Sign in to follow this  
[CORP] Sacha

AN/PNC-212 : Simple Military GPS Receiver

I havent opened the code up, but likely you are only using CBA to initialise the addon.

if this is the case, you can rewrite the code and initialise using cfgfunctions preinit, therefore removing any requirements for other addons.

Edited by Terox

Hi,

I'm using CBA for the mapgrid to position conversion function. And also CBA_fnc_strLen hehe.

And also it looks cool when you say that the addon requires CBA, everybody thinks your a big time scripter :D

By the way, I didn't mention that I didn't find a way to keep the device configuration "attached" to it, so that you can drop it on the ground and somebody else can pick it up and see the WPs you entered.

For the moment all the device config is stored in missionNamespace :/ So when you drop the device and pick another, you still have all your settings.

If anybody can give me hints on how to make variables "follow" an item I'de appriciate it very much.

I thought it was pretty obvious that you need to have an item to actualy use it ... Get some sleep man you need it ;)

I think explainning how to add an item to a units inventory is a little bit out of the scope of this thread. Look here for a start : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addItem

The classeName of the AN/PNC-212 is "ItemSMGR".

PM me if you need some more help to use this addon, I'll give your more details.

Bingo! Got it.

No its not obvious. Did not see in docs where a classname is listed. Sorry.

And HOW to use your addon IS the exact scope of this thread.

Looks cool! We'll be playing around with this now instead of Game GPS. Thanks!! :thumb:

For some reason doesn't your addon like the Fallujah map. It reports the Y coords wrongly:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6898448/swebat/pics/smgr_fallujah.jpg (251 kB)

The baghdad map also has Y coordinate errors, however it's more of the fact that the map has the Y coords getting higher closer to the bottom of the map instead of lower.

The baghdad map also has Y coordinate errors, however it's more of the fact that the map has the Y coords getting higher closer to the bottom of the map instead of lower.

Rgr that

For some reason doesn't your addon like the Fallujah map. It reports the Y coords wrongly:

This is because the function I wrote for converting position to 5 decimal grid coordinates assumes that both axis go up towards north and east, the bottom left of the map being 0,0.

I only tested the gps on altis and stratis, that do follow this pattern.

I remember the Arma2 DAGR used to have that kind of problems too. I'll see what I can do to accomodate to maps with "exotic" grids.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Y coordinates are wrong (inverted?) on Chernarus too. If you could find a way to workaround this issue it would be awesome. :)

This is because the function I wrote for converting position to 5 decimal grid coordinates assumes that both axis go up towards north and east, the bottom left of the map being 0,0.

I only tested the gps on altis and stratis, that do follow this pattern.

I remember the Arma2 DAGR used to have that kind of problems too. I'll see what I can do to accomodate to maps with "exotic" grids.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Would it not be possible to check if the map grid starts at 0,0 , and if it doesn't, initiate a function that just reads off the grid on the map and not through the engine values?

EDIT: mapGridPosition correctly grabs nonstandard coordinates but only up to 6 digits. (at least on baghdad it does)

CORRECTION: It's not 6 digits exclusively, it's based off what the mapcreator formatted the grid to be, so if it used the 1-0,A-Z system, it would report for example 1A. You COULD just split this result in half and get X Y, but then a problem arises when it becomes 100A for example. Because then you would get 10 0A

HOWEVER something to note, this is a problem IRL when using GPS receivers and maps that don't use that system. Since not all maps use the same coordinate system.

Also, lets see what can be done with the numpad in terms of controlling it. The problem that arises is that 0 takes up 2 keys.

Although if possible, you could just have it set so that holding 0 works as the Clear key.

And no I don't want full keyboard support for fast typing of names, because I don't see a full keyboard on the device.

Also in the current state of things, for me if I click on the screen it goes to what I clicked on, and then I can just use the arrow keys on my keyboard to move through the menus, however, the last key I clicked on the visual numpad, when I press enter on my numpad it will press that key. These however cannot be combined for whatever reason.

