Sign in to follow this  
oo para oo

Blastcore Vs Vanilla FX Video Comparison. You Decide!

During the test I did not notice much fps drop in fact it was around 3-4 fps which is nothing, most settings on very high, I do like the lighting on the launchers via the Vanilla.

:butbut:

Blastcore A3 feels rushed out. Also the mod is pretty much confirmed dead so don't expect any updates.

I will stick to vanilla for now, maybe someone will edit blastcore files and make something more polished out of it.

Edited by Drakenof

I can´t help myself but thinmthat these videos should go into the dedicated video thread....

Really you prefer vanilla? the smoke grenade shows the weakness of vanilla, it makes smoke pointless. And the smaller bits that blow up after explosions look very cool.

Blastcore A3 feels rushed out...

Wouldn't put it like that, i believe OS said something about it beeing to time consuming creating an effect then booting up the game to check the result, then doing this again and again everytime a change was made.

I really like the smoke effects of blastcore. Plus I think blastcore exerts the awesome lighting of A3 more than ever. What I don't like about blastcore (and didn't like in the A2 version already) are these white and yellow sparks surrounding explosions: Everything looks like HD and all sharp and smooth and then these white and yellow 8bitty circles pop up... It looks like a port from Proteus. That's the only thing bumming me out with blastcore. Other than that, I prefer it over vanilla.

I think Blastcore is better than vanilla effects, although I feel that it's too yellow, it needs more shades of orange and red, and explosions in blastcore still have the vanilla ArmA 3 explosion pop for 1/4 a sec which is ugly.

I think Blastcore is better.

Have you even tried it?

Edited by Chops

Have you even tried it?

Probably not! :rolleyes:

Have you even tried it?

Your serious right?

Opticalsnare is the Author of blastcore!

Vanilla effects, especially bullet & projectile impacts and explosions leave a lot to be desired. I've always admired ACE and how much more immersive it is. BlastC may not be spot on but better than the d*mn vanilla effects sigh

Currently I'm using vanilla. Mostly because of too much Green/too low Red in the Blastcore explosions, what makes colours too "artificial yellowish". Vanilla colors look more natural to me. Probably there also was something in the shape/behavior of black smoke. Fireplace fire is ugly in Blastcore (fireplace smoke is nice from the other hand). Still, I'm planning to test latest Blastcore version.

Edited by Rydygier

Blastcore, while not like 200% better, is clearly better by a good bit. Whatever the case, vanilla's FX really need an improvement.

Your serious right?

Opticalsnare is the Author of blastcore!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1241&d=1302417948

Aside from that i think it's still too yellow, i like BC a lot more than vanilla.

I think Blastcore is better.

I agree. :)

In the video there was a little mention of an FPS hit haven't noticed an FPS hit while using Blastcore at all, in fact I've noticed an FPS BOOST since vanilla smoke (from vehicle explosions) are very laggy in comparison to Blastcore.

At first, I would have answered "blastcore" in an instant, but after seeing this video and playing without it for a while, it's become a much harder decision. While I agree- it adds a much needed boost to the size and apparent power of explosions, the overload of yellow in addition to those "8-bit sparks" (as someone called them earlier) make it a much harder decision. I wish BI would just spend more time with explosions, and then we wouldn't need to have mods for something like this.

I think something that (I suppose, but I may be wrong) would be relatively simple to fix, is the flashes from the explosions. They kind of turn on, and then turn off a second later (Check out 2:20 in the video). It makes the explosions look weak. There should be a much brighter initial flash, which very quickly fades out to nothing. This instant flash and fade looks much more concussive and powerful than a dim glow appearing and then disappearing a little later. If a fire starts, there would be light from that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZk3ynPFlY

If you look at these videos, you will see the initial bright flash from the explosion as well as the violent discharge of smoke (in game, the smoke moves very slowly, which causes the explosion to seem as if it lacks high pressure). After the bright flash has dissipated, the smoke from the explosion rises upwards. Flaming gases left over from the explosion are carried up with the smoke, they do not stay at the initial blast spot. Fire simultaneously engulfs the destroyed vehicle. In the last video, there is no explosion from the target. The flash lasts for only about a frame or two, then instantly disappears.

~the_Demongod

Edited by the_Demongod