sudden

East vs West (OFP inspired mod)

armor: Hi i found a serios bug. AI gunner of t72 or m1a1 wont change to ammor-piercing ammo while firing on tanks , so tanks simply cant destroy each other! And i think that armor values of tanks are not real . Just fire 4 nlaw at t-72 and nothing!

Edited by Osama

@Sudden, I love your work man. I was playing for 40+ hours in the editor with EVW. One minor thing, is that the US Camo on the US Infantry has a slightly different shade of Green on the Helmet, than on their Camo Fatigues.

It's not major, it just looks like one set of faituges is old, and the helmet cover is new? (Open Editor > place US Team Leader as Player > PREVIEW > Goto 3rd person look at Helmet Green Colours next to Fatigue colours, you should see what I mean.

Thank you all for the feedback and bug report.

First of all about the tank's armour. I'm still working on it. The idea is to go away from the whole healthbar thing and create some weak points where you can damage the tank badly with one hit, but other parts will hold the rounds without taking any harm (or much less). So if you just fire at the tank with an RPG or NLAW or another tank you will not succeed. The penetration thing in Arma3 is tricky and I'm still not very sure in how it works. So give me time.

M1A1 speed, yes, that's not right. Maybe I forgot to change the parameters back after testing.

There'are also several bugs that I can't find a solution yet. F.i. if you start a mission as a vehicle`s gunner, get out and then get in back, you can command the vehicle. There is no such behaviour with BIS tanks. Have no idea. Also I can't still understand the bug when AI gunner doesn't chage rounds to AP when firing on tanks.

About LAW and RPG-18... that's what the idea of the mod had started with (not RPG and Gustaf), but... in real life these launchers can't be reloaded, you shoot and then throw away the tube. This can be made by the script, but what if you want to carry several tubes (which is possible in real life)? Also in Arma3 AI always carries the launcher in loaded state, which is not realistic for the tubes as they can't be carried in that way. I'm thinking about treating the disposable launchers as grenades, not missiles (which is much more close to real life), but this approach has some restrictions and I still don't know how to break them.

Edited by sudden

@sudden - as for RPG18 - instead of using modelSpecial (like in a2), use animations on models and remove modelSpecial from magazine config. there is isSelected source for that. As for script, you can replace one launcher after one shot and then get new launcher from backpack

all vehicles seems to have quite strange speed behaviour (perhaps damper & moi issue) as they are getting in "jumps" (ie you ride 40km/h and after half a second you jump to 50km/h). Take a look there for some quick physx tunning with diagnostic exe http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180124-Arma3-Diag_Branch

@sudden - as for RPG18 - instead of using modelSpecial (like in a2), use animations on models and remove modelSpecial from magazine config. there is isSelected source for that. As for script, you can replace one launcher after one shot and then get new launcher from backpack

all vehicles seems to have quite strange speed behaviour (perhaps damper & moi issue) as they are getting in "jumps" (ie you ride 40km/h and after half a second you jump to 50km/h). Take a look there for some quick physx tunning with diagnostic exe http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180124-Arma3-Diag_Branch

Man! This is just great! :-))) Didn't know about the isSelected source!

Thanks a lot!

Awesome stuff, sudden! An interesting choice for the Optics key to be for manual lasing, but if you could explain that I'd probably be happy.

Awesome stuff, sudden! An interesting choice for the Optics key to be for manual lasing, but if you could explain that I'd probably be happy.

Sure. The reason is this key is not used in vehicles.

Also I thought it would be nice to have a combination that contains a mouse button so you don't need to put your right hand away from the mouse.

New update v0.8 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

Thanks, mate! :-)

To all

Also I have played the mod with my friends a bit and considered that armoured vehicles are way too armoured. So I think I'll go back to a less complicated hit handling.

Edited by sudden

Wow, Sudden you must working your ass off to get all this done. Brilliant work, I think this deserves a "Make ArmA not War" award because you've taken ARMA back to it's roots!

I re-downloaded the update and I'm still getting script errors when using the tanks. Is anybody else getting them?

I re-downloaded the update and I'm still getting script errors when using the tanks. Is anybody else getting them?

