Sign in to follow this  
acoustic

FPS drop when zomming in?

Whenever I use binoculars or an optic that zooms in, my fps takes a BIG hit. Is this normal or is there any reason for this?

In my experience it is due to some combination of MSAA and ATOC being enabled. Try turning that down/off and see if that helps.

I notice this seems to be quite bad in Arma 3. Even when you are High FPS like 45 - 50 and you zoom you get quite bad stutter for a moment some times. Haswell with 16Gbs of ram here.

I notice this seems to be quite bad in Arma 3. Even when you are High FPS like 45 - 50 and you zoom you get quite bad stutter for a moment some times. Haswell with 16Gbs of ram here.

For me I had to reduce my AA-Settings in the game menu as well - they cause this problem on some systems. But I had this problem in Arma 2 as well...

If you're keen you could try to force them via CCC or NVidia-CP.

Oddly enough, for me, I had this issue in ArmA 2 and it forced me to turn MSAA and ATOC completely off. In ArmA 3 I can have both on max settings and not really have the same issue.

Zooming causes lag in all games and it's perfectly normal.

It's quite obvious: you're zooming in on something far away, causing more details to be rendered so your computer has to work harder.

I remember this happening in Crysis 2007, it happens in ARMA3 today and it's always going to happen more or less in games that aren't well optimised.

Oddly enough, for me, I had this issue in ArmA 2 and it forced me to turn MSAA and ATOC completely off. In ArmA 3 I can have both on max settings and not really have the same issue.

Yes, for me it's quite the same. Although: On my current rig I had this problem with Arma 2 and not with Arma 3, on my laptop it's completely the opposite. ;)

Zooming causes lag in all games and it's perfectly normal.

It's quite obvious: you're zooming in on something far away, causing more details to be rendered so your computer has to work harder.

I remember this happening in Crysis 2007, it happens in ARMA3 today and it's always going to happen more or less in games that aren't well optimised.

Actually though, it should almost increase your framerate because you are rendering less overall due to the narrow FOV.

Actually though, it should almost increase your framerate because you are rendering less overall due to the narrow FOV.

Yes, you would think...

I'm no expert on this subject but I would guess maybe zooming draws more new detail on the screen than disappears to the outside of the screen or maybe it has something to do with distance.

Or maybe out-of-screen objects are held in memory so you can zoom out again without pop-ins.

Both Crysis (2007) and Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) have zoom issues so it's something that's been around a while and is here to stay apparently.

It seems that it is a recent issue (when switching to X4 with MRCO for example). Me and my colleagues are experiencing the same issue since the last update.

The micro stutter could be disturbing when we have to switch quickly to x4 in a combat...

It kind of works both ways for me.. sometimes I will zoom in and my fps will drastically increase (I know because I'll be strafing in the AH-9 and my M134 minigun fire rate will crank way the f*** up), and other times I'll have average fps and zooming will destroy it. Occasionally, I get higher fps while in the process of zooming (maybe the FOV has lessened but the detail hasn't rendered yet?).

i remember back some years, with crysis and some other games when i had a low end machine. it happend with crysis 1,BFBC2 and stuff like that.