Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Larger then 50 meters sections ok for player transitions?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know from experience about snapping together large 50 meters structures?

I'm planning on making a huge vast structure so obviously it'll have to be made of 50 meter sections that I'll then snap together.

What I want to know is where the ROADWAYlods/GEOlods etc snap together and meet up- will there be ANY issues/problems with players walking/stairways along them or crawling etc? Falling through floors or just not working in general?

Is this an issue please?

For now, AI doesn't concern me too much as I'm just thinking about it from a player perspective.

Cheers guys,

Marc

from the things i have been playing with, personally ive found giving the roadway-lod a 'lip' or overhang past the edge of the model where it can overlap the other object, helped prevent the 'magic fall-thru spot'...but i'll note i've been joining things on a smaller than 50m scale, and haven't tested any stairs

Edited by dr_strangepete

Cant comment about A3, but NOTHING I've seen or read in these forums over the last 18 months suggests you'll get different performance compared to A2.

Which means, bigger than 50x50 unlikely to work for players or AI.

Petes suggestion is what I've always done for A2 models. Try to keep it to 50x50 max with a little extra ROADWAY lod to avoid gaps. PATHWAY lods are unfortunately tricky (hit/miss), but doable.

Thank you both for your input fellas, appreciated.

Ok, in that case I reckon I'll limit my structure part sizes to 45 meters, as that'll give a safe area of 5 meters to play with as far as ROADWAYlods etc go.

I'll keep you both posted chaps, and thanks again.

Marc

There was a update(a3) the other day that supposedly allows bigger than 50x50 structures. I haven't tested it yet tho. I know in toh it's been fixed so maybe they took notes from there

Holy crap, are you serious..!?!?

Where can we find this information please M1lkm8n..!?!?!? :D

Please let it be true lol..!!! :D

How do you guys get this information..? Where should I be looking for this, as there's so many bloody parts to this forum I get confused sometimes lol... ;)

It was in one of the sitreps. I'll try to search for it tomorrow. Neoarmageddon actually was the one who pointed it out.

Please do man, as I have tried looking for it and can't see it anywhere..?!

I really hope this is true, as it'd have so many positive implications for hugeeeee structures..! :)

Mesh I can't find the darn thing. But it said

*Added- Support for larger than 50m objects

Atsche. I'm thoroughly confused by those pictures you posted lol. Did it work good or not. I haven't tested one myself as of yet

Hey, cheers for all this lads..!

Well, it appears to be a none issue now upto 120 meters per object is that correct..?

All's I'm asking for is because I have planned HUGE wall parts and really big buildings lol..!!!

I didn't like the prospect of having to build them in "parts", as it's more time consuming and fiddly, but if we can now say it's pretty safe to create objects upto 100 meters dimensions then that's a pretty good result..! :D

Hey, cheers for all this lads..!

Well, it appears to be a none issue now upto 120 meters per object is that correct..?

No, 120 meters makes problems! like i said, it starts with not showing the map icon and strange behavior when walking ( but i think its some dev build bug like the 100m above ground parachute animation)

But i did only what you asked for (snap and slope), like on my first post you can maby go up to 100m with objs that are not used in combination with slope, snappoints

To be save, dont oversize it, even 60m is big. I did only very rough tests with that.

In the end you should just try it and see how it works ingame with your objs.

What i would be concerned of with such huge structures is the shadow lod draw distance.

Edited by Atsche

Ah ok, so it's more about the SHADOWlods not working, than it becoming messy for AI and GEOLOD/ROADWAYlods etc?

Ah ok, so it's more about the SHADOWlods not working, than it becoming messy for AI and GEOLOD/ROADWAYlods etc?

Shadow and other Lods seems to work even on the 120m test object, but what i mean with concerned is , in my case with older pc, my object shadow drawdistance settings are below 120m in the video settings.

remember tot test the correct problem

Vehicles drive on geometry or Physx in A3 and not Roadway lods This problem is non existent for these types regarding size

the Old problem was a Creature could not stable its footings beyond 25m from an objects centerpoint on a Roadway lod and when viewed from accute angle object would dissapear .

it would be good news if they have indeed fixed it .

I wish one of the Devs would post here- it wouldn't take long to clarify this and expand on it from an official source.

why ultra long walls? just make sections. way better for map making too.

Edited by Fennek

i've read somewhere that height is not a problem. Only length/width.

Thanks man, but I reckon I'll keep all axis inside 50 meters to be safe for now.

Hi guys,

sorry to necro this, but is there now any solid guide about object/LOD dimensions..?

Can we have structures bigger than 50 meters at last or is it still as it was- confused..? I remember hearing somewhere that that 50 meter thing also applied to objects in the way that if you rotated them on their central axis and any part of it stuck outside the imaginary 50 meters limit that was also a problem?

Any updates I've missed about this? I'm just not comfortable with having to chop up all my objects, as that means each "chopped" part will need its own set of resLODS which multiplies the workload so much..!!!

Anyone pleae guys? I can't find any updated info about this, but read here that it could have been?