batto

Ukraine General

What's up with Vice News reporter Simon Ostrovski, has he been released?

Last news was that he was still held by the militiamen (it was yesterday IIRC).

What telling Putins propoganda.

OSCE is concerned about the level of security of journalists in the East of Ukraine.

(ITAR-TASS) http://itar-tass.com/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1139961

According to the OSCE, on April 22, the reporter of the edition Vice News Simon Ostrovsky was seized by unknown persons in Slavyansk. on April 21 the correspondent of the journal "Current support" Maxim Danilchenko were attacked, some of their colleagues were detained by unidentified men in military uniform, but later released.

Militia in Slavyansk can exchange journalists from the United States to "people's Governor" Gubarev.

(News RU) http://www.newsru.com/world/24apr2014/gubarev.html

Supporters of federalization in Slavyansk, Donetsk region are going to hold the detainee in the days of American journalist Simon Ostrovsky before completing the check of his documents and studying version of his alleged cooperation with the radical movement "Right branch".
After that, the journalist - or let go, allowing them to operate in the rebellious city next, or will exchange on some of the protesters in Eastern Ukraine. For example, on the self-appointed Governor of Donetsk oblast Paul Gubareva, said Vyacheslav Ponomarev.

Militias in Slavyansk want to exchange a journalist from the United States on Gubarev.

(RIA News) http://ria.ru/world/20140424/1005236867.html

Ponomarev said that the militias now have ten "prisoners", including Kiev journalist Irma Krat and Deputy of the local city Council Vadim Swan Goose.
"We suspect the Simon Ostrov as informant Right sector," said Ponomarev. According to him, militia seemed suspicious presence in Ostrovsky pockets American and Israeli passports, as well as excellent knowledge of the Russian language and "provocative" questions that he asked local residents and militiamen.

P.S. I hope everybody remember how Simon was working in Crimea? Does KGB or Putin jailed him? Or didn't give him a chance to work in Crimea and freedom to move? So please make a difference.

P.S. I hope everybody remember how Simon was working in Crimea? Does KGB or Putin jailed him? Or didn't give him a chance to work in Crimea and freedom to move? So please make a difference.

True, but that's because Crimea was controlled by regular Russian soldiers - even if somehow "hidden" -, while in eastern Ukraine, the rulers are those irregulars militiamen and adventurers.

True, but that's because Crimea was controlled by regular Russian soldiers - even if somehow "hidden" -, while in eastern Ukraine, the rulers are those irregulars militiamen and adventurers.

Agree, in Crimea the Russian Army did a more or less clean invasion, that can't be doubted ( that shown great discipline and constrain ). Although I'm afraid the situation is different.

But Eastern Ukraine is not as openly Pro-Russian as Crimea, that's why IMO Putin hasn't sent the Army directly, but directly or indirectly ( that still has to be proven ) he is fueling the insurrection with support messages and with a State Owned media ( again Is good to remember that RT was founded by the public entity RIA Novosti ).

The problem of supporting violent groups, is that you can't control them ( remember the Taliban and the CIA ), and that kind of dire circumstances happen. That's why I think Ukraine's gov should act against that groups on both sides.

Agree, in Crimea the Russian Army did a more or less clean invasion, that can't be doubted ( that shown great discipline and constrain ). Although I'm afraid the situation is different.

But Eastern Ukraine is not as openly Pro-Russian as Crimea, that's why IMO Putin hasn't sent the Army directly, but directly or indirectly ( that still has to be proven ) he is fueling the insurrection with support messages and with a State Owned media ( again Is good to remember that RT was founded by the public entity RIA Novosti ).

The problem of supporting violent groups, is that you can't control them ( remember the Taliban and the CIA ), and that kind of dire circumstances happen. That's why I think Ukraine's gov should act against that groups on both sides.

I never hear from Lavrov or Putin or another Kremlin guys any support to that militias. They are speaking always about civilians. And Geneve. Putin now in trap. If Kiev continiue to engage east - everybody will say - hey he is not helping to Russian people. If he moves to defend them (civilians, not militia), everybody will say - hey Rusky envade Ukraine, stop the agressor. Thats why i think Kremlin keep silence, they think what to do with that idiots. Most of them (i mean the militia command) is adventures and some of them like Babay run from Russian police.

Head of the Odessa (Ukraine) police demanded to remove Kievs armed activists from the city.

