Sign in to follow this  
sgtsev3n

proper bulletholes

yes i know there are many other things which has much more priority than new bulletholes (MP optimization, AI, FPS etc...) and i want to see increased FPS, MP optimized and better AI too but we have these strange bulletholes since arma combat operations (dont know in OFP because i never really played it) and with every release of arma, BI improved many visual aspects in each arma but didn´t really taste the bulletholes. in arma 3 we got complete new effects for fire, smoke, water etc which is awesome. why not recreate the bulletholes in arma 3 ?

that are the bulletholes in arma 3, the only bullethole effect which got a LITTLE new look is the ground bullethole (not in screen) and remember: the bullethole is the same on EVERY material which means: if you shoot against metal, it looks like on the screen. if you shoot against wood, trees, vehicles etc... it looks like the same as in the screen on every material.

http://i58.tinypic.com/212s6qw.jpg (176 kB)

why not have proper bulletholes for each material like for example in crysis or half-life 2 and remove that round dark spot what we have now.

why not have bulletholes like this if you shoot against glass ?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/alptraum/alptraum1103/alptraum110300065/9194941-bullet-hole-in-glass-closeup-and-isolated-on-solid-black-actual-gunshot-from-a-44-handgun.jpg (108 kB)

and these if you shoot against metal/vehicles and similar things:

http://www.ghettoredhot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/los-angeles-bullet-hole-mini-van.jpg (116 kB)

and these if you shoot against walls/buildings etc..

_49695582_jex_851599_de28-1.jpg

Would be nice to have but I doubt this would not bring along yet more performance issues. Are the midrange textures solved yet? Oh well

Yeah, the current "bulletholes" are more like a weird little burnmark than an actual hole.

I'm still waiting physX to be enabled. I love how an empty cargo container might as well be a mountain to a tank.

They were pushing physX demos before we went gold where trucks could push stuff around, and suddenly and quietly it got toned down to practically nonexistent.

Then I look at games like "next car game" and scratch my head why even the simplest of physX properties are so lame in Arma. Even the supposed rag doll deaths are half canned. They just fall without taking into account the physics that caused the death. Like death by GBU Explosion, just peacefully falls down. Face palm .

Bottom line, they keep removing features, I wouldn't expect any new ones.

Edited by Dark_Spectre

I'm still waiting physX to be enabled. I love how an empty cargo container might as well be a mountain to a tank.

They were pushing physX demos before we went gold where trucks could push stuff around, and suddenly and quietly it got toned down to practically nonexistent.

Then I look at games like "next car game" and scratch my head why even the simplest of physX properties are so lame in Arma. Even the supposed rag doll deaths are half canned. They just fall without taking into effect the physics that caused the death. Like death by GBU Explosion, just peacefully falls down. Face palm .

Bottom line, they keep removing features, I wouldn't expect any new ones.

Probably, but it isn't really connected to bullet holes, is it ?

I agree would be nice to have some better bullet holes in Arma.

I also Agree with Dark_Spectre about the Physx in Arma3. This could well be one of the most disappointing things for me. Mainly because not only is the physx is no where near what it should be capable of, but it is actually worse than OFP/Arma1//Arma2 etc in some case..particularly tracked vehicles.

Thread cleaned.

Please stay on target people :)

Wrong thread, but this is not true. Cargo containers do very well have physics. Driving a tank into a pile of customly placed cargo containers leads to the same results as were showcased. Try again and tell me I am wrong...

Yup your right, its been awhile since i plowed a tank through a base.

But the deaths seemingly still have no correspondence to the kinetic conditions that illicit them.

Why you guys have to think to get a 3d bullet hole? A color texture and the relative displacement map should perfectly work, without affecting performance IN ANY WAY, like we see in many other.... games.

Why you guys have to think to get a 3d bullet hole? A color texture and the relative displacement map should perfectly work, without affecting performance IN ANY WAY, like we see in many other.... games.

IIRC, the bullet holes are similar to the stars, in that they are GPU primitives, and very cheap to use. I don't know whether we'd see any performance decrease due to using textures & displacements etc, but it should be borne in mind that the two effects are from different techs.

3d bullet holes are really hard to do. The geometry complexity goes through the roof and you'll end up with shading errors due to poor topology of the meshes with models that are peppered with bullets.

It's not worth the effort imo.

^^I think what he means is using 2D texture with 3D effect (parallax occlusion mapping comes to mind).

• Like 1

We do also have textured bullet holes, but they are only applied to the terrain and you can have at least one hundred on screen at once (they fade with time, whereas objects have a limit of 14 point marks per object).

Edit: The terrain bullet marks haven't changed since Operation Flashpoint other than the texture (I checked - that's the first time I've had to put a CD into the PC to load a game for years!).

Edited by ceeeb
  • Like 1

yea i think the terrain ones are basically like tiny explosion craters.

it might be a minor detail but it can totally be done. not everything that arma doesn't have is missing as a result of careful evaluation of technical aspects. i will never understand why people think that the devs made this perfectly balanced thing and some things aren't possible in it. it's funny in a sad way. i mean. these bullet holes persist for ages now and yet over the course of time we got "physX", normal maps and other major updates to the engine. and still some people seem to think, a proper bullet hole texture would break performance. :annoy:

it's a small thing that is part of a huge list which is getting bigger and bigger. reading nettrucker's post in the pet peeves thread and the whole pet peeves thread itself are really depressing to be honest.

• Like 1

On 19.02.2014 at 2:59 PM, sgtsev3n said:

yes i know there are many other things which has much more priority than new bulletholes (MP optimization, AI, FPS etc...) and i want to see increased FPS, MP optimized and better AI too but we have these strange bulletholes since arma combat operations (dont know in OFP because i never really played it) and with every release of arma, BI improved many visual aspects in each arma but didn´t really taste the bulletholes. in arma 3 we got complete new effects for fire, smoke, water etc which is awesome. why not recreate the bulletholes in arma 3 ?

that are the bulletholes in arma 3, the only bullethole effect which got a LITTLE new look is the ground bullethole (not in screen) and remember: the bullethole is the same on EVERY material which means: if you shoot against metal, it looks like on the screen. if you shoot against wood, trees, vehicles etc... it looks like the same as in the screen on every material.

http://i58.tinypic.com/212s6qw.jpg (176 kB)

why not have proper bulletholes for each material like for example in crysis or half-life 2 and remove that round dark spot what we have now.

why not have bulletholes like this if you shoot against glass ?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/alptraum/alptraum1103/alptraum110300065/9194941-bullet-hole-in-glass-closeup-and-isolated-on-solid-black-actual-gunshot-from-a-44-handgun.jpg (108 kB)

and these if you shoot against metal/vehicles and similar things:

http://www.ghettoredhot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/los-angeles-bullet-hole-mini-van.jpg (116 kB)

and these if you shoot against walls/buildings etc..

_49695582_jex_851599_de28-1.jpg

maybe it would be nice to do some Parallax Mapped Bullet Holes ...  on walls  i dont know .. those round  black splats  are really  arhaic .

http://cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01/05/parallax-mapped-bullet-holes/

Imagine what they could've achieved in the last 4 1/2 years. 

Holy Necro batman!

Would be a sweet edition though - in both materials and actual characters