Sign in to follow this  
soldia

The Phone

Hi,

I want to present an idea (and obviously its realisation) which came across my mind a while ago. It was born out of the strict rule we got in our community not to use the chat.

But somehow a text written message may contain more information than a radio call via ACRE or TFAR. So I sat down and started to build my first addon (quite a noob to scripting):

The Phone

SPSGUjY.jpg

So what is this?

Basically it is a texting tool for player to player communication. You can send messages to multiple contacts, share contacts, review received messages...

Detailed information is in the manual, which comes with the addon as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xejh2c4114t7wz/Manual.pdf

What can't you do with The Phone?

In a nutshell: No calls, no pictures, no internet.

This won't compete with ACRE/TFAR, but it will somehow expand the possibilities you got in terms of immersion and mission design. E.g. not every guerilla group got state-of-the-art radios in their pocket and now they can communicate via the phone.

Credits:

Would like to thank my fellow [W]Leon for supporting ideas, testing and motivating words :)

And of course my community GruppeW for the inspiring environment.

Download:

v1.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh4ki91en2fiujj/%40SOL_Mobile.7z

Changelog:

v1.0:

• Initial Release

Known Bugs:

v1.0:

• Some rpt-entries during initializing. But mostly internal BIS_fnc errors.

Feedback appreciated

-----------------------------------

Requires: CBA_A3

Edited by Soldia

I love the idea, especially for use by insurgents in game modes where they have to communicate but its unrealistic to carry military radios.

It would be awesome, if this Phone would get some sort of additional TS- or VON-Implementation: Usually you can do more with a phone than just texting. You could call your contacts and have voice communication with them. But of course you can't use your weapon while on the phone. You have to answer the call first, you have to wait for the callee to pick up his phone and so on.

That way it would have all the functions a regular cell phone has and allow multiple ways of communication without breaking immersion. Additionally the limitations would make gameplay with "The Phone" much more interesting.

Your hiding behind a wall, bullets whiz around your head and suddenly your cellphone is ringing: "Hey, Cousin! Let's go bowling!" :D

What can't you do with The Phone?

In a nutshell: No calls, no pictures, no internet.

Really?!? Perhaps maybe it is possible but make the phone all clickable? :rolleyes:

'Been a pleasure, my friend, looking forward to what happens next to your baby after my final exams and how I can help taking further care of it :)

Maybe it's an iPod Touch. Although, I'm still disappointed you can't text ingame images to your comrades using the phone, that would be great for scouts. Also kinda sad you can't call with it. Good job, all the same!

It would be cool if the Text messages could be viewed by someone who picks up the phone from a dead body or so...also the ability to send pictures would be cool

I'd love to see a Nokia version of this!

Better Off With Map And Nokia ;)

If the insurgents run out of bullets, They could use the nokia as a weapon of mass destruction, but I believe the mod maker will have to create some sort of 'earthquake' mod to go with it.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks, checking out !!

@All: Thanks for feedback.

@Foxhound: Special thanks for posting it on Armaholic!

Regarding the calls: Maybe in the future. But I don't have any experience with TS-Plugins.

There are some further ideas on my side as well. For example images and GPS coordinates are the most likely features to be implemented in the future.

Stay tuned and please test it in your community.

For better understanding, a short video tutorial will be uploaded soon.

Regarding the calls: Maybe in the future. But I don't have any experience with TS-Plugins.

There are some further ideas on my side as well. For example images and GPS coordinates are the most likely features to be implemented in the future.

I suppose even a VON implementation should be possible. Adding something like this maybe: Sub_Radio - A lightweight and simple Radioscript.

Apart from that possibility you could maybe get a hold of one of the ACRE or TFR guys and talk with them about the possibilities and necessary steps to create something like a little-The Phone-ACRE. ;)

But don't feel pushed, it's your mod and I like it anyways! :)

I love the idea, especially for use by insurgents in game modes where they have to communicate but its unrealistic to carry military radios.

Insurgents carry and use military radios all the time in Afghanistan.

If the insurgents run out of bullets, They could use the nokia as a weapon of mass destruction, but I believe the mod maker will have to create some sort of 'earthquake' mod to go with it.

It's cheaper to use Nokias as bomb triggers because they can reuse them after the explosion.

Awesome idea, would be interesting as an actual (webpage-)app for phones as well, with addition to use it as bomb trigger and such as suggested above.

Like the simplicity of the concept and how it can change ingame chat drastically!

EDIT: Whoops, only just noticed this being fairly old tread, sorry for the bump :o - it only just appeared on PwS: http://play.withsix.com/Arma-3/mods/EO_s7iEo6kOvlNawttiZdA/The-Phone

Edited by ParaGraphic L

New mod 1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Soldia;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and soon also publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.