Sign in to follow this  
Crielaard

Manual Bombing

Manualbombing_front.JPG

To help the community a bit on their way with bombarding their enemies. When you don't have the luxury of Laser Designation or CCIP and CCRP modes of an Fire control, you have to do it the old fashioned way. Like in the first two world wars!

I came up with the idea of writing this manual when I saw many people, both on Public servers and on YouTube, flying extremely low and diving far to steep. Just to get their bombs on target. What happend? They put them selves in range of small arms fire and left them selves no room to evade anti-air missiles. Some even killed all their maneuvering room, slamming into the ground at tree tops.

By working on this manual I was able to confirm ArmA's bomb physics ARE indeed CORRECT unlike some state...

The bombs as described in the manual follow a glide path wich is EXACTLY the one from the Mk-82 in a standard atmosphere and so my release parameter table from real life IS usable.

Bombs do act strange when released from very low speeds. (Under 100 km/h) But since that never happens....no problem.

Hopefully people will read this manual and start correct practice. Then soon I hope these silly performances will eventually disappear from the ArmA3 community.

Download the manual + Reference table here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/3Cdo/Manual%20Bombing.zip

Comming soon: Tutorial mission on Altis & Tutorial video on YouTube!

WARNING: Manual bombing requires discipline in flight. Striving for perfection and patience in training! The random 'fancy flyboy' simply won't hack it! Prepare to drop dozens of bombs to get this down right. Trust me! Eventually you will be able to drop bombs from over 1000m altitude with 10m precision!

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for the info!

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Edited by Guest

So, do jets usually have targeting computers for bomb dropping? Even a simple one that would just draw a reticle on the HUD?

Yes a fire control computer gives the pilot all kinds of options to release the bomb off the rail at exactly the correct moment. Most common options are:

'continues calculated Release point' CCRP.

'Continues calculated Impact point' CCIP.

'Dive toss'. DTOS

all allows the pilot to simply put a reticle on the target..hit the pickle button and the bomb will come off eventually.

As a backup system the pilot has a WWII type of reticle. While using that he will use a procedure which is 98% of what I describe in my manual.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

I just noticed some real strange typos and spelling errors in the description in my first post. Probably because it was late. :(

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Regarding bomb physics, I would say that there is something odd about them. Creating a bomb 100 meters above ground using createVehicle command sets the bomb into freefall, but it takes over 9 seconds to hit the ground. In reality it would take about half of that. That in turn leads me to believe that bombs aren't actually moved by the physics engine, but have some weird script driving them.

Looks that way indeed. Or the physics collapse when the bomb doesnt meet certain parameters. Like speed. A stationairy bomb falling down will practically never happen.

BI studios knows the answer. :D

As I'm still working on my combat fundamentals manual, due to the fighter jet addons which are getting more and more detailed, I created a training mission and two video's.

Here is my training mission, showing a 'skytunnel' to the release point. Proving the physics work as they should and thus Laser designation is not mandatory to get bombs on target. Just dicipline and training.

This video shows a 30 degrees dive bombing with bomb release at 1300m of altitude.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/Manual%20release%20helpcues.mp4

In the following video I demostrate a 20 degree dive boming. You see me doing the calculations, planning and last second corrections.

A 1200m release altitude ends in a 770 meter release due to a screwed Tip-In.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/Manual%20release%2020deg.mp4

Note: The Target bullseye is a 30 meter radius circle.

UPDATE 4-3-2014

---------------

- GBU38's physics is off > removed from Manual release table

- Added level delivery table for both GBU12 and GBU38

- Added LGB delivery parameters (bonus)

Two video examples of using this technique:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/Manual%20release%20helpcues.mp4

This is a proof on concept, using rings in the air to mark the correct flight path. A direct hit from above 1000m with 30 degrees of dive angle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/Manual%20release%2020deg.mp4

This is an example of how to put it in practice. You see me setup a dive attack using the map. Then I screw up the approach and correct accordingly, as per the manual. Bomb impacts within 30 meters of the target.

Comming soon: a full combat manual for Fixed wing fighter aircraft

DOWLOAD LATEST GUIDE PACKAGE HERE:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/3Cdo/Manual%20Bombing.zip

Thanks for sending us the update :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Dropbox suspended me from public links haha.

Here are Youtube video's, supporting my guide.

This following video is a proof of concept with rings in the air to easily guide me to a release point. This way people see what you should be aiming for. What you see is also my upcomming tutorial mission.

This video show how you use it in practice. I even screw it up partitually but still my bomb hits within 30 meters of the target.

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Wow, thanks! Just trying out the CAS showcase and am not very successful with my bombing runs :) Good to see an expert doing it!

Edited by tvamvarg

By working on this manual I was able to confirm ArmA's bomb physics ARE indeed CORRECT unlike some state...

I hate to be the one correcting you on this one, but bomb physics aren't correct.

Bombs just won't stop accelerating at all. If you drop some GBU12s at 55km altitude they will impact with a speed of (!)~3700km/h after ~108 seconds.

Already made a ticket about this:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18188

What Xendance experienced might be the "weird" flight physics in arma, a spawned bomb is aimed at the horizon and therefor seems to be in a "gliding" mode until it's heading towards the ground, only then the bomb will enter the freefall mode.

If you want I can add a repro mission to check that on your own.

Other than that I appreciate your tutorial and enjoyed your videos, gonna put that knowledge to good use, heh.

For normal altitudes and speeds the physics are correct. When initial speed is very low it will indeed act weird. I believe your finding at 55km altitude. However I have never flown over 15km altitude and never had to drop manually released bombs accurately above 3km.

Hence, the physics work compared to real life release tabels.

I would like to see better aerodynamics in Arma aswell. FSX-like would allready be fine and not too demanding on the processor.

Headsup. My combat fundamentals manual is nearing completion. It has a few pages on manual 'lofting' of bombs, for better standoff.