@lordprimate

About the group merging system, you have pretty much summed up how the current system works :) With some minor differences.

I only check faction and make sure it's same, IMO mixing spec ops with regulars after they took casualties is fine. Points 4 and 6 I like. The rest is already in.

On player broadcasting info to near friendlies, can be done, either automatic or on reveal key.

Hi, @Robalo.

Great job you did with AI, thanks.

I get an error when the enemy gets in the danger mod:

(this, _dangercausedby] call
Error undefined variable in expresion: _asr_ai_main_stoptoshot

I'm in dev-branch, It appears every time you shoot toward AI.

Hi, @Robalo.

Great job you did with AI, thanks.

I get an error when the enemy gets in the danger mod:

(this, _dangercausedby] call
Error undefined variable in expresion: _asr_ai_main_stoptoshot

I'm in dev-branch, It appears every time you shoot toward AI.

Is that an exact error message copy pasted or written from memory ? Because that variable looks incorrect. Make sure you have CBA active.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I solved; problem was that I was using an old version of CBA. :huh:

What is the point of the RHS extra addons, what difference will I see if I use them as well? And is it possible to get them as script-versions so I dont have to add even more dependencies?

Nice addition, looking forward to the next update.

I get this error when I shoot enemies with static weapons:

`...le ["asr_nolegs", time];
_unit spawn[
|#|while (!isNil {_this getvariable "asr_no...`
Error while: Type Bool, expected code
File x\asr_ai3\addons\main\fnc_handlehit.sqf, line 28

Nice addition, looking forward to the next update.

I get this error when I shoot enemies with static weapons:

`...le ["asr_nolegs", time];
_unit spawn[
|#|while (!isNil {_this getvariable "asr_no...`
Error while: Type Bool, expected code
File x\asr_ai3\addons\main\fnc_handlehit.sqf, line 28

yeah, stupid syntax mistake, already fixed for next version

• Like 2

Also the cookoff thing is coming ? :)
ACE just released the version I couldn't test it yet. They wrote when vehicle cooks off they give command to crew to move 100 meter away. I am not sure if ASR AI3 will block that command and let crew to prone to take cover though

• Like 1

I've used ASR AI on and off for quite a few years now. I've read through this thread and seen the issue mentioned where AI abandon their positions and move to a nearby combat area. I've seen a few settings mentioned, such as limiting the radio range (which I did) but it seems that if troops are in position within hearing range of gunfire that they will always abandon their positions and move to contact. I'm currently replaying the A3 port of the Pirog campaign. In the first mission, the first objective is to capture an airfield. The second objective is to assault a hill about 600 meters from the airfield. When I get to the hill, it is abandoned except for an armed and occupied UAZ that I believe spawned in after crossing a trigger point. All of the other defenders have abandoned their positions and joined in the fray at the airfield. I've also noticed enemy groups coming in from different directions that appear to be doing the same thing. It makes for an exciting and protracted battle for the airfield but other objectives can then be completed by just traveling to those positions and possibly engaging in light combat. Is there a way to force those troops to stay in their defensive positions without editing the mission?

• Like 2

I've used ASR AI on and off for quite a few years now. I've read through this thread and seen the issue mentioned where AI abandon their positions and move to a nearby combat area. I've seen a few settings mentioned, such as limiting the radio range (which I did) but it seems that if troops are in position within hearing range of gunfire that they will always abandon their positions and move to contact. I'm currently replaying the A3 port of the Pirog campaign. In the first mission, the first objective is to capture an airfield. The second objective is to assault a hill about 600 meters from the airfield. When I get to the hill, it is abandoned except for an armed and occupied UAZ that I believe spawned in after crossing a trigger point. All of the other defenders have abandoned their positions and joined in the fray at the airfield. I've also noticed enemy groups coming in from different directions that appear to be doing the same thing. It makes for an exciting and protracted battle for the airfield but other objectives can then be completed by just traveling to those positions and possibly engaging in light combat. Is there a way to force those troops to stay in their defensive positions without editing the mission?

That's the effect of the enhanced awareness. On one hand it's an advantage because it looks weird in vanilla for units relatively close to a firefight going on to simply ignore it. On the other hand stuff like you mention can happen.

This should be handled in the mission making, like if you place some units inside a base, don't just drop them in there, but give them some waypoints. The mod aims to enhance missions where a quick design approach was taken like you just define a zone and spawn some units in it and at the same time tries to avoid breaking complex missions where more elaborate design was made.