(Local Odessa press)http://infoodessa.com/index.php/entry/nachalnik-odesskoj-militsii-potreboval-ubrat-iz-goroda-vooruzhennykh-aktivistov-iz-kieva.html

Radicals break windows of the cars, beat up people, and extort money from them
According to the head of the regional Department of the Ministry of internal Affairs of Odessa Peter Luzuk, Kiev armed activists of the radical public organizations destabilize the situation in the region. Luzuk stated this today, speaking at the session of the regional Council.

"Due to the fact, that in Kiev there were a large number of people who have stayed without care, it was decided to send these units in Odessa. We don't need that. They came and create an unstable situation," said Luzuk. According to him, these people have settled in the area 12 checkpoints, which are on duty in shifts over 500 people.

Last week police found in Odessa warehouse with weapons, which belongs to the radical nationalist organization "Right sector". It was ammunition, guns, batons, bottles with incendiary mixture, firecrackers.

Edited by ArtTem

" The main thing now is not to take a chance the Reichstag ." Written on one of the Russian forums, after the annexation of the Crimea .

Why do you think that Putin was trapped and afraid led forces in Ukraine.

His party is the legitimately elected president of Ukraine . At this point in the country a coup d'etat. And the junta begins to massacres of civilians who do not recognize the new "government" .

Legitimately elected president of Ukraine asks for help from zakonnoizbrannogo Russian president to restore constitutional order in the country.

After that Russian troops within 2-3 days unopposed demoralized and poorly equipped army prepared Ukraine consists in Kiev .

NATO does not have time to react to events occurring . And Europe can only drive a new toothless sanctions against Russia.

In the U.S., the Pentagon and Lockheed asking Congress not naryagat situation with Russia because suffer important projects .

ps you thought RF kneeling ? And we just laced boots. Thank you for 20 years of lessons on foreign policy. We well understand how to make a game .

" The main thing now is not to take a chance the Reichstag ." Written on one of the Russian forums, after the annexation of the Crimea .

Why do you think that Putin was trapped and afraid led forces in Ukraine.

His party is the legitimately elected president of Ukraine . At this point in the country a coup d'etat. And the junta begins to massacres of civilians who do not recognize the new "government" .

Legitimately elected president of Ukraine asks for help from zakonnoizbrannogo Russian president to restore constitutional order in the country.

After that Russian troops within 2-3 days unopposed demoralized and poorly equipped army prepared Ukraine consists in Kiev .

NATO does not have time to react to events occurring . And Europe can only drive a new toothless sanctions against Russia.

In the U.S., the Pentagon and Lockheed asking Congress not naryagat situation with Russia because suffer important projects .

ps you thought RF kneeling ? And we just laced boots. Thank you for 20 years of lessons on foreign policy. We well understand how to make a game .

Just remarks.

1. Putin is trapped. Because guys from East militia made to him "bear assistance". Please learn situation deeper and you'll find answers.

2. Junta now massacres only militia. But yes they can start using heavy weapons and many civils will die. And it's a trap. (read my previous post about variants)

3. Boeing, not Lockheed. I guess you are speaking about titanium parts for Boeing 737, 777, 787 wich produces only in Russia.

Russia on knees? Are you kidding? We are standing strong on our feets for 14 years. Please stop that patriotic rush. :)

Edited by ArtTem

You understand what he's written? Seriously, what is "zakonnoizbrannogo"?

Pro tip exe, if you have to use Google translate, don't bother.

From the Guardian live:

Breaking: hostage @SimonOstrovsky is free and safe. He is with us in CBC car en route to Donetsk @CBCNews @CBCAlerts pic.twitter.com/9uSyr81zDD

— J-Francois Belanger (@belangerjf) April 24, 2014

1. Putin is trapped. Because guys from East militia made to him "bear assistance". Please learn situation deeper and you'll find answers.

2. Junta now massacres only militia. But yes they can start using heavy weapons and many civils will die. And it's a trap. (read my previous post about variants)

3. Boeing, not Lockheed. I guess you are speaking about titanium parts for Boeing 737, 777, 787 wich produces only in Russia.

Russia on knees? Are you kidding? We are standing strong on our feets for 14 years. Please stop that patriotic rush. :)

I kind of agree with you in that Putin now may be trapped, but he provoked the situation ( with or without intentionality ). Basically when he said that Russia must protect all ethnic Russians ( already in Georgia ), something only heard in preWW2 NSDAP speeches or in Serbia and other extreme nationalist countries. Also annexing Crimea, which was an abuse and crime by all means.

I wouldn't use the word Junta for Kiev's gov, and I don't get why the Russian media uses. It means the high command of the Armed forces in spanish ( junta militar ), usually used when that military high command takes the power in a coup and rules. But no one in the Kiev's gov is part of the Ukrainian military.