Are you on development branch? Do you have any other mods active? The _zoom variable just gets data from BIS CA_zoom GUI element to detect current zoom of the gunner's scope. If there's a problem with it, somethiing's wrong with your GUI.

Any word on if and when ALIVE compatibility will be added?

Hey sudden can you tell me the classname for the RPG pack please mate? Cheers.

"SUD_RPG_Pack"

You can find classnames in the ingame config viewer. Backpacks are under CfgVehicles. Or while playing you can hit Escape and type hint str backpack player into the debug console and click 'Local Exec'.

Thanks Ranger, been a head stomper trying to find it.

Also I've got the script error undefined variable _zoom with the tanks as well, only running the East vs West mod.

After the upgrade v0.8 stopped working mines and explosives. they are not set. Ate removed from the update files - sud_gw_wpn.pbo. Error disappears.

Hey sudden can you tell me the classname for the RPG pack please mate? Cheers.

Sud_cg_pack,

Sud_rpg_pack

Also I'm investigating on the _zoom variable error.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

After the upgrade v0.8 stopped working mines and explosives. they are not set. Ate removed from the update files - sud_gw_wpn.pbo. Error disappears.

Yes there's a bug in the binarized version.

I have checked it in the unbinarized version it's working.

Searching for a solution.

Edited by sudden

I am also using the East Static Weapons pack, I guess that might have some conflicts with optics etc, I haven't tried without it yet.

I am also using the East Static Weapons pack, I guess that might have some conflicts with optics etc, I haven't tried without it yet.

I have found the reason of this error. Just removed the variable using it's value.

Will be fixed in the next update. :-)

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi!

I really do love what you are doing with this mod, I especially love hearing that you are putting effort into shying away from the pure hitpoint damage system. I would seriously recommend getting in touch with Olds who created the real armor mod. I would also recommend using a resource such as SBWiki for the game Steel Beasts. SBWiki contains armor thicknesses for the M1A1 (HA) and T-72B (which I believe would be accurate for the time period) as well as many APC's and other vehicles. Hope this helps.

Good luck, I hope to see this mod continue to grow.

-M0R

Edit: Just as FYI, if you do choose to use armor info from any source, make sure you use RHAe for KE as your thicknesses. Made the same mistake myself.

Edited by Man0fRen0vati0n

Hi!

I really do love what you are doing with this mod, I especially love hearing that you are putting effort into shying away from the pure hitpoint damage system. I would seriously recommend getting in touch with Olds who created the real armor mod. I would also recommend using a resource such as SBWiki for the game Steel Beasts. SBWiki contains armor thicknesses for the M1A1 (HA) and T-72B (which I believe would be accurate for the time period) as well as many APC's and other vehicles. Hope this helps.

Good luck, I hope to see this mod continue to grow.

-M0R

Edit: Just as FYI, if you do choose to use armor info from any source, make sure you use RHAe for KE as your thicknesses. Made the same mistake myself.

Thank you very much! I'm looking at this Steel Beasts game for a long time, but I'm not satisfied with the quantity of Russian vehicles, so that stops me from buying the game. Does it worth it, gameplay wise?

BTW, T72b they have on site doesn't have Kontakt ERA installed, so I think they model only tanks that come to export from Russia.

Thank you very much! I'm looking at this Steel Beasts game for a long time, but I'm not satisfied with the quantity of Russian vehicles, so that stops me from buying the game. Does it worth it, gameplay wise?

BTW, T72b they have on site doesn't have Kontakt ERA installed, so I think they model only tanks that come to export from Russia.

I do not own the game myself, but a friend of mine was a loader on an M1A1 and he bought the game, he told me it was probably the closest to reality outside of military only simulations that he knew of. It definitely is a hardcore game compared to A3.

As far as the T-72B goes, from what little info I have I would guess that on a well sloped surface (i.e. front hull on T-72B) Kontakt-5 probably will increase the armor thickness vs. KE by roughly 50%. Armor vs. HEAT thickness will likely double. This is a very very rough estimate though.

There's a license option so consider it a paid demo. $10 for a month is the cheapest option. Since it's not intended primarily for gamers they won't be doing more recent Russian hardware it seems, since they aim for authenticity.