That said, new version is coming and one of the things you may notice is I tried to balance this a bit better, awareness versus drawing too many units to the action. Most important change is squad movement from point A to point B is happening a lot faster. Full changelog for version 1.0.0 already posted but while I was writing it an getting ready to release I caught a few minor bugs and them I had an new idea which I started to develop on. Here's a hint:

23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.63 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:4, type: B_Soldier_GL_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam, vest: V_PlateCarrierGL_rgr, ruck: , baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.333333, camoFinal: 0.666667"
23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.63 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:5, type: B_soldier_LAT_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam, vest: V_PlateCarrier2_rgr, ruck: B_AssaultPack_rgr_LAT, baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.55, camoFinal: 1.1"
23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.63 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:6, type: B_Soldier_TL_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam_vest, vest: V_PlateCarrierGL_rgr, ruck: , baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.333333, camoFinal: 0.666667"
23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.63 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:7, type: B_soldier_AR_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam_tshirt, vest: V_PlateCarrier2_rgr, ruck: , baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.366667, camoFinal: 0.733333"
23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.64 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:8, type: B_Soldier_GL_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam, vest: V_PlateCarrierGL_rgr, ruck: , baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.333333, camoFinal: 0.666667"
23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.64 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:9, type: B_Soldier_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam, vest: V_PlateCarrier1_rgr, ruck: , baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.333333, camoFinal: 0.666667"
23:23:21 "ASR AI3: 6923.64 | Unit B Alpha 1-1:10, type: B_medic_F, uniform: U_B_CombatUniform_mcam_tshirt, vest: V_PlateCarrierSpec_rgr, ruck: B_AssaultPack_rgr_Medic, baseCamo: 2, camoCoef: 0.575, camoFinal: 1.15"
  • Like 3

Camouflage! Great idea.  :)

But... what if a unit is wearing woodland camo in the middle of the desert? 

Camouflage! Great idea.  :)

But... what if a unit is wearing woodland camo in the middle of the desert? 

Right. But for starters, even a simpler model is better than the default BIS one where camo is hardcoded per unit class. With this mod camo will be dynamically calculated on the fly based on the stuff unit is actualy wearing.

Want to become harder to spot ? Drop that big rucksack. Select your camoed gear carefully. Go full ghillied up. Won't matter what class your character was initially. Night op ? dress in black. We'll see how this develops.

Will require quite a bit of work to apply on mods since every uniform, vest and backpack will need camo configs but it will again be a matter of fine-tuning.

Would love to see this go obsolete and BIS to put camouflage values into the gear items themselves where it would make sense, like they did with armor protection.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response, Robalo. I'll probably just have to be more aware of what missions I'm using ASR AI with and enable or disable it accordingly. I'm looking forward to the upcoming release.

Would it be possible to add functionality that will force the AI to pick up AT weapons if there are any present and no one in the AI squad has any AT?

• Like 2

Would it be possible to add functionality that will force the AI to pick up AT weapons if there are any present and no one in the AI squad has any AT?

Last time I checked the takeweapon action was broken. Would have been easy to implement otherwise. I'll give it another shot sometime.

Q: Should I install this mod on servers, clients, both ? What about headless clients ?

A: Always install it on servers and headless clients. Having it installed on clients is required if you are running AI groups commanded by clients, use Zeus or if you want to log in to change server settings. I generally recommend having it installed everywhere.

Can I just get some clarification on this. Does this mean that as long as the server isn't running headless clients or have AI commanded by clients on it, ASR will function properly when installed on just the server without the need for players to install it as a mod on their client? It's just we have 2 servers, the first has both the sever and players running the mod and the second has just the server running ASR and we're not sure if it is working because the AI in the mission are set  to high skill and there is a lot of them. Sometimes it's looks like we're seeing ASR working and sometimes it doesn't. I understand you ''generally recommend it'', but is it essential as we'd like to keep the second server as vanilla as possible without the need for players to install any mods. Cake and eat it, type of thing.

Does anybody have a config file that's tweaked to make the AI more accurate? If so, would you be willing to share? I've been looking at this file and I just don't know what to change. I'm about to do a couple trial and error runs, but if somebody could help me out that would be great!

this is what I usw

[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[1.00,0.0],    "spotting",[1.00,0.0]   ],  // 0:  super-AI (only used for testing)
[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[0.85,0.1],    "spotting",[0.80,0.0]   ],  // 1:  sf 1
[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[0.80,0.2],    "spotting",[0.75,0.0]   ],  // 2:  sf 2 (recon units, divers and spotters)
[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[0.75,0.3],    "spotting",[0.70,0.1]   ],  // 3:  regular 1 (regular army leaders, marksmen)
[   "general",[0.90,0.1],   "aiming",[0.70,0.2],    "spotting",[0.65,0.1]   ],  // 4:  regular 2 (regulars)
[   "general",[0.80,0.1],   "aiming",[0.65,0.1],    "spotting",[0.65,0.1]   ],  // 5:  militia or trained insurgents, former regulars (insurgent leaders, marksmen)
[   "general",[0.70,0.2],   "aiming",[0.60,0.1],    "spotting",[0.60,0.1]   ],  // 6:  some military training (insurgents)
[   "general",[0.60,0.1],   "aiming",[0.50,0.2],    "spotting",[0.55,0.2]   ],  // 7:  no military training
[   "general",[0.90,0.1],   "aiming",[0.95,0.2],    "spotting",[0.95,0.1]   ],  // 8:  pilot 1 (regular)
[   "general",[0.80,0.1],   "aiming",[0.80,0.2],    "spotting",[0.80,0.1]   ],  // 9:  pilot 2 (insurgent)
[   "general",[0.90,0.1],   "aiming",[0.90,0.3],    "spotting",[0.90,0.1]   ]   // 10: sniper 
  • Like 1