I also agree with you in that now Russia is now stronger than in the last 30 years at least ( although not much complicated having in mind the level of former politicians like Yelsin... )

Edited by MistyRonin

I wouldn't use the word Junta for Kiev's gov, and I don't get why the Russian media uses. It means the high command of the Armed forces in spanish ( junta militar ), usually used when that military high command takes the power in a coup and rules. But no one in the Kiev's gov is part of the Ukrainian military.

Yes, in fact it means the power of a few people over the country : Russian medias use it to underline that the actuel Kiev gov wasn't elected, and doesn't represent the (whole) Ukrainian people.

From the Guardian live:

I kind of agree with you in that Putin now maybe trapped, but he provoked the situation ( with or without intentionality ).

I also agree with you in that now Russia is now stronger than in the last 30 years at least ( although not much complicated having in mind the level of former politicians like Yelsin... )

I know the roots of word Junta. Thank you Misty. But it's my vision. And vision of mine president. Anyway i'll try to avoid usage of that word too often. Ok?

P.S. Yelsin, don't speak about Yelsin. He is not worth to talk about him. Just photo as a food for your mind. (sry for OT)

BkyikWgCIAASPQW.jpg:large

From left:

Free Ichkeria (Chechnya) general and center of sabotage operations commander Zakaev Akhmed. (run to London)

Berezovsky. (run to London)

Nikita Chekulin, director of "RosVzrivConversCenter" the center of recycling the explosives. (Different shells, including content of RDX)

converted_23478.jpg

From left:

Alexander Litvinenko, ex KGB officer. (run to London)

Nikita Chekulin, director of "RosVzrivConversCenter" the center of recycling the explosives. (run to London, but back some time ago, "informal forgiveness for information")

So Yelsin and his team in Kremlin is an "heart pain" for any rationally thinking person in Russia. :-/

Edited by ArtTem

Re the current government in Ukraine: Though not democratically elected, it is a legitimate one. It is an interim government, approved by the democratically elected Ukrainian parliament, to head the country until it can be replaced by a democratically elected government.

I.e. a whole lot more democratic than e.g. the "government" in Crimea, that consists mostly of people who had gotten the notion that they could fire democratically elected politicians, take their places, and call themselves democratic.

Recorded before he was "invited" to stay with the seperatists for a few days

After seeing that bullet hole on the car (@1:57) I believe that it was shot directly from the side in a +- 90 degree angle. Even more interesting is the fact that it looks as if it was shot after it has burned, evident by the fact that the blisters around the hole have been broken away by the sudden application of force to the metal. The whole thing has just become more suspicious.

Recorded before he was "invited" to stay with the seperatists for a few days

After seeing that bullet hole on the car (@1:57) I believe that it was shot directly from the side in a +- 90 degree angle. Even more interesting is the fact that it looks as if it was shot after it has burned, evident by the fact that the blisters around the hole have been broken away by the sudden application of force to the metal. The whole thing has just become more suspicious.

So, when gunfight began. They was leaving a car through the windows? Hmmm. Interesting version.

http://i.imgur.com/taJIeFy.png (850 kB)

Whats wrong with the bullet hole? When bullet penetrated the door the paint flew away. Car was burning from inside. Therefore only high temperature affected to the paint. But not the fire. And metal have a blue color. It means it was overtemper. Or how it to say...

Anyway it's a strange hole. (absolutely ok for chaotic gunfight) But for show. Why only one? Why in the near part of the door?

Edited by ArtTem

The thing wrong with the hole:

You can see that the paint blistered, basically started to cook because of the high temperature.

The area around the hole (not the part where the paint is completely broken away but around that where it is still visibly bend by the force) has cracked and blown off blisters. Wich means that blisters were created by the high temperatures and then cracked open/blown away due to the metal rapidly beeing deformed. That tells me that this whole was made after the car was set on fire. But the guys claimed that the cars were torched in the morning, long after the firefight... And remember that all holes are on the sides of the cars, you would expect some in the front too, considering that the firefight happened with guys at the roadblock in front of them.

The thing wrong with the hole:

You can see that the paint blistered, basically started to cook because of the high temperature.

The area around the hole (not the part where the paint is completely broken away but around that where it is still visibly bend by the force) has cracked and blown off blisters. Wich means that blisters were created by the high temperatures and then cracked open/blown away due to the metal rapidly beeing deformed. That tells me that this whole was made after the car was set on fire. But the guys claimed that the cars were torched in the morning, long after the firefight... And remember that all holes are on the sides of the cars, you would expect some in the front too, considering that the firefight happened with guys at the roadblock in front of them.

