Sign in to follow this  
tibador

Pilot Turret

Is it possible for a pilot of a Helo to run his own gun turret with head tracking ?

it could be possible I guess.... probably make his memorypoint for view on the memory LOD to be like viewpilot... then make an animation for the up/down and the side/side for the turret and connect the animation source to the pilot view ? i dont know if this will work... but possibility

Well lets say skip the animation and just make a proxy gun for now it would be just linking the View like a normal turret ?

i suppose, just try that because i can't reall think that... but it it coupe possibly work

just like an apache gunner

Edited by alexboy

Sorry to dig this up, but has anyone had success with creating pilot turrets for custom choppers? I have modeled a one-man, turret enabled chopper that I'd like to be able to get its weapon turret functioning. As it is right now, I have added a temporary gunner proxy so that I can at least test the turret, its gun, and its searchlight (pretty cool to see the searchlight swiveling on the turret). Ultimately, the gunner position has to go; it is a one-man airframe after all.

I also have a few other small vehicles where I'd like to have some pilot/driver control over movable turrets: small one-man tracked armor, police car with searchlights on the windshield post, one-man vtol patrol craft.

Yes. I took a peek at some of their scripting for that vehicle, and I play-tested it. I could see head tracking working for the Apache's sensor, but not for the gun. They provide instructions for getting it to work, but after aligning all the ducks it still doesn't work - not even for the copilot. At first glance it seems they achieve their gun and sensor head tracking in the additional .sqf files, but I wonder if that's only out of the need for its complexity. So, could a simpler pilot turret be done using only the standard .cpp file?

Kudos to those guys for such an in-depth and technical vehicle mod, but it's way over the top for what I want to achieve for my helis. If I were to dissect that, I might get swamped trying to cut through the numerous unneeded parts.

I was able to use it, at least, where I moved my head the gun would shoot - because it doesn't have a HUD crosshair, it wasn't laser accurate.  It also worked when in the FLIR camera but that also didn't have a crosshair.

I was able to use it, at least, where I moved my head the gun would shoot - because it doesn't have a HUD crosshair, it wasn't laser accurate.

As pilot or as copilot?  Turret following head movement of the gunner is a standard feature used in both vanilla attack helicopters. Controlling turrets as pilot/driver is not possible without scripting

• Like 1

...Controlling turrets as pilot/driver is not possible without scripting

Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading that somewhere, but it may have been hearsay. Would you say it requires complex scripting? From what I saw while poking around in the Apache .sqf files, the IHAADs files were short and simple, but there was another .sqf file which handled a LOT of functions. Thus, it was very complex. They may have commented explanations in it, but I didn't look very hard.

As pilot or as copilot?  Turret following head movement of the gunner is a standard feature used in both vanilla attack helicopters. Controlling turrets as pilot/driver is not possible without scripting

It works fine as a pilot-you just need to make sure you turn the "gun tracking" option on.Not head tracking-that is for things like TrackIR

It works fine as a pilot-you just need to make sure you turn the "gun tracking" option on.Not head tracking-that is for things like TrackIR

I'm confused now. I thought the purpose of this topic was to discuss the possibility to control the main gun, as a pilot, with TrackIR. Could you please clarify, because your post along with the post you quoted seems to dismiss the topic?

I'm confused now. I thought the purpose of this topic was to discuss the possibility to control the main gun, as a pilot, with TrackIR. Could you please clarify, because your post along with the post you quoted seems to dismiss the topic?

Apologies-I meant you can have the gun follow your character's head movement while in the pilot set-like a real Apache.Vanilla choppers dont do this. i assume it also works for TrackIR. Enable Head tracking, then enable gun tracking and get in the pilot seat.

• Like 1

I finally figured it out, but I still think it's way too complicated. There are several steps needed to get to having the option to turn on gun control. I'm not even sure what I did this time, but I'm pretty sure the option wasn't always on the actions menu. It's a fantastic mod, but it's way too technical, and not very forgiving. Once you finally get it right it flies decently, and its gun control is fairly accurate.

It would be cool for a mod to feature a more intuitive heli-pilot-controlled-gun set up, but also require the pilot to be wearing a certain helmet in order to control the main gun.