Sign in to follow this  
ScharfSepp

Floating an idea for a unique realism "unit"

A little about me, I am a US Army veteran with combat experience as an NCO, I believe my idea is a bit unique given the current array of teams and units out there.

Here's the basic idea:

A "realism unit" that will be "OPFOR", that is "Opposing Forces". What I would like to do is found a relatively small unit that specializes in OPFOR operations, TTP, and equipment. The intent is to have a small, cohesive unit that is extremely versatile, well trained, and active. The unit would essentially be an "elite" unit, without the common headaches of "by the book" operation with stringent rules, regulations, and structure.

The angle I'm getting at, is there can be a LOT of opportunities for such a unique and community friendly unit to thrive and participate with any and all units out there in their various training, and operational deployments. This unit would be "elite" and capable of providing solutions to every unit out there who would like to test themselves against an opposing force who is elite, well trained, and, well, competent. This unit could also be used to provide knowledge, direction, and training to these other units.

Some of the specifics (TTP, structure, equipment etc.) will be based on various special forces units around the world, with nothing specific, with everything about the unit being practical, and battle focused. No extra clutter.. The unit will be flexible and well trained in order to accurately emulate various hostile or fictional units and organizations around the world.

I am against having any by the book ranking structure as well, each member will have chances to lead any or all elements in combat, and every member will be equally trained at a much higher level than normally found in other units. The idea here is to have a cadre of competent, well trained, and elite individuals that can act as members of a team, or perform leadership duties as needed. Everyone will be able to operate a myriad of vehicles, equipment, and weaponry.

The idea I'm really banking on is once formed and trained this unit would be called on by other units to assist in their own training, or to provide OPFOR in any combat scenarios. This, ontop of in-house training and operations would allow for a high volume of unique and fun activities.

That's what it should be all about in my opinion, fun. Not grinding through ranks, sitting around bored in training, or being restricted and subjugated in some unit structure.

Please post or PM if anyone is interested. The only hard part will be recruiting the right people for such a unit.

Edited by ScharfSepp

I've been looking at rolling around in a unit for a while, and this seems good. No extra clutter and obnoxious rigidness. I am put off by a lot the mandatory training that you must attend or else you'll be kicked out of a few clans. I understand the purpose and I have no problem with the concept, but it's not for me. I'm 17 and I'm taking quite a few AP courses in school and I don't have time to do an hour every night to sit around and learn every single obscure and unused radio protocol (just in case I need to call for tactical space laser support against the furniture-stealing alien menace) or something. If I need to miss a few training sessions because I'm working on an essay or at a track meet, I'd like that flexibility. Basically this seems cool and I'd like to try it out.

TL;DR I'mma see where this goes. Consider my interest piqued.

Your idea is really good in my opinion, I bet that many realism units would love real humans as their opponents! :)

A tip to streamers; battles like this streamed from spectate cam and commentated properly could be very exciting and unique!

Not unique. There are already Arma communities with well trained players (even trained elite units) that play tvt events against each other, you just have to know where to find them. Not everyone runs around playing Domination, Altis life and Wasteland. Tread lightly when approaching other communities with an "elite" unit, you may get your butt handed to you in battle.

Tread lightly when approaching other communities with an "elite" unit, you may get your butt handed to you in battle.

Based on the content of the original post, I suspect he means it more as more "specialized", not "better than most". Of course, specialization should ultimately lead to being better than most in that area, so you never know who will be holding their asses at the end of the day.

I have seen other OPFOR clans, so it's not a unique idea, but it's not a bad idea either. Good luck!

We're officially created, we have 8 members as of formation. See our recruiting thread here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173746-Team-OPFOR-(Forming-now!)

Not unique. There are already Arma communities with well trained players (even trained elite units) that play tvt events against each other, you just have to know where to find them. Not everyone runs around playing Domination, Altis life and Wasteland. Tread lightly when approaching other communities with an "elite" unit, you may get your butt handed to you in battle.

We look forward to meeting and participating with any established units out there. If we get our butt handed to us that's the way the dice roles, we simply look forward to playing, training, and participating with other units, no matter the outcome. One emphasis we are making is to put ourselves in a situation to get our butts handed to us to further the training and experience of other units. We are formed as a cadre of military veterans as well as arma veterans, we're here for fun and hopefully to help others.

Based on the content of the original post, I suspect he means it more as more "specialized", not "better than most". Of course, specialization should ultimately lead to being better than most in that area, so you never know who will be holding their asses at the end of the day.

I have seen other OPFOR clans, so it's not a unique idea, but it's not a bad idea either. Good luck!

The uniqueness does not come from the fact that we are merely OPFOR, the uniqueness comes from the idea that we're very experienced in real life, as well as arma, and our foremost goal is to provide other units with opportunities to train with and against us. By elite, you are correct in assuming it's because we will specialize in providing a dedicated well trained, and cohesive opposing force for other units. Our training and experience is "battle focused", meaning everything we do revolves around expanding and honing our craft in firefights and combat as a whole. Thanks for the replies, see you on the battlefield. :ok:

We're officially created, we have 8 members as of formation. See our recruiting thread here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173746-Team-OPFOR-(Forming-now!)

Your intentions are good, but since your unit already exists and has a thread, I have to :padlock: this one, since it sorta/kinda doubles as a second squad thread :q: