Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Larger then 50 meters sections ok for player transitions?

Anyone pleae guys? I can't find any updated info about this, but read here that it could have been?

Hey sorry I didn't respond to your pm. I forgot :)

I remember talking about this before and saying that they supposedly fixed this but I don't find this to be the case. I've tested large objects and find they still disappear at funky angles. My suggestion to you would be to test it with a big object. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just create a large cube or something.

Hey man, thanks for getting back..!

Is it only a visual issue, or is it things like LOD/AI pathing or some other stuff that messes up?

Is it limited to visual bugs now- for example, say i create a 100 meter long building, stick it in A3 from the editor and it seems to work fine for 5 hours testing- would that be ok? Or could there be an issue I dont see?

Do you get me?

Also, whats the situation with this "cutting up" thing? It just seems so ropey to me?

I mean, what about AI Pathlods etc? How would they match up as I take it they just wouldnt work seamlessly?

It seems like a thing to simply avoid, making buildings out of "parts"?

Also, if its one building, cut into 4 parts, might each part may as well use its own unique rvmultimat, or better to use the same one? 16 textures or 4 across it all?

Its such a rooey area and not well documented..?

Edited by meshcarver

I have not tested big buildings again for a while but a 100 meter long plane surprised me and all collision seemed to work ok. Have to try with buildings now too! I've made 80x80 meter hangar from 4 40x40 pieces and the AI pathlod ends are in the same general area in all parts and AI could pass from one to another.

roadway and geolods are made to overlap eachother a bit as I noticed that if there is tiniest gap between them you can fall into that

They could use the same textures for sure, mine does not since the parts will eventually differ more from each other but I see no reason why not.

Edited by HorribleGoat

Cheers guys.

So, when you say AIpathlods are are the same general area, do you mean they can be "pathless" for awhile in between where the paths are then sort of "find" a path again? Shouldn't the paths be exactly snapped to each other between models if possible?

Would you say 25cms is enough extra for the ROADwaylods and GEOlods to stop the falling over?

Regarding the different RVMultimats for each part, I was asking because if it (I don't know if it is) IS loading in the SAME 4 textures for each different part, then you might aswell have different looking textures as it all goes to VRAM space anyway? Do you see what I mean? I know it's more work creating the textures, but I'm just trying to find out if this is in fact what would happen...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dcgbn3chxdsx58/Pathlods_01.jpg?dl=0

Heres how I've set them up between two adjacent pieces. At least like this Ai was able to cross from one piece to another. They're not exactly pathless as the path end areas overlap, but they don't need to be exact.

25cm is should be enough overlap I think, I used 1 meter but thats just because I was lazy when I used the move tool in oxygen.