Sign in to follow this  
-ami- mofo

5.1 sound question re new headset

Hi all I was about to buy a new 5.1 headset as the cheap one I have now is only stereo and I'd like to experience better sound direction in Arma 3.

But from some of the older things I've read it seems like Arma 3 (did not) or does not support 5.1? Stereo sound (was) or is the only option.

Can anyone please confirm whether or not the game now supports 5.1 before I go and possibly waste my money.

Thanks.

I thought this would be a question that most could answer as most would probably have 5.1 headphones these days?

Anyone who's using their 5.1 headphones does the directional sound work properly? Ppl have reported that using 5.1 they can hardly hear the front or rear, just either side.

they can hardly hear the front or rear, just either side.

Exactly. 5.1 kinda works, but the way it works makes you wish for something much better. The main problem is that if sound is coming from something in front of you, it comes from frontal speakers, but if it comes from behind, than you can hear it in rear and front speakers simultaneously. Also, what is more confusing, that it does not concern all the sounds - there are ones that sound perfectly, initial "phshshst" which is prodused by a smoke grenade - you can determine direction of its origin pretty well using only your hearing. Or VoIP messages - they sound pretty damn good in 3D environment. But explosions, engine sounds, footsteps and even shooting - you can of course differ right and left pretty easy, but front and rear - not so. And what is even more confusing that ArmA 2 sounds perfecly in that regards. And what is adding some more to confusion is the fact that it did work fine during early alpha stage of ArmA 3. Hope it aswers your question.

Note that there are 2 types of 5.1 headphones: USB and multi-jack input (Using 4 separate 2.5mm jacks)

I use the multi-jack type so don't know about the USB ones.

Surround works well when the source is more than 50m away but for me there is a problem as the source gets closer to your character it becomes completely equal all around so its impossible to tell the direction.

Is that just me?

Thanks guys. Sounds like at least for now I'll save my money.

Arma 3 is the most awesome yet most face palm game I've ever played. I don't know how BIS manage it.

Please also consider normal stereo headphones. A good pair of stereo headphones used with a good soundcard and Dolby Headphone wrapper will give a damn good surround feeling, while being really good at music listening and anything else you might want to do. So called 5.1 headphones is a stupid gimmick in my opinion.

I use Sennheiser HD650 and Xonar Essence STX. Most people consider that a dedicated music setup, but in my opinion it's good for everything. I have a nice 5.1 speaker setup too but I stopped using it since the Dolby Headphone surround simulation works so damn well.

I use Logitech G35 7.1-surround-headphones. Directional hearing in Arma 3 is great with them. Granted, loud noises in close (I'd rather say something between 0 and 15 meters) ranges seem to be all around you, but that applies to explosions mostly. Shots, footsteps and voices are to be located quite easily even within this range. And let's be honest: If something explodes in 10 meters distance, you'd certainly have a problem of locating the sound source anyways...

Additionally I have a surround setup with my speakers in a 4.1-setup. With this setup I can locate sound sources quite fine, even in close proximity and even with explosions. So I guess it's not a problem of Arma 3 but of the headphones in use. (Rear speakers for surround headphones are always a bit ditsy, even with the G35. The psychoacoustics of surround sound can only really flower out if you get accustomed to the specific differences in between the side and surround speakers of your headphones).

Edited by Pergor