Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

9/11 thread

The purpose of this thread is simply to pay tribute to those who lost their lives and to those who helped save others a year ago, through WEB site links, pics and quotes.

If you want to discuss pros and cons about anything having to do with 9.11, please do so on another thread. Thank you.

I'll start:

America Attacked 9.11

Although it always lurked in the background of my consciousness, 9/11 brought to the forefront (at least for me) the importance of the little guy. The firefighter who follows the order to head up into a burning skyscraper, or some working class joe who finds himself on a flight that has been hijacked by suicidal terrorsists and decides to do something about it. They do their part without asking for recognition or asking for high pay, and are continuously overshadowed by people who do things for so much more money and fame, and yet when it all comes down, they are ultimately insignificant compared to the little guy who is willing to give his life to help others or to do the right thing.

Although I think that the melodramatic and overdone tributes given to these people in the media were crass and tasteless, that doesnt diminish my respect for them or their sacrifices, nor does it attenuate my sorrow that now there are that many less people like them in the world now, and they constantly seem to be in short supply as it is.

I may not agree with their politics, their religion, or their choice of sports teams. But the ultimate thing is, when the shit hit the fan, they were the ones heading towards the towers, not running the other way. And that is something I will eternally admire. Now, I endeavor to be the kind of person who, when placed in a similar situation, will do the same thing as these men and women did.

God bless those affected in the US and those in other countries, and lets hope nothing like this ever happends again. I will light a candle for you. World in peace!

4.gif

Amnesty USA

American Red Cross

No politics or ideology in the world can justify the attacks on the World Trade Center. It was a deliberate mass murder of innocent civilians. My thoughts today go out not only to the victims of the attack but also to the Afghani innocent men, women and children that were also killed as a direct result of the Sep. 11 attacks.

Within a few hours last year the world turned into an uglier, darker place. Lets hope that it will never happen again. Let us also hope that we manage to get out of the dark corner we are in now without spilling more innocent blood.

peace.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 11 2002,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Although it always lurked in the background of my consciousness, 9/11 brought to the forefront (at least for me) the importance of the little guy. The firefighter who follows the order to head up into a burning skyscraper, or some working class joe who finds himself on a flight that has been hijacked by suicidal terrorsists and decides to do something about it. They do their part without asking for recognition or asking for high pay, and are continuously overshadowed by people who do things for so much more money and fame, and yet when it all comes down, they are ultimately insignificant compared to the little guy who is willing to give his life to help others or to do the right thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, the little guys do what they're told, be their motivation duty, honor or faith. Ironically this tendency of the little guys both brought us the horror of 9/11 and tried to fight it.

If the little guy hijackers had used their own brain and survival instinct instead of listening to the "faith" preached by mr. maniac Osama, they would not have done their deed. If the firefighters would not have believed in the "duty" preached to them by their society, they would not have stormed the burning towers. See, the willingness of the little guy to follow leaders is both our bane and our blessing.

I wonder what happens when the leaders have pushed the little guys against each other until they're all dead? Do the leaders get scared, make up and go party on the mountain of dead little guys?

It's really a sad thing that it requires something as drastic as the massive loss of innocent lives to finally acknowledge the true heros that are among us.  

Growing up, my next door neighbor was a fire captain in my hometown.  He seemed to ALWAYS have the day off (they work 2 full days on duty, then have the rest of the week off), his family got great benifits, and he seemed to go on about 3 vacations a month.  He'd come over and share a beer with my dad, and they'd BBQ and BS, and my father never passed up a chance to jab about how easy fire captains had it (in good taste of course. biggrin.gif ).  Anyone who's ever lived in southern california for a year knows we've got nasty fire seasons, and growing up, I'd known that occasionally my neighbor was gone for a couple weeks at a time, maybe once or twice a year, but I didn't really think that was to bad.  I suppose it seemed just to easy to me when I was a kid....you know, be a firefighter: go spray some water on a fire, get a lot of money, come home, go on vacation.

