Sign in to follow this  
_angus_

Trigger fires after set duration or at specific game time?

Apologies for what is probably a very basic question, but I wondered if it was possible to trigger an event at a specific time in the game so if I set the game to start a 12.00 noon, can I have something happen at 12.07 for example? Or would I need to somehow have it happen after a seven minute duration?

I have written a mission where the player is hunting for a senior enemy officer, but it isn't until clearing the first suspected location that the player is told the officer is actually somewhere else. Unsure of how to proceed, I have the officer walking some distance between waypoints as a kind of timer - but how would I "create" the officer at a specific time and place?

Thanks for any advice.

Perhaps daytime?

Divide the number of spare minutes by 60 to get the decimal value. For your example of 1207, 7/60 = 0.11666... or 0.117.

Spawn your script or call it via execVM. Put a waitUntil above your code in the script:

waitUntil {daytime == 12.117};
<CODE HERE>;

Your code will be executed when the time of day on your server is 1207.

There may be a better/more efficient way to do this. Perhaps a counter or a simple trigger timeout/countdown. Script or trigger, just make sure it is only run on the server.

*edit* - See below!

Edited by Harzach

Apologies for what is probably a very basic question, but I wondered if it was possible to trigger an event at a specific time in the game so if I set the game to start a 12.00 noon, can I have something happen at 12.07 for example? Or would I need to somehow have it happen after a seven minute duration?

I have written a mission where the player is hunting for a senior enemy officer, but it isn't until clearing the first suspected location that the player is told the officer is actually somewhere else. Unsure of how to proceed, I have the officer walking some distance between waypoints as a kind of timer - but how would I "create" the officer at a specific time and place?

Thanks for any advice.

In your trigger, change the contents of the condition field to the following:

floor daytime >= [b]12[/b] && floor (60 * (daytime % 1)) >= [b]7[/b];

Then change 12 and 7 to whatever hour and minute you want.

Or if you want seconds too:

floor daytime >= 12 && floor (60 * (daytime % 1)) >= 7 && floor (60 * ((60 * (daytime % 1)) % 1)) >= 34

Then change 12, 7 and 34 to whatever hour, minute and second you want.

Edited by MulleDK19

In your trigger, change the contents of the condition field to the following:

floor daytime >= [b]12[/b] && floor (60 * (daytime % 1)) >= [b]7[/b];

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

So could I put your line in the condition field:

floor daytime >= 12 && floor (60 * (daytime % 1)) >= 7;

and then in the on activation field:

"BadOfficerDude" createUnit [getMarkerPos "Marker1"]

or would I need to get your line to call up a separate trigger that executed my line?

Again, apologies for my ignorance.

Just a heads-up, since the effects of triggers are local, and editor-placed triggers exist on all machines, doing a createVehicle command will result in an object created for each instance of the trigger. So in the event that you have 5 players, you will also spawn 5 BadOfficerDude's. I suggest that you instead, on activation, execVM an .sqf that contains that same line but within a scope that checks for isServer.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

So could I put your line in the condition field:

floor daytime >= 12 && floor (60 * (daytime % 1)) >= 7;

and then in the on activation field:

"BadOfficerDude" createUnit [getMarkerPos "Marker1"]

or would I need to get your line to call up a separate trigger that executed my line?

Again, apologies for my ignorance.

You can do it in this trigger. That's the point. The trigger activates when the time hits 12:07, not when its own settings are met, due to the condition change. Anything in the activation field will execute when it activates.

;2631775']Just a heads-up' date=' since the effects of triggers are local, and editor-placed triggers exist on all machines, doing a createVehicle command will result in an object created for each instance of the trigger. So in the event that you have 5 players, you will also spawn 5 BadOfficerDude's. I suggest that you instead, on activation, execVM an .sqf that contains that same line but within a scope that checks for isServer.[/quote']

That was overly complicated.

For multiplayer, simply change the condition of the trigger to:

isServer && (floor daytime >= 12 && floor (60 * (daytime % 1)) >= 7);

Was thinking about if/then not working, didn't even consider the fact that it is just a condition. Thanks for the clarification.

You can do it in this trigger. That's the point. The trigger activates when the time hits 12:07, not when its own settings are met, due to the condition change. Anything in the activation field will execute when it activates.

Thanks very much for your patience, guys - very helpful.