Sign in to follow this  
Cyper

Improving damage models

First off, this is not a topic about damage from bullets or dismemberment.

I want to speak about simple damage models.

As it is now, all types of damage seems to trigger the same damage model. There seems to be no difference from falling or being shot.

A few distinct damage models that could be considered is:

Damage from fall

Damage from fire

Damage from hand-held weapons

Damage from .50 CAL

Damage from grenades

Damage from explosions

What would be interesting to see is a distinct damage model of each of these categories.

What do you think?

do you mean different damage model as in the result of the damage, or the actual damage value? I agree that the damage models could use some tweaking, but my ideas are based around having some damage be based on shock/stun. For example, walking through fire will injure you, but not knock you out or throw you down. Falling, on the other hand, would damage you somewhat (maybe break/sprain legs/ankles), but would also knock the wind out of you or throw you to the ground ("temporary" damage, if you will). Getting shot would be more damage and some stun, and explosions would be lots of shock and moderate damage (depends on the distance). I just think there needs to be an additional variable to make getting injured more complicated than just using a FAK and being mostly better.

Just my thoughts.

-the_Demongod

p.s. I see you're from Umeå, hail Meshuggah!

They are done/finished with improving the game, they hide behind "engine limitation" bullshit. The people at Bohemia are used to console with the 30FPS limit and thinks everything above 30FPS is totaly useless and not needed at all.

Bohemia are now focusing on making the game like the old Black and White game, Zeus is the first stop.

This is a game where its based on HP system. Emptying a full magazine of assault rifle on a leg wouldn't kill one in real life. There would be only pain and shock but in ArmA you can get killed by getting shot at hands or feet. I would play only ArmA above all FPS if they could just implement body parts system.

This is a game where its based on HP system. Emptying a full magazine of assault rifle on a leg wouldn't kill one in real life. There would be only pain and shock but in ArmA you can get killed by getting shot at hands or feet. I would play only ArmA above all FPS if they could just implement body parts system.

And people keep telling me that ARMA is so realistic...

And people keep telling me that ARMA is so realistic...

Two posts into this thread and you already sound incredibly bitter. I reccomend having some substance to your posts as opposed to simply ranting about BIS making the game 'wrong'.

OP, I agree it would be interesting, but I imagine that it would get complicated quite quickly when multiple damage types are affecting the same player, such as being grenaded and then shot for very little in-game purpose unless you're inspecting bodies very closely. I'd personally be quite happy with the damage model only appearing on areas corersponding to the damage suffered if we were to expand the current set, as a nice visualisation of what kind of damage you've taken.

This is, of course, ignoring the vital arteries that run through the legs and the fact that people can die of shock, yes? If it makes you feel better, imagine 'death' as passing out from the immense pain and bleeding out over the next few seconds. Regardless, the person who took that injury should be out of action for the remainder of their lives. If we're getting technical, people in reality survive headshots, as there is no scale of 'a human can survive this exactly'. Everyone is different, some can die from a single bulletwound, others can take multiple and survive the ordeal. I don't fancy toting 'realism' and then having a game where we can patch ourselves up in the scale of seconds or even minutes when such injuries last a lifetime.

Long and short of it is, there's no simple answer. Either pretend it's realistic to take 30 shots to the arm, survive to get patched on and continue playing, or take 30 shots to the arm and die to complain about how you shouldn't be dead. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You have no idea what you were saying.

Majority of preventable deaths on the battlefield were result from limb injury. Over 2,500 US military personals died from extremity hemorrhage alone in Vietnam.

"Emptying a full magazine of assault rifle on a leg" would complete shatter a limb or simply amputate it, which can easily be fatal in a minute or two without treatment.

Even femur fracture can kill you, single femur fracture could cause at least 1L of internal bleeding, which might deteriorating into shock later.

Edited by Lugiahua