The most sobering thought I had in regards to 9/11 was when I returned home from school later that month.  I saw my neighbor in his driveway, getting his boat ready for a trip to the river, and I realized instantly, that without a doubt, if something so devastating ever happened in my hometown, he'd be on the frontline without hesitation.

His son who I grew up with is a firefighter now, and my neighbor is growing very close to retirement these days.  My father and I wander over with a beer now and then to say hi, and they do the same when they're both around.  He and my father actually spend a lot of time downloading extremely odd MP3 files these days ("Da Yuppers" anyone?).  

I never once saw this man as a hero before.  He's just been my neighbor.  But in that moment when I came home, I realized that he, and his son, are no different from those we lost in New York.  

If we don't learn from the past, then those who died will have done so in vain, and I know what I learned from that day.  Some people are given the chance to be heros for a split second....but a special group of people make careers out of it.  I will NEVER view a firefighter or police officer in the same way again.  

God rest the souls of those who we lost, and may he protect those that we still have.

Here's to hoping that when I'm old and grey, we still look back on 9/11 as the worst terrorist attack the US has ever seen.

With all my heart I dedicate this tiny post to all those human beings who have died so far in actions related to 9/11. I can not however, and will probably never be able to, reduce my sympathies only to, or make any differance between, those who died in USA one year ago, and all those who have died, and continue dying, from retaliations. I specially would like to bring forward the later group, since only very few seems to care about them at all, even if their numbers probably are the greatest.

Spend some time in favour of all those who have died at these sites:

http://www.cursor.org/

http://www.9-11memorial.org/

One of the oddes days of my life. I was suprised/shocked, and mad. I wish attacks like these on nobody, and all the people who died on this day are multiple times more brave than I will ever be.

the fact of burning in a collapsing building while typing on your computer

is not being brave , the fact of jumping on the terrorists who hijacked your plane to avoid the plane to crash on an important site is brave , the fact of going in the building to ave people is brave , the fact to calm people down aroud you is brave

i'd say that overall 2/5 of all the people in the towers didn't even know that the building has been hitted until the fire reached their office or the building collapsed , and some maybe started panicking , we never know , the 11/9 attack shown how much bravour we can have in those situations , but generalising this kind of "brave american worker" thing isn't right

I feel deeply for the victims, let's hope we as nations don't allow ourselves complacency again, as hard as it may be to be alert permanantly.

I remember that when I first heard about the attacks, I thought it was a joke. I was at work,recieving product at the back room of the grocery store, and the driver I was recieving asked me "Did you hear about the kamikaze pilot in New York?" and I said "Nope, never heard that one". He then told me he wasn't kidding and that he had heard on the radio that a jet had been flown into the World Trade Centre 20 minutes before. After he left I started asking co-workers & overhearing customer conversations about it....there were some pretty wild and varied stories...people were saying that 6 small jets from somewhere in Asia had been flown into the two WTC towers, and US fighters were intercepting others that were inbound, ect. So I made my way to our Produce department, where there's a radio, and got a better idea of what was happening...only then I realiszed that they were actually passenger planes full of people. My shift ended 6 hours later and only then did I get to see what happened on TV....I just remember feeling disgust.

My thoughts are with the victims of terror worldwide.

Sept 11 2001: Canada Remembers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 11 2002,06:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to discuss pros and cons about anything having to do with 9.11, please do so on another thread. Thank you.<span id='postcolor'>

Although I understand and respect what your intention is with this thread Avon, I must disagree.

A thread without any form of discussion is quite pointless and goes against the idea of a forum. Just as we have one thread to discuss the problems in Israel, I see no need in having several threads on the 9/11 subject.

So this thread is open for discussions about the terrorist attacks that occured last year in NY and Wahington DC. I would like to remind you however to keep on-topic and be sensitive towards our Amercican friends for whom these events were a national tragedy.

On September 11th, 2001, I got up and came to work, and in the morning, when the news came over the radio, I was pretty much just sat there and listened to the radio the whole day. Then I went downtown and bought Slayer's God Hates Us All album that was released on that same day. I went to a bar, had a few beers while reading an extra edition of the newspaper that afternoon. I went home and played some OFP (mission editing) while listening to the Slayer album.

