silola

"X-Cam" and "DAC" Project

After the last released video I want to start a one-week pre-release test,

to make sure that I've made no heavy mistake and so on.

Please let me know if anyone would like to attend the one-week test session.

Maybe we expand this test session, depending on how it works over all.

Oh Oh!! Pick me!! Especially if you need someone to run around in their panties and get shot at :p

...someone to run around in their panties ...

Arghh.. no, I don't even want to think about it :P

Hi ... only 2 more videos ;)

part 18 of the video tutorial is ready now.

- Extended options for the single brush

- Extended options for the multi brush

- Extended options for an object selection

http://www.x-cam-editor.de

Silola

I am tracking this project from beginning and I am also interested in test session :)

Great work Silola!

Silola, you goddamn magician of editing, stop teasing us so much ;) Looking lovely already, very much looking forward to all the tutorials and creations using X-cam.

May Arma terrain making reborn! ;D

silola, if there is space I would like to try testing this out. I am interested to try this as it seems to be the solution I need to make immersive CQB maps.

Thanks

Hi,

part 19 of the video tutorial is ready now.

- Extended options for the copy function

- Extended restricted object movement

- All about the system window

- All abaout the search window

http://www.x-cam-editor.de

Silola

Hey, first of all great job, you did there, keep it up!! :)

And secondly a question: Will it be possible to edit arma 2 maps with this tool? Like import the map to arms 3 edit it and port it back to A2?

Grüsse ausm Pott ;)

Hey, first of all great job, you did there, keep it up!! :)

And secondly a question: Will it be possible to edit arma 2 maps with this tool? Like import the map to arms 3 edit it and port it back to A2?

Grüsse ausm Pott ;)

Hi and thanks :)

Unfortunately I have not the time to explain you all the steps, how you can port a Arma2 map into Arma3, but the X-Cam can do this job definitely not,

because the X-Cam is only a simple object placement tool with the possibility to generate import files for the terrain builder, or export Mission and script files if you need.

You need good experiences with the official tools and of course you need the source data to perform a port.

But that's not all ... there are many other important things you have to know.

Silola

(Grüße aus dem Siegerland)

Hi Silola,

I confess I have not watched all the tutorials from start to finish - to feel free to answer my questions with "RTFM" (or "WTFV" in this case). As such, these may be very stupid questions, and I beg your patience and pardon if so. :)

Skimming the tutorials - I could not find anything explicitly about exporting projects in a format that will work with TerrainBuilder, or what format the exported X-Cam projects are in, and how they might be converted into PBOs.

So, for example, if I have begun a project in TerrainBuilder and placed some objects, can I import that into X-Cam, add more objects and then export a file that I can take back into TerrainBuilder (if I so desired)?

Is it case of creating a PBO of the incomplete terrain, loading that into X-Cam, and then adding objects to that as you would, to say, to a completed map like Altis, as shown in the tutorials?

I assume this is a very similar case if you start with a new blank barebones terrain (with only the heightmap, mask, sat, layers, clutter, roads etc, but no objects)? You would make a PBO of the blank terrain, load that into X-cam and add objects?

If so - how do I then export that project in a form I can then package into a PBO? Another way to state this question is - in what format does X-Cam export projects?

I know all of this is possible - since the X-Cam prototype map is the living proof. I was just wondering how you did it (though perhaps this is the subject of Tutorial 20?). :)

Thank you for your time and for the life-changing tool that X-cam promises to be!

with the xcam map we started with a empty map in arma. while filling the map with xcam we exported our "projects" and gave them to silola who then imported them to terrainbuilder and made a new pbo of the map so we could get the newest version of all placed objects.

a) start arma with your current version of the map

b) place objects with the xcam

c) export your xcam project to file

d) import file in TB

e) check if everything imported correctly in TB

f) do the TB magic to create a new PBO -> a)

The xcam map has the config in a seperated PBO from all the "big" image files, so we never needed to exchange big files

and sorry, i don't know the exact format of those import files. but those were simple textfiles which contained all data TB needed for a import (model, cords, height, scale,...).

Edited by t-800a

Hi,

all that t-800 has said is true.

I assume this is a very similar case if you start with a new blank barebones terrain (with only the heightmap, mask, sat, layers, clutter, roads etc, but no objects)? You would make a PBO of the blank terrain, load that into X-cam and add objects?

That's the right way. But it's allways possible, to go on with the X-Cam, no matter how many objects are already part of the map.

But please note ... it's not possible to edit or change maps like altis, because you always need the source data.

And yes ... to see how it works within the X-Cam, wait for the last tutorial part ;)

Silola

Hi,

all that t-800 has said is true.

That's the right way. But it's allways possible, to go on with the X-Cam, no matter how many objects are already part of the map.

But please note ... it's not possible to edit or change maps like altis, because you always need the source data.

And yes ... to see how it works within the X-Cam, wait for the last tutorial part ;)

Silola

Thank you both for the information and clarifications.

From what I gather - X-cam is exporting the objects as text file that TB can import (can't recall the format name off the top of my head). So you do all your placement in X-Cam, export the objects text file, import that into TB using Import Objects (you'll have to have all the object libraries for the objects you use active in your map for this to work, I think), save the TB project file with all the new objects, then PBO the project file as normal. Cool - makes sense!

I'll look forward to Tutorial 20 and, of course, the first release. It might just be in time for the fine object placement in my new terrain (hence my questions).

Edited by Major_Desync

So x-cam is not a 3D Editor for mission making? is it only for new terrain creation?.

I wanted to give it a try in the beta, to take a look at it because I wanted to do an urban MP mission creating a town in a place that is not filled in altis.

VUVE6PN.jpg[/img]

Well I have no access to x-cam (yet I hope :D) but in my understanding this is theoretically possible as you can export projects to sqm/sqf. Then you can load this file at the begining of your mission and voila you got yourself a city somewhere.

However, this is not the main focus of x-cam as it is developed with object placement on new terrains in mind. Furthermore you can already to this with Zeus+MCC or the Mapbuilder addon by Neo.

So x-cam is not a 3D Editor for mission making? is it only for new terrain creation?.

I wanted to give it a try in the beta, to take a look at it because I wanted to do an urban MP mission creating a town in a place that is not filled in altis.

You can also export to a mission.sqm file, but you can only export objects and not units.

With the exportet mission.sqm you can then start over in the regular editor.

I guess X-Cam is best referred to as (rapid) object placement tool at the moment. ;)

So for the mission maker - basically you start off with XCam on your map of choice, add any objects etc desired for the mission, export to .sqm, open in editor and place your units, triggers, etc, save mission, drink beer?

I would recommend drinking beer while placing objects ... just to make one splendid thing out of two great things. but yes savage!

I would recommend drinking beer while placing objects ... just to make one splendid thing out of two great things. but yes savage!

Most excellent suggestion!! This will definitely increase the quality of my missions :p