Sign in to follow this  
marker

Huge Bandwidth Usage With New Patch

Having a huge problem with our two servers since the patch..

The basic premise is, when a player joins for the first time, they obviously download the mission file. Now, when they are playing the mission for the first time, their bandwidth stays at anything between 10000 and 16000, desync after a while is obviously going to shoot up to unplayable levels!

The next time they rejoin the server after a full disconnect, they then run at around 500 - 800 normal bandwidth usage!

A group of us tested by joining other servers and every time we joined a server for the first time and downloaded the mission file, we all had huge bandwidth usage.

Anyone else having this issue at the moment?

Thanks

Simply put, there is a bandwidth issue since the latest update.

Depending on the size of the mission file, depends on the bandwidth allocated to the player on connection. Its directly related to the size of the mission file, tested by putting a large textures folder into a vanilla mission that isn't called at all but beefs out the mission file size.

Test) (Range test with large texture folder)

Take a simple vanilla mission file, such as a shooting range.

Place large texture folder into the mission folder.

Boot the server.

Check your players bandwidth.

Players bandwidth is similar to the size of the mission file and the bandwidth value then takes over 30minutes to reach half of its high value and this is on a server that doesn't have many people on.

This causes HUGE output numbers when servers are full, which also kills the server performance as such:

notnormal.jpg

That is on an Altis Life server with 70 players on and a 17mb file (15mb textures).

Is there a setting that we've missed since the update or is this a known bug?

I did not notice a bandwidth issue on our server yesterday, just a crashing one. With 28 people our server FPS was at 50, our in was around 1.5Mbps, and out was under 1Mbps.

Hey guys, how did you measure the bandwidth? Did you actually see any desyncs in the game as a result?

Hey guys, how did you measure the bandwidth? Did you actually see any desyncs in the game as a result?

Daz

The pic from toejam is from the #monitor. It was also monitored from the in bandwidth tools outside or arma, ie on the pipe!

Caused the server to crash, it was basically like a DDOS attack.. Yes, desyinc was huge, a good few players maxxing out Desync as well..

Also, joining other servers where you have to download the mission file causes it to increase until you dis from server and rejoin then it is normal 400 to 700..

Tried on multiple servers, all same result and noticed players on the other servers with the same bandwidth, well over 10000..

If you need anything to help you track it down, just let me know!

Thanks

Hosted 47 people last night on the server with BECTI Zerty 1.1.9.3. Server FPS was around 25 fps. Data OUT ~ 4.5 mbps, Data IN ~ .8 mbps

Server ran great, thanks BIS for the hotfix!

Spanish

Do me a favour please, download one of the larger missions, say Altis life from BLackwing Gaming, it is around 18meg I think. Then check your bandwidth 1 minute after getting into the mission.

Let me know what you get please. Thanks

If it's a mission specific bug then the fault lies with the mission dev and not the game devs. I haven't heard of other missions having this issue so its safe to assume that the bug lies with the mission. I do not wish to host Altis Life on our server, to do so would soil my SSDs forever! :whistle:

It isn't mission specific mate.

I was just stating that the larger the mission file the higher the bandwidth usage is, it seems it is directly linked to mission size...

Bandwidth should not be linked to mission size. I suppose IF people had to connect to server and download the mission, then that would have an effect. Agree with Spanishsurfer that it comes down to mission author using good coding practice.

Who wants Altis Life anyway ! ;)

Rather than assuming, why don't you try and join a mission with a large mission file, sitting there mugging it off without actually testing doesn't help anything.

I have a very simple basic mission, put in a textures folder that was 17mb and it showed the problems described here.

We're telling you that the size of the mission file is giving people a constantly high bandwidth of roughly the size of the mission file, so if the mission file is 17mb, they have around 14000-17000 bandwidth where a normal bandwidth per player is never over 1000 at the very maximum and usually around 200-400. This has only become an issue recently and only settles down after a LONG time waiting or a relog per player with high bandwidth.