Sign in to follow this  
Αplion

ArmA 2 US Helicopters Import to A3

ok, you're right, I had not tested with that aspects in mind, but there is certainly a difference. Much easier to pull up the MH-60 than the AH-1Z (and it should be the other way round I guess), it's really so slowly responding that it can pan out rather unhealthy after a FFAR strafing run... And I've just checked back in Arma2, but there the pitch is responding better. So either some values were changed during the A2->A3-Port, or the engine interpretes them differently.

btw, Handicap, since you seem to have experience: Is it really realistic that a chopper will climb up so enormously when you try to slow down quickly by pulling the cyclic back, despite putting the collective down completely? I mean, you could possibly even get into a vortex ring state and fall like a brick, but in game when trying to land with a shallow vector (without circling before) when coming from high speed (like a bird that lands on his nest), you will always climb ridiculously high, making any quick but also stealthy approach impossible. I could never understand why you couldn't have a faster sink rate.

I rode in the Huey a lot but I was not a pilot nor crew by any means so I couldn't honestly answer your question. My only experience actually piloting these things comes from MS Flight Sim and the ARMA series of games. In-game I never yank on the stick unless missiles are incoming and I've got my ingress/egress routes thought out well in advance and plotted on my map before I even leave the groud so I don't have that problem very often.

I've been digging through the Unbinarized files Aplion left us and I believe I've found where the issue lies. Working on smoothing out their pitch/roll now to something more maneuverable than what we're currently offered.

Firstly, fantastic mod!

Really enjoy bombing around in these aircraft!

However I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the aircraft 'sliding' while on the ground in any of the Arma 3 map pack islands?

I'm using version 3.0 and whenever i land on, even with zero ground speed, the aircraft will slide down the shallowest of gradients occasionally rolling to the right.

Hi i confirm that. Problems with helicopter sliding since last arma 3 update.

Thanks for this mod, waiting for correction!!!

Yeah, but he also said that anyone who is willing to take his work to improve/correct/enhance it can do it.

Hi, is there currently a way to fold the viper and the venom? I am using the placeable version of the LHD from arma 2 (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5858 which works perfectly in arma 3 by the way) and I would like to fold the rotors of the helos. I tried the A2 folding scripts but they won't work.

Arm yourself with patience. The mod creator decided to took a long break ( vamos, que esperes sentado ).

He said it just a couple posts before yours.

Oops!!! We must find a solution for this!!! ( esperare sentado pero no de brazos cruzados!!! :) ).

Hi, is there currently a way to fold the viper and the venom? I am using the placeable version of the LHD from arma 2 (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5858 which works perfectly in arma 3 by the way) and I would like to fold the rotors of the helos. I tried the A2 folding scripts but they won't work.

Are you saying this works with stand alone Arma 3 or requiring A3MP???

Apologies for any non-intentional hijacking of the thread.

Are you saying this works with stand alone Arma 3 or requiring A3MP???

Apologies for any non-intentional hijacking of the thread.

I think it requires A3MP because it's only 23 KB.

BTW, I have the same problem with the sliding helos in every map (tested in Altis, Stratis, Fallujah, Chernarus...). Also, that happened with the helicopters included in the NBUSMC pack, so, i believe the issue it's related to the game itself, not the addons.

From the last SPOTREP:

Surface friction has been tweaked for various terrain types

Edited by drredfox

Helos have unexpected behavior when on land/trying to land, i think because it uses the "old" simulation instead of the one A3 helos use.

These are the Arma models and textures, so the editing of this addon is permitted with credits given to the guy that ported them?

These are the Arma models and textures, so the editing of this addon is permitted with credits given to the guy that ported them?

Yes, but you know how to edit from "old" simulation to "new simulation"?

From the last SPOTREP:

Surface friction has been tweaked for various terrain types

i discard problems are maps because a3 helicopters land perfect at a3mp maps.

Thanks

To everybody making comments or bug reports about this addon,

the add-on maker, Aplion said he was leaving the modding scene.

I don't know if you guys know that, or maybe if he came back, its possible.

But don't count on getting support for this addon, last time I checked he was not active in the community.

I do remember (I think) he released his addons publicly for anyone to use (Don't quote me on this to violate some licence crap or something I swear)

I think there is a thread somewhere about it, look at that don't take this info from me.

Here's the unbinarized sources for this helo pack as well as his other A2 port packs (not HAFM, despite the shared prefix).

Hey on the Apache, I had the range set to auto and once I messed with some keys it went to where you change the range with page up/down like you do your rifles.. what key toggles this feature? I much prefer the auto-range.

The "sliding" issue is a BIS issue. In the last big patch BIS changed the friction values on the terrain/some of the terrain types in ARMA 3. Unfortunately this new friction value does not play well at all with ARMA 2 Helicopters. Not one bit. There are certain areas where you can land/certain types of terrain and the birds will "stick" properly but they're few and far between. I've found that leveling out and getting to exactly 0 speed before touching down is the easiest way to get the bird on the ground.. When dropping troops, our pilots now just do a hot drop from 1-2m off of the ground with minimal wounding issues.

As it's been said on the last page of this thread: Aplion is on an extended vacation from ARMA 3 modding and there will be no further support for this mod until another community modder takes up the flag with his unbinarized models and fixes the friction issue, the control issue with the Cobra/Venom and the sluggish controls on the Apache as well. He released all of his mods in ubinarized format so that anyone could take up the flag and continue patching them for ARMA 3.

I'd like to give it a go but right now i have a load of other projects to finish and given that the helicopters rotorlib update is coming soon it might be worth waiting a bit so it's not necessary to do the job twice and take advantage of the new features.

I'd like to give it a go but right now i have a load of other projects to finish and given that the helicopters rotorlib update is coming soon it might be worth waiting a bit so it's not necessary to do the job twice and take advantage of the new features.

My thoughts pretty much. I'm also a complete newb and wouldn't even know where to start for adjusting the friction values on the models themselves. Configs is about all I'm decent at right now and even that's questionable.

I hope this hasn't been discussed but I didn't have time to go through 13 pages on this thread. Has anyone noticed that when you try to land the black hawk it will just slide all over the place. I tried to apply brakes like in a jet but had no success with it. I basically have to hover 1 m off the ground or so. Is it a known issue...

Also Great job on the Port over.. They really look great... I was so happy to see them in A3 :)

"Originally Posted by Handicap

The "sliding" issue is a BIS issue. In the last big patch BIS changed the friction values on the terrain/some of the terrain types in ARMA 3. Unfortunately this new friction value does not play well at all with ARMA 2 Helicopters. Not one bit. There are certain areas where you can land/certain types of terrain and the birds will "stick" properly but they're few and far between. I've found that leveling out and getting to exactly 0 speed before touching down is the easiest way to get the bird on the ground.. When dropping troops, our pilots now just do a hot drop from 1-2m off of the ground with minimal wounding issues."

We have experienced this problem aswell another one. With the Venom specifically when you are able to get a solid landing there is a chance that the helicopter will tilt about 45* and the rotors will clip into the ground and result in the aircraft blowing up. I am a friend with a previous short time member of HAF, he spoke with Aplion and he is indeed on vacation and will be back in like 3 weeks.

I hope this hasn't been discussed but I didn't have time to go through 13 pages on this thread. Has anyone noticed that when you try to land the black hawk it will just slide all over the place. I tried to apply brakes like in a jet but had no success with it. I basically have to hover 1 m off the ground or so. Is it a known issue...

Also Great job on the Port over.. They really look great... I was so happy to see them in A3 :)

Yes it's a known problem, i don't know if they were broken before but they sure are now.

Unless someone opens the files and makes the models PhysX compatible there's no way to solve it.

Yes it's a known problem, i don't know if they were broken before but they sure are now.

Unless someone opens the files and makes the models PhysX compatible there's no way to solve it.

Ahhh ok.. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't me. Wish I had the knowledge to fix it myself I just mostly do textures and lighting :/

It was literally discussed like 2 posts above yours.. On the same page.. Way to not even read back on the same page you post on.

It was literally discussed like 2 posts above yours.. On the same page.. Way to not even read back on the same page you post on.

I literally don't give a fuck I don't have time to read 30 pages of post! Why don't you Literally read what I wrote TROLL!