Sign in to follow this  
Αplion

ArmA 2 US Helicopters Import to A3

That would be really nice, the Little Bird from Arma 3 is not maneuverable and light as the one from Arma 2.

Agree! Believe the author has replied to this question once, perhaps he's willing to revise his answer if more people are requesting it. :)

Aplion,

Would it be possible to reclassify the vehicles to place them under the Air class, rather than US Helicopters? This would make this mod compatible with the Virtual Vehicle Spawner.

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing with a frustrating problem. I've installed "arma 2 us heli import to arma 3" properly according the installation guide instructions. In fact I tried it in different ways; I copied into:

• Arma 3\@HAFM ArmA2 Helis\addons - the .pbo file
  • Arma 3\@HAFM ArmA2 Helis\keys the .bisign file

and also tried to copy both .pbo and .bisign files into:

• Arma 3\Addons

Tried them a couple of times and I'm experiencing with game crash all the time. In the editor I can see "US Helicopters" as well all the chopper types but as soon I hit preview the game crashes leaving the following message behind:

bad version 59 in p3d file 'hafm_arma2_helis\ah1z.p3d'

Could you please help me what's wrong?

Have you done it like this? Create a folder and call it addons. Put the .pbo and .bisign files inside it. Create another folder and call it @HAFM_US_Helicopters or something similar. Put the addons folder inside it. Put the @HAFM_US_Helicopters folder into the games directory. Enable it ingame and away you go.

Yes, I have. The same result. How on earth? Is it just me or others have the same issue as well?

Edited by dogpatch06

Is anyone else having issues with the pedals? Once you get accelerating you cannot move left or right at all. I know that speed limits the input, but it straight up does not work.

@ dogpatch06: No, all running fine here. Sounds like your downloaded file is broken somehow. Try to download again, maybe from another source.

@ The Hebrew Hammer: That sounds completely ok. When the forward speed is above a certain level, the air stream will stabilize the chopper (i.e. blows the tail to the back), as it's supposed to, and you can't tilt the body around the vertical axis. Also if the tail rotor is defective, you usually have strong rotation around the vertical axis while hovering, but if you manage to pick up speed without crashing first, then the chopper becomes flyable again.

@ dogpatch06: No, all running fine here. Sounds like your downloaded file is broken somehow. Try to download again, maybe from another source.

@ The Hebrew Hammer: That sounds completely ok. When the forward speed is above a certain level, the air stream will stabilize the chopper (i.e. blows the tail to the back), as it's supposed to, and you can't tilt the body around the vertical axis. Also if the tail rotor is defective, you usually have strong rotation around the vertical axis while hovering, but if you manage to pick up speed without crashing first, then the chopper becomes flyable again.

The pedals are borderline non-responsive. Every other chopper gives a bit of play with them.

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing with a frustrating problem. I've installed "arma 2 us heli import to arma 3" properly according the installation guide instructions. In fact I tried it in different ways; I copied into:

• Arma 3\@HAFM ArmA2 Helis\addons - the .pbo file
  • Arma 3\@HAFM ArmA2 Helis\keys the .bisign file

and also tried to copy both .pbo and .bisign files into:

• Arma 3\Addons

Tried them a couple of times and I'm experiencing with game crash all the time. In the editor I can see "US Helicopters" as well all the chopper types but as soon I hit preview the game crashes leaving the following message behind:

bad version 59 in p3d file 'hafm_arma2_helis\ah1z.p3d'

Could you please help me what's wrong?

.bisign file should be in addons folder not keys folder.

Keys folder insn't important for you, that is for server admins. So don't bother with that.

However the problem seems to be elsewhere as @Brainbug, you should try it download it again.

Anyone else think the flight models for the apache and venom are a bit stuffed, they seem really underpowered and unmanoeuvrable, any chance of an update to fix this?

I can't really spot a difference between the vanilla choppers and the ones in this addon. At around 100-150 km/h a foot rudder movement (i.e. aft rotor change) does still show some reaction, but it bounces back when releasing the key. That is decreasing with higher speeds, so at 250 km/h, there is basically no reaction anymore, on neither chopper. Which seems pretty ok to me, expected behaviour.

And also expect that not every chopper is as manouverable as a Little Bird. e.g. the Chinook flies like a big Bus and you should not expect to make narrow turns like on a rollercoaster that is on rails, choppers will always plunge down a bit, more or less. And not every chopper can manage a looping (regardless what height you have below you).

I think they would be great with the flight models from the A3 helicopters!

I can't really spot a difference between the vanilla choppers and the ones in this addon. At around 100-150 km/h a foot rudder movement (i.e. aft rotor change) does still show some reaction, but it bounces back when releasing the key. That is decreasing with higher speeds, so at 250 km/h, there is basically no reaction anymore, on neither chopper. Which seems pretty ok to me, expected behaviour.

And also expect that not every chopper is as manouverable as a Little Bird. e.g. the Chinook flies like a big Bus and you should not expect to make narrow turns like on a rollercoaster that is on rails, choppers will always plunge down a bit, more or less. And not every chopper can manage a looping (regardless what height you have below you).

Rudders and turning aren't the issue.

The 60's fly perfect.

The chinook is a bit too nimble for it's size, but that's not an issue for me personally.

The Apache is a bit stiff but more than workable given it's role.

The issue is with the "Venom" and the "Viper", or, the Z/Y model series of the Huey and Cobra. The pitch and roll calibration is incredibly off the charts/bad. Like I said two pages ago, I can barrel roll a Venom at 100m altitude. I should not be able to do this. Yet when cruising at about 130km/h I can't get the nose up fast enough for a quick descent/landing like I can with -any- other helicopter in the game. This goes for the cobra too. The pitch is almost unresponsive while flying, whether you're holding still or moving along at top speed. IRL, these are incredibly maneuverable aircraft now that the power plant and rotor configurations have been upgraded. How would I know? I work on one of the teams that brought them into existence and have seen the comparisons done first hand.