Edited by Fragmagnet

ASR_MAPs or in (A2) ASR_appendix you can find Robalos fix for the lame grid issues. All maps in A2 worked great with DAGR or GPS.

Love this mod, prefer it over BIS GPS. Would it be possible to input waypoint grids and text via physical keyboard? Would like to use this as a proxy CDU while doing CAS in the A-10, but entering waypoints gets in the way of flying, especially entering waypoint names with the virtual buttons.

I love this Mod. Would also like to get it working for Chernarus. My favorite Map right now.

I have the default GPS disabled, and we use this for better immersion. Anyone know of an

Hotfix maybe, or how to convert quick math to adjust that Y axis?

Hello, thanks for your mod.

Will it be possible to have auto change to the next waypoint ? Your gps is very nice, and we can use it when flying, but we have to manually change the waypoint =/

I can't get the GPS unit to show up for pretty much any key I assign to the custom keys 4 and 5. Not sure what is interfering with it as I'm not running that many addons. Is the GPS unit tied in with an inventory item? If so, where is it? I have the addon installed in the proper way. It's activated.

EDIT: Never mind. I went into the pbo and saw that it was an inventory item. Not sure why that was not listed in the readme file. Also, I can't find it in any ammo boxes and had to add it to my unit via Init line.

Edited by Feint

Love this mod, do you know how long it'll be before we can use it with a rangefinder to grab a grid reference? Our JTAC's really need that ability. :)

Hi all,

Just to inform followers of this addon that I'm working on it again.

I'm completly refactoring it, to make it more flexible and maintainable (the first release was more of a prototype).

Requests maid so far that I'll be working on for futur releases:

- Disable ragular GPS (Right Ctrl + M) when equieped with SMGR.

- Support for all MGRS map grids

- Changes in the gui to allow faster input.

- Possibility to select the refresh rate in CONT mode

- Possibility to auto-switch waypoints on proximity

- Data link to Rangefinder and Laser designator

- Holding th SMGR variables in an other namespace than missionNamespace, so that it can be put on the ground znd kee

I hope to be able to make an other release soon.

Hi all,

Just to inform followers of this addon that I'm working on it again.

I'm completly refactoring it, to make it more flexible and maintainable (the first release was more of a prototype).

Requests maid so far that I'll be working on for futur releases:

- Disable ragular GPS (Right Ctrl + M) when equieped with SMGR.

- Support for all MGRS map grids

- Changes in the gui to allow faster input.

- Possibility to select the refresh rate in CONT mode

- Possibility to auto-switch waypoints on proximity

- Data link to Rangefinder and Laser designator

- Holding th SMGR variables in an other namespace than missionNamespace, so that it can be put on the ground znd kee

I hope to be able to make an other release soon.

Awesome! Thanks! :)

Hey Sasha

I would just like to say that I simply adore this modification.

Ever since I switched to ArmA 3 from ArmA 2 ACE I have been hoping that there would be a similar modification added to replicate the DAGR from ACE.

I must say that combining this mod with the Land Navigation Module has proved to be a VERY immersive and fun experience.......espicially when your squad gets lost ;)

My only two grips with the modification in its current format is a lack of a method to "replace batteries", and the seeming lack in "Satellight Connection Lost" when in Urban or heavily forrested areas that is normally experienced with the real thing (but was also not included with ACE, so moot point really). This has not been a killer for me in any way, shape, or form, but merely a minor thing that keeps popping up in my mind when I use the GPS.

Anyway, to say it again as I dont think I can say it enough.

THANK YOU!

Hi,

It's a very nice mod, i love playing with it, for direction as well as Artillery Designation (finding coordinates).

But there's a huge downside for playing it in multiplayer, it's the fact that you're still able to use the Vanilla GPS when equipped. So i changed a little thing in the config and made it a Watch.

I hope you're OK with it, and that it may help some users.

Firstly congratulations for the mod.

Do you have some foresight to upgrade? I would like to use this GPS maps in A3MP.

