Sign in to follow this  
person915

Spawning AI in Vehicles?

I'm trying to insert a USMC Fireteam group into a UH-1Y. The helicopter is flying when the mission starts.

Grouping the chopper and the team won't work, because if they are grouped together when I set the fireteam's waypoints, the chopper will follow the same waypoints. For instance, the fireteam is supposed to ride in the chopper, and the chopper transports them to a specific location, where it lands momentarily while the fireteam gets out, then flies off as the fireteam follows a different direction of waypoints. What happens when they're grouped is that the pilots of the chopper end up getting out with them, and I don't want that. They need to be their own groups.

I know there is a command that will let you insert units into vehicles without grouping them, but I can't remember or find it around here, which is a shame, because I know it's somewhere. I also don't know if I'll have to (when using the command I just mentioned, the one I don't remember) give the chopper a name and use the command in the units' init field, or if I name the units and use the command in the chopper's init field.

Hopefully that will be comprehensible. Can anyone help?

Name the UH-1Y

Name your group in the leaders init:

Group1 = group this

Put this in a trigger:

{_x moveInCargo vehicleName} forEach units group1;

Or this in the group leaders init:

{_x moveInCargo vehicleName} forEach units group this;

Oh, thanks, you simultaneously answered another one of my questions of how to name a group! Some concepts of naming in the editor are a bit difficult for me as I just don't know WHERE they go, like naming a group, but if I put that logic to other scripts I might be able to figure it out, thanks.

As for the cargo problem, I just used your MoveInCargo script in each of the units' init fields, and named the UH-1Y. I couldn't remember what the script was, but that reminded me of it. I will try to use the concept you're using in your suggestion here, as in naming the group and moving the entire group as cargo in just one command, but I might try it a different way at first, as that script is a bit confusing to me and playing with it might help me get a feel for what it does. Actually, the only things that really confuse me about that script are the use of brackets, and the _x. Why are they like that?

Actually I have no idea why its set up that way but I have used the command for a while now. It works in Trig Activ: on waypoints, in scripts and init files so its really reliable.

You only have to have the command in a group leader's init, not on every soldier. Also if you use {_x AssignAsCargo vehicleName} forEach units group1; they will dynamically run and get in which is good for missions where the player is meant to see the event happen.