Understood your point of view. But don't forget. Few days ago i've wrote in the post - i see simply that smdy was trying to atack them from the flank. Because if you wanna to burn the car (anyway you are say goodbye to her). Or let's say you burned it, nothing stops you to make a strainer from it. Or not to shoot in cars at all. But ok. As i said, now i understood your version.

So putin is maneuvering his military on the Ukraine border... The Russian Defense minister said today that: "Ukraines war machine has forces Russia to react"

The Media says that its the same thing he did before he invaded Crimea...

Lets see how this turns out.

So putin is maneuvering his military on the Ukraine border... The Russian Defense minister said today that: "Ukraines war machine has forces Russia to react"

The Media says that its the same thing he did before he invaded Crimea...

Is quite typical to hide war preparations as military exercises, but said that could be just a "warning" or "just" a move to increase tension.

But it's my vision. And vision of mine president.

I understand and respect them.

- - -

It may be a bit cheesy but:

( Vice News ) The Best of Simon Ostrovsky's Reporting for VICE News (So Far)

Edited by MistyRonin

Seems like the situation in one photo :icon_exclaim:

1533833_2182853278436578_2730532563478910110_n.jpg

Not directly related, but somehow important to see the nature of some of the characters:

( The Guardian ) Putin calls internet a 'CIA project' renewing fears of web breakup

Vladimir Putin gave his clearest signal yet that he aims to break up the global nature of the internet when he branded the network a "CIA project" on Thursday.

The Russian president told a media conference in St Petersburg that America's overseas espionage agency had originally set up the internet and was continuing to develop it.

Putin has long hinted that he wants a Russian-run alternative. The idea of breaking up the internet has gained ground in Germany, Brazil and elsewhere round the world in the light of the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the extent to which the US National Security Agency has infiltrated Facebook, Skype and other social media.

- - -

( The Moscow Times ) Kidnapped U.S. Reporter Released in Ukraine

American reporter Simon Ostrovsky was released Thursday by pro-Russian separatists and is "free and safe," Jean-Francois Belanger, a CBC correspondent, wrote on his Twitter account.

Belanger posted a picture of Ostrovsky talking on his phone at the roadside and said that the journalist, who was taken hostage by separatists in the eastern Ukrainian city of Slovyansk Monday night, was heading to Donetsk in a CBC car.

The details of Ostrovsky's release were not immediately apparent. Belanger posted that Ostrovsky, a former Moscow Times reporter who has been filing a series of video reports from Ukraine for Vice News, said " he was beaten, blindfolded and hands tied" at first, but then treated well.

Self-proclaimed "people's mayor" of Slovyansk Vyacheslav Ponomaryov had said earlier that Ostrovsky was being held as a "bargaining chip," adding that separatist forces "need prisoners" because Ukrainian security forces had captured separatists.

Edited by MistyRonin

"Facebook, Skype and other social media. "

Thats a laugh and a half, they didn't need to infiltrate anything with the amount of information and crap that people load up on social media websites, seriously, these people want privacy but they put EVERYTHING in public.

Belanger posted a picture of Ostrovsky talking on his phone at the roadside and said that the journalist, who was taken hostage by separatists in the eastern Ukrainian city of Slovyansk Monday night, was heading to Donetsk in a CBC car.

Looks like CBC guys think "separatists capital" Donetsk is much safest place to be now in Ukraine. Well, hard to blame them...

Edited by AKM74

Not directly related, but somehow important to see the nature of some of the characters:

( The Guardian ) Putin calls internet a 'CIA project' renewing fears of web breakup

Here it is:

That dialog comes from 25:50.

VIKTOR LEVANOV: My name is Viktor Levanov, and I’m a blogger.

Here is my question: during the developments in Crimea, there were many attacks on Russian websites: sites of TV channels, other media and government organisations. According to experts and to certain data, US special services and the National Security Agency were behind those attacks; they were launched from the territories of the United States, Europe and Ukraine.

It is an open secret that the United States control the Internet. The Patriot Act gives them all the power they need. Now the former agent Edward Snowden has opened our eyes. This Act, adopted 80 years ago, in 1934, still allows the President of the United States to shut down communications on the entire planet with a single resolution. How is this possible?

Take Google. I use Google, for instance, all of its services. I am certain that many government officials and major politicians use Google.

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Use Yandex. (Smiling)

VIKTOR LEVANOV: I will get to Yandex shortly too, I will get to all of them.

We use Google, which collects users’ personal data. And where does it all go? It all goes to servers in the USA. Hence the question: why can’t they build servers here? I do not want my personal data and information about politicians that run my country to go to the United States.

