Sign in to follow this  
tvamvarg

Turn compass while in map mode

I feel like a complete noob, but I can't seem to find a way to turn the compass (and presumably, my avatar) while in map mode...

I see it happen all the time in ShackTac videos and it sure would be a convenient way to get compass directions from the map.

The compass azimuth follows the direction you are looking (freelook and TrackIR included) when you open the map. You can't change it while the map is open, which sort of defeats the purpose.

As for ST's Arma 2 videos, they are using ACE, which adds a versatile compass/map system.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing! I saw in one of the vids they could draw a course line for distance and direction. That would be nice to have.

As for ST's Arma 2 videos, they are using ACE, which adds a versatile compass/map system.

OK so with ACE for Arma 2 I'd be able to do the same thing. I'll try that. Thanks!

ACE changes Arma 2 significantly, so if you don't want to make that big of a move try @mapplus instead - it is essentially the ACE map tools in a standalone mod.

You could bind turn left/right somewhere in your keyboard and turn yourself that way. I'm not 100% sure is it possible but I believe you can do that.

You could bind turn left/right somewhere in your keyboard and turn yourself that way. I'm not 100% sure is it possible but I believe you can do that.

It doesn't work - the compass is locked to the direction you are looking when you open the map.

I guess it would be somewhat easy to fix that compass turned with you in the map view. Rotating it manually on the map sounds more complex though.

But isn't the compass a little too small? I can't even make out the readings.

I guess it would be somewhat easy to fix that compass turned with you in the map view. Rotating it manually on the map sounds more complex though.

But isn't the compass a little too small? I can't even make out the readings.

It would be ideal to be able to manipulate the compass manually.

Double click on the compass (or any other object in the map screen) and they will pop out. There are also a couple of "better compass/compass fix" add-ons out there that increase the size of the compass overall.

It would be ideal to be able to manipulate the compass manually.

Double click on the compass (or any other object in the map screen) and they will pop out. There are also a couple of "better compass/compass fix" add-ons out there that increase the size of the compass overall.

Even the popped out compass is almost unreadable to me. That why they made those addons though.