clements

[SP] Flight School 101

loadScreen_zps45468430.jpg

FLIGHT SCHOOL 101

Version: 1.01

By: clementsX

Description

Welcome to flight school, today you will be tested in 1 of 3 helicopter variants. You will fly a predefined course with only 2 requirements.

#1 - Do Not Exceed 20m Above Ground Level

#2 - Do Not deviate to far off course (Course being the road)

Under Construction

Installation:

Add files to your missions folder in base A3 folder.

Changelog

v1.01

Added scripts to automatically check height and remind you to stay below 20m.

Added ambience

Changed everywhere that feet were used as a reference to Meters (thanks beerKan)

Coming Soon:

Working on a point system where everytime you cross a waypoint or marker a point is awarded. Or even something that displays how far you have traveled from start to finish.

Any help would be appreciated

Credits & Thanks:

sickemx - For being bored one day and flying this exact path and recording it.

beerKan - For the assistance with scripting

Armaholic mirror:

- Flight School 101 v1.01

Edited by clements
Download Link Added

You might be better off renaming this mission as Height School 101. :p

.... #1 - Do Not Exceed 20 ft. Above Ground Level

Game measures in metres not feet.

Coming Soon:

Working on a point system, or a distance traveled script, but as I am new to scripting it is going to be a little while.

This might get you started. You don't need all those triggers you layed down.

Check-Helicopter-height-and-warm-if-above-certain-height

Thank you Beerkan, I made some small changes in the post. I am taking a look at your script that you posted, and am planning on implementing it, testing it now.

Do you happen to know a way I can set up some type of distance traveled, or scoring system?

This flight path is actually a challenge amongst a couple of us on our Team. Hence why I made it. If I could have a scoring system of some sort, we could turn this into a small competition.

Thanks again.

Thank you Beerkan, I made some small changes in the post. I am taking a look at your script that you posted, and am planning on implementing it, testing it now.

Do you happen to know a way I can set up some type of distance traveled, or scoring system?

This flight path is actually a challenge amongst a couple of us on our Team. Hence why I made it. If I could have a scoring system of some sort, we could turn this into a small competition.

Thanks again.

OK, without giving you the answer, I'll point you in the right direction. The following scripts are from my un-released mission "I believe I can fly" which I wrote for myself and my friends. This tested

everything about flying. Keeping low, blowing up targets, following a low flight path, and landing in very tight spots etc. It didn't kill the player, just added and removed points based on the success or failure of missions, including adding 1 second for every second the heightwarn height was broken.

Here's my height check script with a new heightwarn variable.

// heightcheck.sqf by Beerkan 1.20
// Put this in the init of the unit to check it's height
// null = [25] execVM "scripts\heightcheck.sqf";
heightwarn = 0;
_maxheight = _this select 0;
if !(isServer) exitwith{};
sleep 1;

while {alive player} do 
{
	if ((vehicle player) isKindOf "Helicopter" && (getPos (vehicle player) select 2) > _maxheight)
	then
		{titletext[format["STAY BELOW %1m PILOT!!",_maxheight],"PLAIN"];titleFadeOut 1;
		sleep 2;
		heightwarn = heightwarn +1;
		};
};

To set the scene, here's the trigger. I used RadioAlpha script when RadioAlpha was selected. This created a marker on the map at an invisible marker location called "Small_Radar1" and set a waypoint for the pilot to fly to. Note also, heightwarn is set to 0.

// Trigger 
_group = group player;

titletext[format["OK.. First target now on the map."],"PLAIN"];
_marker = createMarker ["Small Radar", position Small_Radar1 ];"Small Radar" setMarkerColor "ColorRed";"Small Radar" setMarkerType "mil_destroy";

_wp0 = _group addwaypoint[position Small_Radar1,0];_wp0 setwaypointtype "Destroy";_wp0 setWaypointSpeed "full";

heightwarn = 0;
objective=["Destroy the Radar","Small_Radar1",300] execVM "scripts\Countdown.sqf";

The Countdown script was called to measure the time taken and added heightwarn penalties score to the time. The countdown script also displayed the current objective, the time taken and the height penalty.

// Countdown.sqf
// Put this in the init of the triger
// Where _timer is clock countdown= ["Mission Name","invisible marker to create the target at","Time allowed"]
// i.e.
// _timer = ["Destroy the Radar","Small_Radar1",300] execVM "Countdown.sqf";

_mission = _this select 0;
_target = _this select 1;
_timeleft = _this select 2;
_timeallowed = _this select 2;

SRadar1_dead = false;

while {true} do {

hintSilent parsetext format ["<br /><t align='center' color='#FFFFFF' size='1.2'>** OBJECTIVE **</t><br /><t align='center' color='#00CD00' size='1.0'>Destroy the Small Radar</t><br /><t align='center' color='#EE9A49' size='1.4'>Time left: %1</t><br /><t align='left' color='#FF0000' size='0.8'>Height Penalty:- %2</t><br /><br />",[((_timeleft) / 60)+.01,"HH:MM"]call bis_fnc_TimeToString,heightwarn];

if (SRadar1_dead) exitWith{
_timetaken = _timeallowed - _timeleft;
penalty = _timetaken + heightwarn;

hintSilent parsetext format ["<br /><t align='center' color='#DAA520' size='1.2'>** SUCCESS!! **</t><br /><t align='center' color='#00CD00' size='1.0'>Destroy the Small Radar</t><br /><t align='center' color='#FF0000' size='1.4'>TARGET DESTROYED!!</t><br /><t align='center' color='#EE9A49' size='1.0'>Time Taken: %1</t><br /><t align='center' color='#FF0000' size='1.0'>Plus Height Penalty %2</t><br /><t align='center' color='#FF0000' size='1.0'>Total Time: %3</t><br /><br />",[((_timetaken) / 60)+.01,"HH:MM"]call bis_fnc_TimeToString,heightwarn,penalty];

};

if (_timeleft < 1) exitWith{
hintSilent parsetext format ["<br /><t align='center' color='#FF0000' size='1.2'>** FAILED!! **</t><br /><t align='center' color='#00CD00' size='1.0'>Destroy the Small Radar</t><br /><t align='center' color='#FFFFFF' size='1.4'>YOU FAILED!!</t><br /><br />"];

};
 _timeleft = _timeleft -1;
sleep 1;
};

titletext[format["Move on to the next target."],"PLAIN"];

What I'm hoping you will pick up from the above scripts is how to display a timer, how to add/subtract points and how to display failure.

