Sign in to follow this  
iconoclastdx

Can I run multiple instances of Arma (steam) for MP testing purposes?

I have a dedi running plus a single Arma.exe working fine. I cant figure out how to get another Arma.exe running though so that I can test MP related stuff. Or is there a brighter way of approaching this?? Thanks!

Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3

Create a file called steam_appid.txt and put 107410 in it.

Save and close the file.

You can now start Arma3.exe multiple times. (Must start it through the .exe, not Steam).

You may want to start it with the -pause argument too, so the game keeps rendering when focus is lost.

Also, set your game to windowed, and lower you graphics settings before you start any instance of the game.

Whether or not this is condoned I do not know. But it's the only viable solution for testing multiplayer missions, as calling in your friends every 2 seconds makes you lose friends.

And it's just tiresome to say "Does this work?", "Do you see this?", all the time, without actually knowing what they're seeing.

I have that file in my directory and it does allow me to run two instances but I need a way to run two instances while on steam. I've never been able to join a server unless I was in "online mode" on steam. I've assumed this was the case for everyone but I guess I've never asked. If there is a way around that I would be extremely happy!! How do all of you make such brilliant MP content without being able to test it ???

I have that file in my directory and it does allow me to run two instances but I need a way to run two instances while on steam. I've never been able to join a server unless I was in "online mode" on steam. I've assumed this was the case for everyone but I guess I've never asked. If there is a way around that I would be extremely happy!! How do all of you make such brilliant MP content without being able to test it ???

Multiplayer doesn't work in offline mode.

Why do you need to be offline?

Is it possible to make AI unit which is treated like a player? Basicly player simulation?

Multiplayer doesn't work in offline mode.

Why do you need to be offline?

I dont NEED to be online. However I do need an environment where I can test MP situations. IF there is a way to accurately simulate and test multiple players then I would love to know. I still cant understand how others test MP scripts etc. Do you all really just bug friends/random people and repeatedly ask if this or that is working right?

I dont NEED to be online. However I do need an environment where I can test MP situations. IF there is a way to accurately simulate and test multiple players then I would love to know. I still cant understand how others test MP scripts etc. Do you all really just bug friends/random people and repeatedly ask if this or that is working right?

You join your own server...

I appreciate your response, but perhaps I am being unclear. Most of the MP situations that I'm having trouble with require at least two (2) clients to adequately test and debug (for instance, scripts called from one player affecting others). While they may be elegant methods for dissecting and debugging such code as to not require two clients, I unfortunately have not reached such proficiency. I am struggling as it is to understanding and implementing the meager things I can. Not having a complete testing environment is quickly becoming a significant barrier. This is why I assumed I was missing something. Are you suggesting that I can join my own server locally while not "online?" If so could you please elucidate as I'm not sure how.

Wasn't that the point of starting two instances?

You start one instance of the game, open a LAN server, and then you start another instance of the game and you join the server you created in the other instance. So now you have 2 players. Server and client.

Then you start another instance, and another instance, until you have as many players as you need to test.

If you make the windows small enough, you can see all player's "screens" at the same time.

Wow. Thank you! I would have sworn that I'd tried that before with no luck but it does indeed work. I assume that doing it this way makes isDedicated=false. So I can just change those checks to isServer and to test any dedicated related code? Thank you again.

just be carefull, not sure if u trying to test with dedicated but I ran a dedi server from my machine and connected to it to test a mission. for some reason it wiped my whole profile.

I play on hostile takeover servers and I had to start from scratch...