If he could bring them in line with the 60's they'd be better off, not perfect, but at least you could maneuver properly in them again.

ok, you're right, I had not tested with that aspects in mind, but there is certainly a difference. Much easier to pull up the MH-60 than the AH-1Z (and it should be the other way round I guess), it's really so slowly responding that it can pan out rather unhealthy after a FFAR strafing run... And I've just checked back in Arma2, but there the pitch is responding better. So either some values were changed during the A2->A3-Port, or the engine interpretes them differently.

btw, Handicap, since you seem to have experience: Is it really realistic that a chopper will climb up so enormously when you try to slow down quickly by pulling the cyclic back, despite putting the collective down completely? I mean, you could possibly even get into a vortex ring state and fall like a brick, but in game when trying to land with a shallow vector (without circling before) when coming from high speed (like a bird that lands on his nest), you will always climb ridiculously high, making any quick but also stealthy approach impossible. I could never understand why you couldn't have a faster sink rate.

in regards to the sink rate. This i think is an with the collective raise and collective lower in Arma 3 itself? ,After connecting a PS3 controller, and setting collective raise to analog... i realized if you give no collective she starts to drop quickly quicker than I've ever been able to drop it using the non analog method and just lowering collective to minimum. Maybe adding a gauge to show % of Collective input? anyhoo. I wanted to throw that out there and also agree i see the Cobra and Huey do fly a bit more cumbersome for being Z/Y block platforms.

ok, you're right, I had not tested with that aspects in mind, but there is certainly a difference. Much easier to pull up the MH-60 than the AH-1Z (and it should be the other way round I guess), it's really so slowly responding that it can pan out rather unhealthy after a FFAR strafing run... And I've just checked back in Arma2, but there the pitch is responding better. So either some values were changed during the A2->A3-Port, or the engine interpretes them differently.

btw, Handicap, since you seem to have experience: Is it really realistic that a chopper will climb up so enormously when you try to slow down quickly by pulling the cyclic back, despite putting the collective down completely? I mean, you could possibly even get into a vortex ring state and fall like a brick, but in game when trying to land with a shallow vector (without circling before) when coming from high speed (like a bird that lands on his nest), you will always climb ridiculously high, making any quick but also stealthy approach impossible. I could never understand why you couldn't have a faster sink rate.

It's always been over-modeled in the OFP games. It seems like it's trying to follow the basic model of a Bell 206, which has so much stored energy that you drop the collective on the downwind land on the spot 180 degrees out for a quick approach. In reality, something heavier (and with a different rotor system) like a -60 will start falling sooner. You actually need to pull in some collective when trying to slow down, as it will help you stop quicker (vectoring more thrust forward) in the -60. Vortex Ring State isn't the issue, but settling with power is if you flew the real thing like you have to in A3 (and A2 and OFP).

FWIW, when A1 came out and in the early versions of A2, the Cobra had a nasty habit of not being able to pull out of a dive. I think the other helos did it as well. Not sure if it was OA or later, but there was a flight model fix that made it much better. I'm wondering if something has changed in A3 again.

.bisign file should be in addons folder not keys folder.

Keys folder insn't important for you, that is for server admins. So don't bother with that.

However the problem seems to be elsewhere as @Brainbug, you should try it download it again.

I did. The same results. Could you please give me a link where I could download a working version from? I downloaded from ArmaHolic and I used both link, yet neither of them is working...

hmm, we downloaded from there, too, and we have no problems with those files, so I can only assume that the issue is not the file but something else on your side. Maybe you use the wrong unpacking program? I'm using 7z 9.32 64bit (http://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/49e6a4d4/9), but also Winrar or probably a bunch of other programs would do the job as well, just be sure to use the latest version (e.g. 7z 9.20 can't open all rar archives).

I use 7-Zip version 9.20 for Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. However I extracted it with TotalCommander 7.55. The .rar file I extracted is 245MB and the two files it contains are the following:

• hafm_arma2_helis.pbo - 307MB

• hafm_arma2_helis.pbo_HAFM.bisign - 4KB

Please confirm - are those the files you have?

Hi, is there currently a way to fold the viper and the venom? I am using the placeable version of the LHD from arma 2 (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5858 which works perfectly in arma 3 by the way) and I would like to fold the rotors of the helos. I tried the A2 folding scripts but they won't work.

I use 7-Zip version 9.20 for Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. However I extracted it with TotalCommander 7.55. The .rar file I extracted is 245MB and the two files it contains are the following:

• hafm_arma2_helis.pbo - 307MB

• hafm_arma2_helis.pbo_HAFM.bisign - 4KB

Please confirm - are those the files you have?

yes, sounds ok. But that's not enough to confirm file integrity, usually you use a hash checksum for that, e.g. MD5, the value for the pbo file should be F749D7CA55534EFA7DE7969B0F39A9F9

The Totalcommander software you use probably has a way to check md5 sums, but a very handy and lightweight tool is http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ (which is also open source and free software, otherwise I'd not recommend it). If the MD5 sum you made from your file isn't the same as the one above, the file is different, and since mine works and yours doesn't, then that's probably the reason.

@Aplion (and actually every uploader of anything downloadable): Would be great if you could get used to posting MD5 sums along with the files, either for the archive and/or for the pbos. It's half a minute of extra work, but could be a help in such cases, as it's the only way to know if you got the proper file.

Is it possibel to fold the blades and tail of the AH-1Z and UH-1Y in the mod's current state? I tried the scripts used to fold them in arma 2, but they didn't work. Is there a script for these?