Now over to Yandex, since you mentioned it.

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Let me respond to this part first.

Of course, we can and should do this. The only thing is that it all takes time and capital investment. Meanwhile, everything you said is true, pure and simple, as they say – everything goes through servers located in the United States, everything is monitored there.

You should simply always bear in mind that such is the reality created by the Americans. They are the ones who did it. You know that it all began initially, when the Internet first appeared, as a special CIA project. And this is the way it is developing.

The rest is what has made it to the market and took on huge proportions. Nevertheless, it is initially a military programme, a special programme, and special services are still at the centre of things.

However, I know Yandex, VKontakte and other search engines are trying to develop hardware here, and most importantly, they are also working on software. This is happening, but it takes time and money.

Our companies did not have sufficient resources to invest – now these resources are appearing and the process has begun. I hope it will develop quickly enough and will serve our interests.

VIKTOR LEVANOV: May I ask about Yandex now?

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Yes, go ahead.

VIKTOR LEVANOV: About Yandex: it is good to know that they are developing in Russia and are doing all these things. However, if we speak of the information side of the matter, it is not quite clear what Yandex is: on the one hand we know it as a search engine, where you enter some words and find the information you need; but on the other hand it is a kind of media, because all the time, every day the top five news items Yandex collects from other sources are viewed by millions of people. Meanwhile, Yandex does not have a media license and cannot be held liable under the law as a media outlet because it is a search engine.

I am not suggesting shutting it down or anything. I simply want to know when our Government will begin making decisions to free us of digital aggression. Thank you.

VLADIMIR PUTIN: As for protection of information, our special services are also working on it and are introducing special security systems. Primarily this has to do with classified information of the Defence Ministry, the defence industry, and government agencies, primarily federal ones. Some things are moving forward, while others are not going so well.

From what we have learned from Mr Snowden, the US NSA is very efficient. This is a kind of informational confrontation. It always existed, and now it is acquiring new forms on a new technical basis. We have our own special services who are also working on this.

As for the civil sector in general, we already agreed that servers need to be moved and information has to be closed.

Regarding Yandex, things are not that simple either. I will not say now what they can do and how. However, both the Government and the Presidential Executive Office are now working on this issue – I am sure you know it; it is discussed publicly – defining the term ‘media’.

You are a blogger. I will not express any opinion now so as not to take sides, however if a certain person influences the views of thousands, tens of thousands of people, essentially this blog can also be termed ‘media’. It affects thousands of people, maybe even hundreds of thousands, I don’t know. A talented person can do this. Why not?

In this case, it is definitely a media outlet. The public has to understand this, assess it and make a balanced decision in the democratic way, via State Duma Deputies. For instance, they can first have a public discussion, say organised by the Russian Popular Front, in the Civic Chamber and so forth. Only we have to make sure we do not have any excesses here; we should not impose any bans. We must proceed from reality and act accordingly, the way it is done all over the world.

As for Yandex – I repeat, it is not so simple either. We have to ask them what they can and cannot do. However, when they were starting out, they were forced to have a certain number of Americans and Europeans on their management team, remember? And they had to agree to this. This is why it is a national system.

Part of their registration is also abroad. This is done not only for tax purposes, but for many other reasons as well. This is a complicated area. As I have said, this was all created by the Americans and they want to retain their monopoly. However, they say monopoly is bad; it is only good if it is their own monopoly.

It is impossible in the modern world, but we need to consistently protect our interests. The process is underway and the state will support it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Facebook, Skype and other social media. "

Thats a laugh and a half, they didn't need to infiltrate anything with the amount of information and crap that people load up on social media websites, seriously, these people want privacy but they put EVERYTHING in public.

That dialog and overall speech about that problem was born from the local Russian mem, in few words:

"I'm Krymchanka (Crimea native), the daughter of an officer. I am against the referendum."

That message and variants of that message in dialogs, spamed Russian sector of internet during the Crimea operation.

Example:

%D0%94%D0%BE%D1%87%D1%8C-%D0%BE%D1%84%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B0-%D0%B2%D1%81%D1%8F-%D1%81%D1%83%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D1%85-%D1%81%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%B9-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-1116518.jpeg

From left Nastya, Masha, Valya, Svetlana. :)

big.jpeg

P.S. And i personally have a dialog with the "daughter of Crimea officer" in those time too. :)

P.S.S. Most of them have an IP: 69.39.234.2 (it doesn't proof anything, but funny)

At now all that dialogs looks like:

e7e248c8f63ft.jpg

All messages from that Crimea daugthers deleted.

Edited by ArtTem