What you could also do is create a variable called _score and on arrival at each waypoint set _score = _score +1. Then display both the score and the heightwarn on mission end. That gives you the target to achieve amongst your friends.

Again, I'm not giving you the answer, just pointers on how to do it.

Edited by Beerkan

I appreciate your assistance, however Like I mentioned in my original post I am very new to scripting. So alot of what is happening in your scripts I do not understand. The Heightcheck script that you originally linked me to, I figured that one out pretty easily, and modified it so that the warning was displayed at 15m But the Punishment for exceeding flight height was still carried out at 20m. Now these scripts, I will read into them more, and play with them a bit, and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

@Beerkan - I am currently playing around with the provided scripts, seeing what is calling for what.

What I am trying to do with it now, is this.

Pilot flies to marker1 in 30 seconds if he makes it, he is awarded 1 point, and given the next task (m2,m3,m4,m5,m6 so forth) Each time being given 1 point. If the task is failed the mission should restart.

Edited by clements

Looks like your pretty new to mission editing. I have to agree with Beerkan in regards to the mission title, I suggest replacing the word "school" with "challenge" as there is no instruction or in flight feedback existent.

1. Do some research on Overviews and add an image, a brief description and perhaps a version number for the in game scenario menu.
  2. Research briefings and establish some pointers, tips, guidelines, penalties and/or other information to help the player become more familiar with what is expected.
  3. Relocate the 3 helos to helo pads, and task the player with setting it down at the start point; Provide a zone for the player to warm up to the helo on his way to that start point to allow for familiarization with the vehicle controls and reaction, find his comfort zone, blind spots and make adjustments without penalty(but within the warmup zone)
  4. The markers on the map are just simply,"Ugly". No offense of course. I suggest replacing them with a simple dot along the route and with not as much frequency. They are great to familiarize yourself with the route before start but are useless while flying. I suggest using the red circular 3d ring helpers, positioned along the route to guide the player while in flight. It helps the player focus on his height, pitch, bank and speed without having to guess if a curve is approaching, especially if you fly like I do at under 5m above the asphalt. Simply use the setposition command to control the ring and a slow loop script to check the helo distance to the rings current position.
  5. Shorten the course or change up the pace at each ring to move the pilot out of developing a comfortable pattern.. It is too long and becomes monotonous. Take the flight off course to navigate the main street of a town, setup some obstacles of your own, find some tight, natural lanes along the course to break up the expectations.
  6. Keep communication going, feedback, praise, scorn, tips, warnings but do some research and invest some effort to make that communication audible so the player does not have to redirect his focus and break concentration.
  7. If you get to that point of adding sound, add also some immerse audio, tower comms and such.
  8. Then, consider adding a short intro via the Intro tab in the editor to do a fast and simple fly over of the course, ending in a circle of the helo pads.

Anything out of the box is inspiring, keep up the effort and don't compromise the details. You never know, this simple challenge my very well turn into a community favorite.

Good luck pal

EDIT:Just noticed your update was from today and the video looked slightly different from what I just play tested. I downloaded from Armaholic. But my feedback remains relevant.

Edited by savedbygrace

Because the circuit is long, after a while I get bored and start gaining more and more speed to give it more emotion... until it finally bite me in the ass because with the speed I hit something I didn't see nor had time to avoid, and I crash. In a way, I'm my worst enemy in this mission. :P

+1 for the points made by savedbygrace.

And also just to say to clements, keep up the good work! Our thinly veiled (but entirely positive) criticism, is meant to be encouragement for you. We look forward to you developments. You show an encouraging beginning.

@savedbygrace, beerkan - I appreciate your comments in regards to the mission that I am in the process of refining. When making something that you have every intention on releasing for the public, the small things always get you.

I am not really new to mission making, I am new to scripting. I have several mission for my small group of guys that I play with, but I use scripts that have already been created, which makes things so much easier, sad to say in the long run, you don't really learn much from it. Which is why I decided to do this mission public, as the feedback is amazing on all other releases. I figured I might learn some things, and get shown some things along the way.

None the less, your opinions will greatly influence my work from here on out.

Thank you again.

Just a heads up pal. I just found this mission here, which is also a Flight School style. This guy seemed to have the same thoughts as I posted above and would provide a visual example of ways to improve upon your own scenario. His mission is basically a training scenario but there is no reason you couldn't pick it apart and use some of it.

this was a pretty decent mission, of course I have no idea how to fly low in anything besides the littlebird because of its size. The biggest challenge are those darn telephone poles. I might try it again in the ghosthawk, but I think i will have to fly really slow to get through it (im wondering if the ghosthawk will fit under those giant electrical power lines).

I just tested it and I found it not to my liking, possibly because I suck at piloting. I think nobody summed up the points to improve better than savedbygrace. What I would like to add is that some kind of story and simply negative points instead of instant destruction would really help immersion and make this mission more likeable.