Sign in to follow this  
Dreadp1r4te

Fix the Slammer!

So my friends and I play a ton of Warfare CTI, and we've all noticed some glaring flaws with the Slammer "MBT." I put MBT in quotes because for all intents and purposes, the Slammer is not an MBT; it actually performs more like an APC, perhaps a light tank. Compared to the T-100 Varsuk or the MBT-52 Kuma, the Slammer seems to have inferior armor (especially on the front, with its forward engine design) and while it can take a hit or two on the side reactive armor, a single 120mm APFSDS-T round to the front is usually enough to blow the tank up. In addition to its poor armor coverage, the tank is significantly slower than both the Kuma and Varsuk, having an average top speed around ~60 kph, and abysmal acceleration and torque (I can WALK up hills faster than this thing can climb them; although that goes for most tanks in Arma 3, it's especially apparent with the Slammer.) Last but certainly not least, the Slammer's lack of Commander RCWS turret may seem trivial, but it significantly increases the tank's vulnerability to AT infantry, as they can get in a few missiles while the main gunner is focusing on armor assets. Compared to its real life counterpart, the Israeli Merkava IV, the only thing accurate and realistic about it is its speed capability. The T-100 and Kuma seem much faster than their real life counterparts, and this flaw definitely shows itself in large scale battle as the Varsuk and Kuma can easily outflank Merkavas with their speed. The Merkava also has a Commander weapon station in every image I've seen, so why it doesn't have one in Arma 3 is baffling me, and considering the Merkava's real life emphasis on protection (including advanced technologies like active protection, a system that shoots down incoming missiles before they hit the tank, as well as using the mammoth V12 engine as protection) the Slammer's apparent squishiness is equally baffling.

I just saw a Sitrep indicating you're releasing a new version of the Slammer with more armor, a smaller main gun, and a commander turret. Why? Why not skip the smaller gun, and make the primary Slammer actually accurate to its counterpart? This just seems kind of like an unneeded nerf. Both the Kuma and Varsuk have 120mm cannons, commander RCWS, more armor, and more speed, but to get some of those things for the Slammer, Blufor gets a nerf to its gun caliber? If a dev could chime in with why that is, I'd love to know.

Second, why can't my tank traverse offroad? All three of these tanks in real life have a step up capabilty of at least 1 meter, so why do these damned half meter tall concrete stone walls high-center my tank every time I try to go over them? Why can't tanks climb hills faster than 2 km/h? I bet you can't find a video of a tank having to slow down that much to climb an incline in real life, because they don't.

And finally, if I order my AI driver to back up, I expect him to back up. Why does he instead spin around wildly, or randomly rotate the left and right tread backwards in a non-sense pattern that nets a whopping total of .5 km/h in reverse, IF that?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. :P

Why can't tanks climb hills faster than 2 km/h? I bet you can't find a video of a tank having to slow down that much to climb an incline in real life, because they don't.

1. Wrong

2. They do

see:

here

here

here

and here

To "Fix the Slammer" you need a vehicle recovery point or a support vehicle such as the bobcat

What the vehicle needs isn't more armor. From the frontal arc I've survived three to four ATGM hits, and similar amounts of APFSDS strikes. It needs a mortar, and ATGMs, and maybe HE-F-T ammunition. Or Canister.

What the game in total needs is better handling of vehicle crew. Ie, don't abandon a vehicle that can still fight just because the engine is dead or the tracks are down. Unless it is about to explode, don't leave. And more control for vehicle crews: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12806

Edited by InstaGoat

...From the frontal arc I've survived three to four ATGM hits, and similar amounts of APFSDS strikes.....

Pics or it didn't happen bro. Every time I encounter a T-100 in Warfare, it kills me in one hit, regardless of facing location. Every time an ATGM hits me, I blow up in one hit. You might be referring to DAGRs, which are NOT ATGMS (and actually do much more damage than they should to armor) but Skalpels and APFSDS-T rounds wreck the Slammer every single time. Needs active defense system, too.

The turret on both the kuma and the slammer seems to be painted sponge as any hit to it will cause the tank to blow up.

The Merkava in real life is way too op to be in game with the set up they gave the other tanks... But having it just carry troops to the battlefield with protection from small arms is not what I'd expect a tank to do. And don't get me started on the A4 variant...

These tanks do need to be tweaked especially if they are actually planning to add that railgun t-100 god help us slammer users if that happens

Pics or it didn't happen bro. Every time I encounter a T-100 in Warfare, it kills me in one hit, regardless of facing location. Every time an ATGM hits me, I blow up in one hit. You might be referring to DAGRs, which are NOT ATGMS (and actually do much more damage than they should to armor) but Skalpels and APFSDS-T rounds wreck the Slammer every single time. Needs active defense system, too.

You can one-hit kill every tank with the slammers 120mm when you hit it on the gap between hull and turret. What I'd be interested in is screenshots of the actual armor layout of these vehicles ingame.

Would BI be able to supply those, also to give people an Idea where their vehicles are most heavily protected?

How about also adding an additional coax MG, being as the mount is already modeled in for it.

How about also adding an additional coax MG, being as the mount is already modeled in for it.

Yep, that would be great. It would be a nice position for a .50 gun. In Arma 2 there were also tanks with two different types of MG's for the gunner.

It should not be that hard to implement.