this is what I usw

[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[1.00,0.0],    "spotting",[1.00,0.0]   ],  // 0:  super-AI (only used for testing)
[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[0.85,0.1],    "spotting",[0.80,0.0]   ],  // 1:  sf 1
[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[0.80,0.2],    "spotting",[0.75,0.0]   ],  // 2:  sf 2 (recon units, divers and spotters)
[   "general",[1.00,0.0],   "aiming",[0.75,0.3],    "spotting",[0.70,0.1]   ],  // 3:  regular 1 (regular army leaders, marksmen)
[   "general",[0.90,0.1],   "aiming",[0.70,0.2],    "spotting",[0.65,0.1]   ],  // 4:  regular 2 (regulars)
[   "general",[0.80,0.1],   "aiming",[0.65,0.1],    "spotting",[0.65,0.1]   ],  // 5:  militia or trained insurgents, former regulars (insurgent leaders, marksmen)
[   "general",[0.70,0.2],   "aiming",[0.60,0.1],    "spotting",[0.60,0.1]   ],  // 6:  some military training (insurgents)
[   "general",[0.60,0.1],   "aiming",[0.50,0.2],    "spotting",[0.55,0.2]   ],  // 7:  no military training
[   "general",[0.90,0.1],   "aiming",[0.95,0.2],    "spotting",[0.95,0.1]   ],  // 8:  pilot 1 (regular)
[   "general",[0.80,0.1],   "aiming",[0.80,0.2],    "spotting",[0.80,0.1]   ],  // 9:  pilot 2 (insurgent)
[   "general",[0.90,0.1],   "aiming",[0.90,0.3],    "spotting",[0.90,0.1]   ]   // 10: sniper 

I\ll give it a shot, thanks!

Does this mean that as long as the server isn't running headless clients or have AI commanded by clients on it, ASR will function properly when installed on just the server without the need for players to install it as a mod on their client?

Yes.

Does anybody have a config file that's tweaked to make the AI more accurate? If so, would you be willing to share? I've been looking at this file and I just don't know what to change. I'm about to do a couple trial and error runs, but if somebody could help me out that would be great!

Easier to just increase precision in difficulty settings.

Yes.

Nice, thanks for the reply and good luck with the mod.

After 3 years I think it's time for ASR AI3 v1.0.0 :)

Changes

[config]
- (new) updated green recon units (sof groups for green army)
- (new) remove reporting of "unknown contact"
- (new) full auto bursts can be interrupted (requires 1.66+)
- (new) custom camouflage coefficients added for uniform, vest and backpacks
- (mod) per unit camouflage values set to a unique base value on which the dynamic camo coef will be applied
- (mod) ammo config tweaked so shots are heard at longer distances
- (mod) reworked handheld automatic weapons shooting - slightly shorter bursts but increased intensity
- (mod) increase AI rate of fire for single shots
- (mod) reduce chance of switching to handguns
[scripting]
- (new) camouflage depends on actual items soldiers are wearing (uniform, vest and backpack)
- (new) can set team to hold fire until I (or another when forced to) shoot with configurable keybind
- (new) units inside vehicles can report contacts to near groups too
- (new) vehicle gunners may keep manning their weapons even after their vehicle was immobilized
- (rem) removed scripted shot detection for performance reasons in favor of config level detection
- (rem) removed loners joining other groups
- (rem) removed limping units dismissed from their group
- (mod) spend less time stationary while shooting
- (mod) removed AI teammate speed limiting (potential cause for them getting stuck in place)
- (mod) vehicles with ammo cookoff not good for cover (ACE)
- (mod) added a few more falling animations (credit: tpw)
- (mod) suppression effect for AI when taking hits so they no longer shoot back so accurately
- (mod) units caught in the open may throw smoke in panic
- (mod) improve units following/regrouping on leader after moving to cover
- (mod) prevent units from same side occupying same house position at a time
- (mod) re-equip nvg earlier (no longer wait till completely dark)
- (mod) medic check uses getUnitTrait
- (mod) a great deal of code optimisation
[settings]
- (new) debug dynamic camouflage into RPT
- (mod) default radioing range extended to 700m
- (mod) allow up to 10 minute delays on radio reporting
- (mod) tweaked default skills in userconfig; meant for regular difficulty (skill 0.7, precision 0.5)

Note: FAQ entry #1 has been updated: this mod should be run everywhere for it to work 100% as designed.

Also updated configs for RHS and BWA3 in first post.

Enjoy !

• Like 18

Thanx Robaldo for the continued support and updates for this great AI modification.  :shine: