this  
Axek/Axyl

Mobile Phone based DAGR

Hey Everyone,

Rosuto's ACE DAGR in A2 used to annoy me in that you had to use the mouse to interact with the keys. (So I wrote an A2 Addon that used a map mouse click to add a waypoint to the DAGR.) For A3, I thought it might be interesting to try and make a similar DAGR that runs on your mobile phone instead. While you're in game, with a GPS, the addon would send your position and other navigation details to your mobile phone, which is running a DAGR interface to display the data. The app would be able to work with waypoints etc and be (arguably) easier to interact with than an on screen version.

So far I have...

• Developed an addon that grabs your positional details and sends it to an extension.
  • Developed an extension that sends that data over UDP to a configured destination IP/Port. (This extension could be used by any A3 code to send UDP based data to any destination)
  • Created an Android prototype app that displays that data, updating every ten seconds.

5YvbSSLl.jpg

Screenshot of my Android app showing the positional data.

For simplicity (and laziness) the datagram packet is in JSON format, currently looking like this...

{"x":1795.38,"y":5844.65,"alt":5.50144,"dir":139.823,"spd":13.2}

If anyone's interested in creating an iPhone version, then let me know.

Awesome work dude,

I've been hanging out for modders to make addons that pipe data out to external devices like this.

Would really love at some point if we could port a full gps/map onto a tablet or at least an external app for secondary monitors or networked computers...

Awesome work dude,

I've been hanging out for modders to make addons that pipe data out to external devices like this.

Would really love at some point if we could port a full gps/map onto a tablet or at least an external app for secondary monitors or networked computers...

Now that shit would be ridiculously amazing :)

EDIT:

And great work man!

Edited by RAINF

That's not difficult at all.

My AAR (link in Sig) essentially does that now, just not in real time...and making it real time isn't a big deal. (My code is there for anyone to modify.)

Awesome work dude,

Yeah dude, having the map, fully interactive and markable, in your phone or tablet would be sweet!

Awesome work dude,

As I would say it myself. Get this on iPhone with map and everything included. That would be amazing.

As I would say it myself. Get this on iPhone with map and everything included. That would be amazing.

Nah man, android :P

This is something I have wanted for a while, there is so much potential to link ArmA to external devices and applications to improve gameplay (and realisim in some situations). I think i'll be keeping my eye on this.

That's not difficult at all.

My AAR (link in Sig) essentially does that now, just not in real time...and making it real time isn't a big deal. (My code is there for anyone to modify.)

Can confirm its easy as hell, I did a quick prototype a few months ago using leaflet and some custom made tiles. Its shockingly easy, I only stopped messing with it because I didn't think anyone would actually use something like that.

(And the fact the titles for stratis took a couple of hours to generate. I wonder purely on a technical level how you did it for your AAR system?)

Very cool Ax!

We're doing live map updates to a web based app with ALiVE. Its still WIP, but people will see it come together once we launch the ALiVE War Room... soon :) Closed testers can vouch for War Room already as its been tested now for a month or two.

If there are any budding c# developers out there that are interested in external apps/devices, we'd love to work with you!

Would be very cool to get the map onto my ipad.... imagine being able to draw out markers and direct arty etc off the tablet, love it !

SJ

things like this assure me i'll be enjoying this game for years. can't wait to see what comes next

i'mma just throw this concept out there too - with location data exported to a phone, some devices support external gps inputs: it would be feasible to generate OpenStreetMap data (or equiv) for turn-by-turn road navigation in game :D

(that could also just be piled into its own dll for an ingame-only gps...)

This is something I have wanted for a while, there is so much potential to link ArmA to external devices and applications to improve gameplay (and realisim in some situations). I think i'll be keeping my eye on this.

Can confirm its easy as hell, I did a quick prototype a few months ago using leaflet and some custom made tiles. Its shockingly easy, I only stopped messing with it because I didn't think anyone would actually use something like that.

(And the fact the titles for stratis took a couple of hours to generate. I wonder purely on a technical level how you did it for your AAR system?)

For the map tiles, I exported the map via the Topography cheat and then cut it up with Map Tiler. Two of the tile sets are in the download area for my mass AAR, if you want them. But some of the CTB guys have also taken higher res images and created better detail tiles. Yet to finish up integrating those.

I also wrote a map scrolling script that moves through the map at different zoom levels, taking screenshots and saving them preset as tiles. (The extension takes a screenshot and cuts up only the relevant pixel area desired.) But it needed a bit of polish and in retrospect, the detail we have works well already.