Sign in to follow this  
JohnKalo

Convoys Extreme Frustration

My mission includes a convoy ambush. My problem is that I can't make the convoy work?!?!?!?

It is really frustrating seeing the vehicles act like crazy.

If you place move waypoints in cities or villages, the vehicles don't move or start accelerating rapidly towards the opposite direction like a nuclear holocaust is approaching!?!?!?

If you place move waypoints in roads, then it is like all the drivers are drunk. I mean they start hitting each other or just move in a constant circle. However there was one smart driver who kept banging his vehicle on a tree....

If you place move waypoints in the dessert then yeah there is a chance that the convoy moves altogether. But then again not in a line every time.

Naturally I have used scripts but nothing seems to work. In the best occasion they just move for a short while, not in a line but towards the same direction, and then they stop. Just like that.

And not to forget. Without a script [AI Convoy Script by norrin]if you shoot the convoy then I can't really describe the chaos that takes place.

Others are driving away, others just don't move, others crash into one another and the best situation are the drivers who disembark and start running away from their vehicles without even aiming at the opposition force!?!?!?

I have searched the forums but nothing helped.

At first I wanted the convoy to pass through a city but since that couldn't happen I built a small city via triggers and building positioning, so placing the city in the desert helped the convoy drive through it, if it started at the first place...

So is there something that I am missing?

ArmA AI have always been completly ****** up and will probably be so forever in some way. However Im pretty sure there are a couple of mods fixing this issue, search for an AI mod and you should find something. You can maybe use UPS (Urban Patrol Script) it usually helps quite alot with theese problems!

Trying to make the AI convoy not spawn close to the town but further away and letting them start driving and do their stupid sh*t and then after around 300-400 meters they should be a bit better at driving then at the very start.

Good luck with your mission!

Green|

The AI will detect roads, there is no need to "Draw" a path with waypoints. Simply place a waypoint from A to B and the group leader will decide which way to follow, if mode is set to "Careless" or "Safe" then he will take the most direct route that follows the roads. Hope this helps, but AI have always been a massive pain in the ass.

Thanks for the tips.

You can maybe use UPS (Urban Patrol Script) it usually helps quite alot with theese problems!
Trying to make the AI convoy not spawn close to the town but further away and letting them start driving and do their stupid sh*t and then after around 300-400 meters they should be a bit better at driving then at the very start.

I'll check it out as soon as I can.

The AI will detect roads, there is no need to "Draw" a path with waypoints. Simply place a waypoint from A to B and the group leader will decide which way to follow, if mode is set to "Careless" or "Safe" then he will take the most direct route that follows the roads. Hope this helps, but AI have always been a massive pain in the ass.

Although I can't trust the AI leader after what I have witnessed I will try it.

I will be back with feedback...

Can you post your mission?

If it doesn't have a ton of addons we might be able to see what you are doing more specifically.

Can you post your mission?

If it doesn't have a ton of addons we might be able to see what you are doing more specifically.

I could but there would be a problem. You see although that I use arma 2 and arma 2 operation arrowhead for my mission editing, I make my missions compatible with Take on Helicopters via the Rearmed patch. You see there aren't enough missions for the particular game. This way the realistic helicopter flight models are included in the missions.

Try norrin's convoy script

I did but it didn't work. The AI disembarked when a vehicle from the convoy was completely destroyed but the convoy didn't move correctly. They wouldn't stay in any kind of formation and some vehicles would just run away from the convoy.

When iam making AI Convoys, i allways do these things:

1. Place the vehicles with lot of space betveen each other in the editor, and change the "in formation" thing to "non".

2. place them facing propper direction to prevent them from too much maneuvring.

3. never use more than 5or6 vehicles in a convoy. (this is has no other reason than experience with morethanfive vehicle columns often dont work good)

4. Choose as simple road as possyble, more turns, more problems.

5. Never put too much waypoints. 2-3 are A OK. and allways make sure you have the waypoint directly on the road.

6. Avoid bridges. For example the bridge near "Factory" on the road from "Berezino" to "Elektrozavodsk". AI drivers will get confused and start panicking near bridges. Also make sure there are no other objects on the road (cars, obstacles, animals, people.) or the Ai driver will start panicking.

When iam making AI Convoys, i allways do these things:

1. Place the vehicles with lot of space betveen each other in the editor, and change the "in formation" thing to "non".

2. place them facing propper direction to prevent them from too much maneuvring.

3. never use more than 5or6 vehicles in a convoy. (this is has no other reason than experience with morethanfive vehicle columns often dont work good)

4. Choose as simple road as possyble, more turns, more problems.

5. Never put too much waypoints. 2-3 are A OK. and allways make sure you have the waypoint directly on the road.

6. Avoid bridges. For example the bridge near "Factory" on the road from "Berezino" to "Elektrozavodsk". AI drivers will get confused and start panicking near bridges. Also make sure there are no other objects on the road (cars, obstacles, animals, people.) or the Ai driver will start panicking.

Ok. Thanks for the tips.

Is there a specific distance you need the convoy to be apart from one another? Also can they all be the same vehicle type? (Urals etc.)

If you use vehicles of different speed types (UAZ and Urals together) they will definitely spread out.

What are they ambushed by, and how are they supposed to react? Do they need a few combat ready units to jump out and fire back, or do want them to just keep driving?

They will not spread out. Last convoy i made was BTR70 -URAL-URAL-URAL-UAZdshkm And they kept speed and spacing just fine. When one of the trucks got stuck, others waited for him.

BTR 70 and UAZ dshkm was actively defending the convoy, but i allso added few troopers to the trucks, so if i shot the driver or a wheel of the truck they disembarked and returned fire.

What are they ambushed by

They will be ambushed by a group of up to five BLUEFOR units. As for their equipment it is just up to the player.

and how are they supposed to react

They should disembark and return fire. Something which I am trying to achieve via a script.

If you use vehicles of different speed types (UAZ and Urals together) they will definitely spread out.

Well I am trying to make all vehicles drive with a specific speed via a trigger.

Is there a specific distance you need the convoy to be apart from one another?

Just to keep together in a straight line.

Also can they all be the same vehicle type?

Included are a scud, two transport vehicles and two "jeeps" with machine guns.