-=Die Alive=-

I was at home when my neigbour knocked on my door and told me that he just heard on TV that an airplane had crashed in one of the WTC towers. I thought at first that he was joking, but he assured me that it was true.They were talking about a private plane. I turned on the TV and they were now brodcasting live from NY. I remember watching the hole in the first tower, thinking - damn, this looks really bad. Then, live, in front of my eyes the second plane smashed into the other tower. I was completely stunned. Not horrified, not disgusted but completely stunned and full of disbelief. I simply couldn't comperhend it. Then the news of the Pentagon attack came and I got a totally overwhelming feeling of "What the hell is going on??".

I started calling friends and family and told them to quickly turn on their televisions. The first tower collapsed. Death Toll estimates started to come. 50 000 were working in the WTC, probably 10 000 dead was the estimation.

I tried to reach the CNN website (and other news sites) but they were all down. Rumors started to spread on the TV: two or three more airplanes airborn; carbomb outside the State Department etc.

The second tower collapsed. The death toll estimates were getting even more pessimistic.

I talked to a very old friend of mine who is from Iran. He was almost crying and had to interrupt our conversation to vomit. He was repeating over and over again: "Please let this not be the work of muslim terrorists". The websites started to come online again.

The hot topic was now a third plane heading towards Washington. On CNN.com they came out with the news that airforce F-16s had downed the plane and an airforce general confirmed. Soon after, the Whitehouse denied and the story was removed entirely. The plane crash in Pennsylvania  was confirmed.

Suspension. Would there be another one? etc..

The thing that I remember the best is the complete surrealism of the situation.

It was first when they started to broadcast interviews with survivors and the families of the vicitms that I really started to comperhend the tragedy of the events.

I remember listening to the radio, and switching to one of the rock stations, and they were playing Jon Bon Jovi's song Blaze of Glory (fromt the Young Guns 2 soundtrack). That was like within minutes of the 2nd tower coming down.

-=Die Alive=-

was just back from work , my gf who was back from her work since 12.30 took me right front of the tv , was still in uniform ... i though it was some bad film or some catastrophe movie ..... no , it was real , phoned to some people i know (one of my uncles who've been in lebanon and who had his girl in trip in USA , my little brother , my little sister , some old friends and some military friend and personnal relations to get more details)

i spent the rest of this day sleeping , woke up again at 19.30 , lighted the tv again , watched it some more , i've eaten my diner , wandered around a little bit on the internet , gone to work at 21.30 , discussed of it with coworkers and stayed in my office with a warm coffee cup

wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 11 2002,18wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On CNN.com they came out with the news that airforce F-16s had downed the plane and an airforce general confirmed. Soon after, the Whitehouse denied and the story was removed entirely. The plane crash in Pennsylvania  was confirmed.<span id='postcolor'>

Typical CNN....

I was sleeping. the night before, i played campaign mission until 3pm, since I finished my GRE exam and bough OFP the week before.

i was dead a sleep when my father calls me up, and wakes me up. it was 8am PST(11am EST). he called me and said, "go turn on the TV, WTC has been attacked. two planes drove into  it." and my first reply was, "I think i know who did it. that guy..Osama", and my dad's reply was, "What the heck are you talking about?"  tounge.gif

well, i went to watch the tv in living room, and surely enough they showed the videos of second plane crashing into WTC and fall of it. I wasn't much of stunned, but more of "ok, now that guy has really done it. wonder what US will do." (Massoud was assasiante over the preceding weekend)

well, i managed to watch how idiotic ppl can be. first there was lack of guts in media(as they always are in these situations), flying unconfirmed infos everywhere. it is nice to see how many ppl loose their cool insituation and make things worse. maybe i'm just lacking a lot of nuerons, but ppl were panicking without any thinking.

in following days, there were the prophecies of Nostradamus written in 1600s(he was dead in 1500's biggrin.gif ), then Jewish conspiracy, accompanied with Wingdig font that supposedly showed number of jet liner(absolutely false). and some hoax photos of some tourist on top of tower 2, with one jet right behind him(fake). also some claimed that video of palestinians rejoicing the attakck was actually a CNN scheme to blame muslims, and they took out old Gulf War videos.(yeah right)

then ppl started to worry about clash of civilization, and Bush said he was  "highly" considering palestinian stateship. and not to mention all the video of Osama celebrating WTC attack accused of being fake.

