Sign in to follow this  
darkwiiplayer

Setting the target of a homing missile

So I am making (or at least trying to) a mission for ArmA 3, and one of the things I want to do is a radar-based anti-air system. The problem is that I need to create the missiles myself and don't know how to set the target of a homing AA-Missile. Does anybody know a way to do this? Guiding the missiles myself WOULD be an option, but that would be really hard to script, since I don't want the missiles to always face directly at the target, and I also want flares to still work, etc.

The problem with that script is that, as far as I understand it, the missile always points exactly at the target, instead of adjusting the trajectory slowly like a real missile would, which means tahat it's always going to hit. Also flares won't work that way. What I need is something that let's me change the target of the missile, so that the game engine handles the rest for me. I don't know if there is such a function, but I didn't found anything like that after hours of searching, so I thought someone here might know.

Yes it does fire at one target, usually a laser target that can be aimed and moved even when in a missile is in flight.

You could also use a small object that can be attached to an object and if you change you mind re-attach to another target.

Edited by F2k Sel

Yes it does fire at one target, usually a laser target that can be aimed and moved even when in a missile is in flight.

You could also use a small object that can be attached to an object and if you change you mind re-attach to another target.

What mean is, each iteration of the loop the angle of the missile is set to the exact direction of the target, so it will always be flying straight at the target, so it will never miss. Also it doesn't react to flares, so it's even more impossible to survive it. In short, if that thing is launched aiming at you, you die. What I want is something like a long-range AA-missile that depends on a radar and on the height of the aircraft, so that it won't be fired if you fly below the radar or if said radar is destroyed, which will be an optional objective for the mission.

Works well in ARMA 3!!!

I tried to put it into a test mission in Arma 3, but there's no functions manager. I see a simulations manager, tried that, but didnt work.

edit:

Nevermind, I had to change the munitions in the addaction to a type in Arma 3, and that simulations manager synced to the logic worked.

Edited by RTEK

What mean is, each iteration of the loop the angle of the missile is set to the exact direction of the target, so it will always be flying straight at the target, so it will never miss. Also it doesn't react to flares, so it's even more impossible to survive it. In short, if that thing is launched aiming at you, you die. What I want is something like a long-range AA-missile that depends on a radar and on the height of the aircraft, so that it won't be fired if you fly below the radar or if said radar is destroyed, which will be an optional objective for the mission.

I think most of that could still be simulated, Paint a target on the aircraft while above x height.

Have an eventhandler on the plane to detect when flares are fired and then remove target so missile misses.

How well it would work is anybodies guess.

I just usually spawn an invisible vehicle around the aircraft when above a certain height and let that do the firing and guiding.

Cant u spawn a AA guy and setTarget & Fire?, when radar is destroyed he dies...

I want an AA-System that covers a large region of altis with only 1 or 2 launch sites, so no, that wouldn't work :(