Sign in to follow this  
-ami- mofo

help with this spawn script please

Hi guys,

I have this little .sqf file spawn script which as a newb mission maker is great. It's spawns 4 guys and a HMG Ifrit on a couple of markers activated by blufor detected via a trigger.

Trouble is I'd like the group to spawn and then start doing a random patrol rather than just stand there picking noses.

I'm not a scripter whatsoever so I guess I'm asking if anyone here has got some code that I can just paste into the .sqf file that will also make the group start to walk around an area (given radius of their spawn marker?) after they spawn.

I honestly don't know if I'm asking too much here? I hope not as I don't want to be getting into having to go the way of spawn script packs or anything heavy.

Anyway here is what is in the .sqf...

GroupOne_X = [getMarkerPos "spawn1", EAST, ["O_Soldier_F", "O_Soldier_F", "O_Soldier_AR_F", "O_Soldier_AT_F"]] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup; 
{_x allowFleeing 0} forEach units GroupOne_X; 
mrapSpawn = [getMarkerPos "spawn2", 0, "O_MRAP_02_hmg_F", EAST] call bis_fnc_spawnvehicle; 
MRAP = mrapSpawn select 0; 
MRAPcrew = mrapSpawn select 1; 
MRAPgroup = mrapSpawn select 2; 
{_x allowFleeing 0} forEach units MRAPgroup; 

Thank you. ;)

GroupOne_X = [getMarkerPos "spawn1", EAST, ["O_Soldier_F", "O_Soldier_F", "O_Soldier_AR_F", "O_Soldier_AT_F"]] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup; 
mrapSpawn = [getMarkerPos "spawn2", 0, "O_MRAP_02_hmg_F", EAST] call bis_fnc_spawnvehicle; 

[MRAPgroup, getPos leader MRAPgroup, 1000] call bis_fnc_taskPatrol;
[GroupOne_X, getPos leader MRAPgroup, 1000] call bis_fnc_taskPatrol;

Works a treat. ;)

Hi guys,

I have this little .sqf file spawn script which as a newb mission maker is great. It's spawns 4 guys and a HMG Ifrit on a couple of markers activated by blufor detected via a trigger.

Trouble is I'd like the group to spawn and then start doing a random patrol rather than just stand there picking noses.

I'm not a scripter whatsoever so I guess I'm asking if anyone here has got some code that I can just paste into the .sqf file that will also make the group start to walk around an area (given radius of their spawn marker?) after they spawn.

I honestly don't know if I'm asking too much here? I hope not as I don't want to be getting into having to go the way of spawn script packs or anything heavy.

Anyway here is what is in the .sqf...

Thank you. ;)

I was stuck in a very similar position as yours. I was using the ALiVE system to build a huge battle but it didn't provide the "ambush along the road" scenarios I really wanted. I messed with scripting something myself for days until someone finally pointed me towards BangaBob's Enemy Occupation System. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153100-Enemy-occupation-system-(eos)&highlight=EOS

You can limit or customize the unit pools all you like... basically creating a system that will randomly place any units in any vehicle. Use a marker for your group(s) to spawn in, set the spawn distance a player must be from the marker to cause the spawn and presto! I believe EOS uses UPS or UPSMON to handle AI patrolling so they will do clever things like flanking, using cover, etc. Best part? The patrol(s) *cache* so they are only "in the game" when a player has activated them. Not that big a deal if it's a small mission with one AI patrol... but my mission uses over 40 of these spawning zones with a total of about 1200 AI. ;)

@ Grumpy old man: thanks mate I just didn't know how to incorporate that into the existing script (it's actually more simple than I thought) maybe my fault for over thinking it. But you're right it works fine lol

@ Oktyabar: I'm also going to try what you've suggested as the stock AI patrols seem really basic and stupid, lots of "derrr there's a building what now?" kind of thing with vehicles just useless around towns. Hopefully using EOS the patrol behaviour will be more realistic. Thanks.

@ Grumpy old man: thanks mate I just didn't know how to incorporate that into the existing script (it's actually more simple than I thought) maybe my fault for over thinking it. But you're right it works fine lol

@ Oktyabar: I'm also going to try what you've suggested as the stock AI patrols seem really basic and stupid, lots of "derrr there's a building what now?" kind of thing with vehicles just useless around towns. Hopefully using EOS the patrol behaviour will be more realistic. Thanks.

Overthinking things is a common issue with arma3 editing ;)

As far as I know EOS doesn't use UPSMON but shukos patrol script (might have changed, I'm not up to date)

You can also try UPSMON, it's always fun to set up a huge upsmon controlled fortified base and trying to take it out with a player commanded rifle squad.

It's hilarious how fast you're getting outflanked if you don't constantly move when facing an enemy force that's outnumbering you by far.

I have to try EOS sometime because it looks like a valid alternative to DAC which isn't working for arma3 yet.

Cheers

Overthinking things is a common issue with arma3 editing ;)

As far as I know EOS doesn't use UPSMON but shukos patrol script (might have changed, I'm not up to date)

You can also try UPSMON, it's always fun to set up a huge upsmon controlled fortified base and trying to take it out with a player commanded rifle squad.

It's hilarious how fast you're getting outflanked if you don't constantly move when facing an enemy force that's outnumbering you by far.

I have to try EOS sometime because it looks like a valid alternative to DAC which isn't working for arma3 yet.

Cheers

No, you are right. It does use shk_patrol. I think I got the idea that it used UPS from an RPT that seemed to call it and as I don't run UPS/UPSMON in any of my current missions I guess I assumed it must be EOS. EOS is still a super nice way to generate patrols in a marker that will cache. And I guess I have to offer a tip of the hat to BIS then, for AI reactions, because they've always been quite a handful in my missions! :)