Sign in to follow this  
wasserkool

Large Number of AI and heavy firefight, physic simulation and game engine limitation?

or drop some money on a high-end overclocked processor.

lol, he's already got a $1000 CPU (i7-3970x)

500m View distance makes me run this game on MAX settings with 40+ FPS.....feels very stupid that Bohemia even included a option to increase it to 12000meters

Actually as a pilot, I use 12,000 view distance quite often. I run everything at high/very high, with all Post process effects/antialiasing turned off. I use TAW view distance so I can also turn off all the grass. From the sky, where the LOD of the terrain is lower, the FPS is actually quite decent (~35, peaking at 40 and only dropping as low as around 28).

Back on topic, you might consider spawning in ai only when you need to. I do this often especially for missions I want to be played indefinitely. For example, I have a mission build around Peral's A-10 mod. I created all my separate "fire missions" (different groups of targets, i.e. an airfield, an occupied town, a convoy, etc. Once I had quite a few of these (resulting in many, many AI and quite a performance hit), I created a script file for each one. For instance, I went to my airfield mission, placed a marker at the location of each unit or at the head of each group (if in one). I then went into my airbase.sqf file, where I used the BIS_fnc_spawnUnit and BIS_fnc_spawnGroup functions to place all of the units back in. Now, my players can select a mission from base (using the strategic map, addaction, etc) and only a portion of the AI are spawned at a time, greatly reducing strain on the computer. All you have to do is use the allDead command to create a script that cleans up once each mission is completed, and you're done. Your mission can be played indefinitely.

Are you hosting both the dedicated server and playing the game on the same box?

Your PC has got 6 cores. Running the dedi server on it alongside your client is not going to degrade performance, the dedi server will be using spare cores.

Your PC has got 6 cores. Running the dedi server on it alongside your client is not going to degrade performance, the dedi server will be using spare cores.

I understand, but I have a spare i7 980X box so as an experiment, I am running the dedicated server on that box to maximize the performance on both the client and server.

Hmm, i run everyone on standard and it looks the same as if i run it on Ultra or High, with a few exceptions. My Cloud, and Dynamic lighting are Always on ultra. Everything else is Standard. This way, i can play with 12,000 View distance. Its better if you want to feel like Altis or, any other map, is an actual terrain without that circle of fog keeping you from seeing the Horizon. Also i fly alot, so its nice to see everything at once.

I and others want more AI because of the expansive map and unlimited freedom for movement! That is the whole point of the game to simulate large scale war as accurately as possible. I hope the dedicated server route will be improve things!

Much units spead around the map without decreasing performance is (quite) possible but is a question that belongs in mission editing.

A large amount of units in the same firefight close to a player isn't really possible to improve, except by turning off everything (scripts, mods, viewdistance, ..) that isn't absolutely necessary to leave more room for the AI/physics calculations.

Big ignorant joke he......

Since Arma 3, it is only a Sandbox Game.xD Opf & Arma1+2 was praised as BAd truth =Game(ENGINE )can't handle Large Scale Battles

It can, using technique such as spawning units via trigger, disable units simulation and etc.

For MP, Headless Client could support up to the scale of hundred AI without overloading the server FPS.

Edited by Vegatry