Sign in to follow this  
maltti

Multiplayer mission slowing down when JIP happens a lot..

Hello.

I have this weird performance issue on dedicated server where I run my multiplayer mission. Here we go:

When mission starts it runs nicely around 48fps. When big things happens in a mission, it might go as down as 20fps temporary, which is totally fine. I can play same missions hours after hours and performance is "perfect" all the time (server is powerfull overclocked i7).

BUT!

When time goes by, say day or two (big mission, lots of things to do), and people keeps coming and going on mission, its start to slowing down. If these things keep going few days, it can go as slow as 2-4fps. At that speed mission is not playable any more, so I have to restart it.

So, is there something to do with JIP, or do I need to use some special technics on code? So far mission itself cleans destroyed/empty/unused objects, (sometimes it however fails to do so, which means that dead bodies remain on field, even the "killed" eventhandler is working fine). But thats not a huge problem. Do I need to clean all local variables with a NIL command or something like that, to keep mission more clean, or what?

My best guess has been so far, that there is on issue with Arma2 engine itself, when missions last long and there is lot of JIP progress in that time (like 50-200 all together). That would of course mean that there is nothing what I can do... (maybe this working better in Arma3?)

Thank you all...

Maltti

In my experience any Arma 2 mission, be it normal mission, Insurgency, Domination, Life or Dayz, is getting laggy after more then 24 hours without restart, regardless of how powerfull server is.

Problem is not only FPS drops, but also Scripts stopping to work, trigers that doesnt catch, invincible enemies, randomly teleporting AI vehicles, wierd glitches and more.

I knew it! After optimizing my mission for years I knew that problem had to be somewhere in engine itself. Well... Hope things are/will be better in Arma3 when I´m moving there. Thanks.

Maltti

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

One more thing I´ve sometimes noticed and actually happend today as well.

If the mission has been idling for long time (10-20hours) and then you go and kill just a few enemies which have been created 10-20 hours go, fps could suddenly raise from 4fps to 30fps. So, maybe it has something to do with killed eventhandler? Meaning when eventhandler stops it´s work, it frees a lot of server time what is has "stolen" when idling a lot? I have in killed script "removeMPeventhandlers" when unit is dead.

To make it short, is it possible that killed eventhandlers reservers Servertime when running long periods?

Maltti

Update to this:

I can now confirm that units alive more than 24h is causing this serious Server lag on FPS. Not quite sure, is it a unit itself or killed evenhandler in unit. Anyhow I made a solution that when user is joining on server (when server has been idling) it "refresh" all enemy units (basically, deletes unit and its eventhandler and then recreates same unit again). I´ve been testing this now several days and hoorayh! We are the masters of FPS again! It only took couple of years to realize this :)

Maltti