9-11 showed how dumb ppl were. and how brave others can can be.

EDIT: also Bill Maher's bad word choice and interpretation thereof.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 11 2002,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">also some claimed that video of palestinians rejoicing the attakck was actually a CNN scheme to blame muslims, and they took out old Gulf War videos.(yeah right)<span id='postcolor'>

Actually a Swedish reporter team proved later that these pictures indeed were not kosher. The CNN crew didn't find any palestinans rejoicing, so they paid a group to celebrate. This was well documented with proof and witnesses and was broadcasted on most European news.

Shit... didnt knew that....

But we did have some immigrants up here in Denmark that celebrated with the palestinian flag. they came driving dfown with loud music while there was a 2minute silense in copenhagen...

Their license plate was wactually noted down and broadcasted on the internet here in Denmark... I wonder what happend to those sick people.

I was at work, about 30 minutes before I was supposed to go home. Maybe more, not sure. Anyway, I check newssites regularly throughout the day and I stumbled on the new just as it was posted on a swedish newssite. Checked radio channels, went into the office next door and told them. One guy there had heard and was real casual, because he had heard it was a sportsplane. Later turned out it wasn't. I talked to some people over ICQ, several of them American, and they hadnt heard yet.

I phoned my girlfriend and told her a plane had crashed into WTC. She had been there about half a year earlier. I then headed home and switched on the tele.

I made some phonecalls to close friends, emailed a couple of people and monitored websites at the same time as I watched the TV. I also pulled out my homeguard gear and made sure I had the full kit. I was fairly sure there was more coming, along the lines of an all out attack against more cities. Living in one of Swedens largest cities, right across the sound from Copenhagen, I thought that it wasnt unklikely that something might happen nearby if it all deteriorated. I watched the news channels throughout the day and just waited for it all to get worse. As luck would have it, it never did.

Strange, this September 11th has started a lot like last one. Waking up late on my day off, and logging onto the net to check my email and read my webcomics.

Last year though a friend of mine asked: Have you turned the TV on yet? I said no, and he suggested it might be a good idea. Instead I went to cnn.com and received one of the worst shocks in my life.

In my own slightly delusional way, I was starting to think that just maybe, man as a species was beginning to wake up and learn to live with each other, in spiute of our varied and often conflicting belief systems. And 9/11 was the destruction of that belief. For me, 9/11 is the day the world became a bleaker place.

So I sit here wondering about the world one year on, and I remember the acts of heroism of 9/11. Remember the emergency services of NYC, the people who stopped running and turned back to help. And that gives me hope.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Sep. 11 2002,19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But we did have some immigrants up here in Denmark that celebrated with the palestinian flag. they came driving dfown with loud music while there was a 2minute silense in copenhagen...

Their license plate was wactually noted down and broadcasted on the internet here in Denmark... I wonder what happend to those sick people.<span id='postcolor'>

That's 100% sick! During the 2 minute silence also...! Shit ... What are they doing up here, send them back ...

I remember 1 year ago, I think someone said it on the Codematers Operation Flashpoint chat, and I saw it live on Euronews, 2nd plane and everything... Perhaps I saw it on tv first, and then heard some discussions on that chat... All the news sites on the net which I knew of, were down for a pretty long time. After a while, down-scaled sites came up.

Like ran said, the firefighters and others who went into the towers to save people, and the passengers on United Airlines flight 93 who avoided their plane from hitting any buildings, they were brave.

I feel for the 9-11 victims.

Edit: That night (Swedish time), September 11th 2001, me and my father went to the airport to pick up my older sister and here friend, they arrived from the canary islands. We told them what had happened, and they couldn't believe it. They told us that the air steward had been looking 'depressed', never smiled or anything. Appearently they hadn't informed the passengers, because that would probably just cause panic.