My clan and I enjoyed your mod a lot.

Sorry to be a noob, but what is the intended use of this item?

Is it supposed to be used to locate where you are if you are say, playing on veteran (or expert or whatever the a3 version is) diffuclty where it does not show the player on the map?

If you equip this in one of those modes, does it show you on the map? Or is this supposed to be used like the dagr in ace to call in arty?

Lol I am confused :confused:

Looks like nice work though.

@MikeTim : The SMGR is intended to be used as the DAGR in Arma2 ACE to :

- Find your position

- Enter waypoints, and get there distance and bearing relative to your position.

@Collombus : I'm currently working on a new version of the mod, hope to release is it ASAP, maybe in two three weeks. Sea answer above for planned features.

Thanks for using this mod, and for the regular feedback.

Hi everyone,

Here is the new version of the SMGR :

smgr_v2.jpg

Download links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvv2eme9lg93f1f/%40SMGR.zip

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24835

Instructions are included in the readme.

Changelog :

Fixed : compatibility with all MGRS map grids.

Fixed : device actualy shuts down at 0% battery;

Modified : refactored almost all functions.

Modified : new GUI with 3D object

Added : you can replace the battery using the same battery as for laser designators.

Added : data link to laser designator.

Added : you can auto-cycle waypoints on proximty.

Added : you can set the refresh rate for CONT mode.

Removed : Dependance to CBA.

Known limitations :

Lighting issues on the 3D model (no direct light, model very bright when map is shown).

The vanilla GPS is still usable when the SMGR is equiped (because of simulation="ItemGPS").

The variables are still stored in the player's mission namespace. Meaning all the settings and state (battery level, waypoints etc) stick to the player not the item.

Any help to solve the above issues would be greatly appreciated

I hope you like it, all feedback and issue reporting is welcome.

Edited by GID_Sacha

Hi there ! thanks for your work and the update, we've been using this mod for some times now and we were expecting this update, especially for the compatibility.

I've tested it this morning and i have to say i'm a little disapointed, let me explain in blue color quoting your changelog :

Hi everyone,

Here is the new version of the SMGR :

http://www.clan-gid.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/smgr_v2.jpg

Not a big fan of the new design, but i guess it's personnal.

I have an issue, tested without any other mods, i can't press the bottom right button of the touchscreen (SEL most of the time), it's ok for menu navigation, but i can't save WP :/

Instructions are included in the readme.

Changelog :

Fixed : compatibility with all MGRS map grids. Oh Yeah !

Fixed : device actualy shuts down at 0% battery; Oh yeah !!!

Modified : refactored almost all functions.

Modified : new GUI with 3D object

Added : you can replace the battery using the same battery as for laser designators. Great Idea !

Added : data link to laser designator. Some of us actually liked to do some maths in the game to find coordinates of the targeted point

Added : you can auto-cycle waypoints on proximty. Cool

Added : you can set the refresh rate for CONT mode. Nice, does it involve battery economy ?

Removed : Dependance to CBA.

Known limitations :

Lighting issues on the 3D model (no direct light, model very bright when map is shown).

The vanilla GPS is still usable when the SMGR is equiped (because of simulation="ItemGPS"). I've posted a message a few weeks ago, i changed it myself in the older version and made it ="ItemWatch", no more GPS.

The variables are still stored in the player's mission namespace. Meaning all the settings and state (battery level, waypoints etc) stick to the player not the item.

Any help to solve the above issues would be greatly appreciated

I hope you like it, all feedback and issue reporting is welcome.

Would it be possible to have two versions of the GPS, one simpler with the old design and no compatibily with Laser Designator (and maybe less setting options like refresh rate stuck to 5 or 10 sec, no auto-cycle waypoint...) and one with the new design and all the cool new features.

I hope you guys can sort this out, i'm actually french so let me know if i can help you in any way or if you need testing with a lot of players (we play we 30 - 55 dudes every night).

Thanks again for this addon !