Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Importing .3ds models problems

When i import a .3ds model o2 cant seem to find the texture. A "convert texture" window pops up saying "Texture file(RGB map) has not been found" (under notes). I used the search option in the Oxygen forum but didnt find anything that helped.

Does my problem have anything do with the options in "3ds import" (ie prefix, path, target texture name is taken from material name)?

The textures is in gif format... i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I placed a copy of it in 02_viewer/data directory because the options in import point to that folder.

Another non texture related problem..... after i installed o2 and o2 viewer... everytime i use the open,import,browse, etc fuctions in a program all the folders/files are arranged by date not name. cant seem to fix this.... anyone else have this problem?

I have the exact same problem, also I have yet to be able to view a texture in oxygen and I never see anything when I open bulldozer so I have basically given up on o2 for a while.

hmm...so confusing...well, me a newb (5 hours to be exact) too...but you can turn off the textures:

When you import the .3ds file, theres a dialogue poping up with title of "Import 3DS" and at the way bottom theres a button saying "Convert Textures" - click on that once (so it should be unselected). and you can import without textures.

as for applying the textures - I'm stumped...some help...experts???

If you want imoirt 3ds with textures, textures must be in the same folder as is model! Only than you can import model with textures. And another problem is, if you're using 3dsMAx, you must name material where is the texture to the same name. SO if texture is named "my_texture.gif" ,than materiel must be named "my_texture". Than everything works great. Or maybe uncheking "arget texture name taken from material name" option will help.

What might be the problem if I did all the stuff you said zadwar and the textures dont work in game. They show up in bulldozer and look just right but in game its just a big white untextured blob.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ Sep. 14 2002,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What might be the problem if I did all the stuff you said zadwar and the textures dont work in game. They show up in bulldozer and look just right but in game its just a big white untextured blob.<span id='postcolor'>

because you have path to textures to data.pbo, no to your's pbo. If you wnat test it quick, create in yours ofp root directiory (there are directorys like "addons", "dta", "bin" etc) new directory called "Data" and copy there your's texture. It may work. And if you want change path to texture to yours pbo see this thread and my post there!!!

NEXT TIME USE SEARCH FUCTION ON HIS FORUMS!!!!!!!!