Tankbuster

Domination Redux by Champy and Tankbuster

Thread Rename request.

Please could a nice moderator or admin rename this thread to

Domination Redux by Champy_UK & Tankbuster

Edited by Tankbuster

My public server is running the new build, revision 1030. Bunch of fixes for side missions and added the Marksmen content to the whitelist.

investigation revealed it's been in the mission since the version Xeno entered into the MANW competition. (You know, that competition that he was so angry about, it left the community and stopped developing the mission)

wha... Domination was competing in that? or was it another mission based on Domination?

wha... Domination was competing in that? or was it another mission based on Domination?

Yes, he entered Domination into the competition. There were a number of improvements in the version he entered. Unfortunately for him, there was quite a bit of my (and that of my guys) code still in there and that's against the rules. There was a number of pretty serious bugs too. So it didn't get through the first stage. You can imagine his reaction to that. :)

Anyhow, we've taken the best bits from that, fixed up as much of the stuff he left broken as we could and added on 80 or so side missions.

Also, just in case tl;dr, the licence he put on these later versions prohibit public releases of modified missions. So, I'm not doing public releases, though I do tell my players when the mission has been updated on my public server.

hmmm, an interesting turn of events... thanks for clarifying it for me

Yes, he entered Domination into the competition. There were a number of improvements in the version he entered. Unfortunately for him, there was quite a bit of my (and that of my guys) code still in there and that's against the rules. There was a number of pretty serious bugs too. So it didn't get through the first stage. You can imagine his reaction to that. :)

Funny, that's not true at all. The mission which was used for the competition had no third party code in it anymore and was completely changed and optimized for the sub optimal product called A3.

Anyway, you still don't have permission to release or modify the mission!

I simply don't want to see anything I've made being used in A3. That's what I've asked you multiple times and you still refuse to follow that reuqest.

Edit: I'm too ill (for months already) for this kind of bullshit. Please just follow my request!

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Hello Xeno, I've been away for quite a long time and I'm sorry to hear of your illness and banning of your content in ArmA3. Why can't we use something based on your work in ArmA3? I know this must have been answered already, but I have no idea where I'd find such information other than the man himself.

What if I were to create my own mission framework not at all based on your code but with many of the same ideas behind your work? Could I still call it Domination? Could it be done? Would you hate me? These are all important questions. :)

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

As you are very well aware, Xeno, I'm complying with your licence terms. And BI themselves have said the very same to you.

As for the provenance of the code entered into the manw competition, which you so despised until you saw the euro signs, there were files that actually still contained credits to other users. The MASH script was mine. You tried to change it to make it look like yours, but you actually broke the medic scoring system.

You made a half arsed job of removing 3rd part code, I assume because it was rushed. If you had come to us and been honest and upfront about your intentions, we'd have done anything to help, even, perhaps offering a collaboration, but no, Xeno knows best and you went in all shout, angry and demanding and in the end I had to ask BI to intervene because you were getting abusive and hassling me to a serious extent.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

and while I remember, I assume you're on the ACE thread demanding takedown? And the CBA thread?

Oh, you aren't. So it must be personal against me. What a lovely chap you are.

This is, this is just priceless! xDDDD

I don't actually see your problem Xeno?

I'm sorry, but if you do something for the community you should know that it will be used and maybe changed. Everything is changed and why shouldn't it? I mean isn't it kinda cool to see how the community can work with your work?

And most of all don't forget that Tankbuster and his colleagues always gave credits where credits are due. Even when you when you are rageing around (of course thats not meant in a bad way nor is it meant to be an insult) he still gave credits to you. Be happy what is happening with domination. Be happy that the community still wants to play it. Be happy that you still have credits.

You are not a bad programmer but you should try to work for the community or just leave things how they are. Right now, you don't look like a "proud programmer" but more like a "clown" (still not meant as an insult)

Edited by Moon_chilD

Funny, that's not true at all. The mission which was used for the competition had no third party code in it anymore and was completely changed and optimized for the sub optimal product called A3.

Anyway, you still don't have permission to release or modify the mission!

I simply don't want to see anything I've made being used in A3. That's what I've asked you multiple times and you still refuse to follow that reuqest.

Edit: I'm too ill (for months already) for this kind of bullshit. Please just follow my request!

Xeno

Sorry your so ill through all the stress of this and other things Xeno, but i would suggest you check you released version more thoroughly before you claim that there was no 3rd party content within it. I like Tankbuster have spent months going through every file to find my own work and also a n others (Not just Tankbusters') that you incorporated in to this competition entry. You were happy to collaborate with us when it suited you and i can only presume due to your illness or current situation that you have become jaded and forgotten the help in bug finding in previous versions that happened on the HX forums.

As for breaking your agreement, it was asked and replied to within your steam thread that ANY one could put a version of the competition entry on a server but not to publicly release it and YOU said that was fine by you. Tankbuster or myself have and do not intend on breaking any previous agreements we have had with you and we have also kept in anything you deemed necessary such as the no streaming messages.

I wish you well and hope your situation improves... but as the gentlemen said above, you are not doing yourself any favors by acting this way and hope you will reconsider your actions and comments as i wouldn't like to remember you in this way. I also would like to think that the community would like to remember you as being the respected coder creator of Domination and Ace that we all know you are deep down...

I genuinely wish you well and hope this can be resolved in an adult manor

Champy UK

EDIT - You may wish to consult SWEC3 and see how many OTHER people are using and playing on EDITED versions of your competition release... i can only assume that as Tankbuster has said, you are persecuting us and only us?? As i know the other versions on there wont be unedited.

Why cant you see it and feel proud that people are wanting to play your mission?.. Very sad if you cant :(

Edited by Champy_UK

Tankbuster,

Is the HC working in Domination Redux? Mine gets kicked out?

Haven't tried it recently mate, but it is on my list of things to do. If you have any success, please let us know.

Here's a quick video to show some of the improvements we made to the some aspects of the mission.

In the original mission, convoy missions were a bit hit-and-miss. Vehicles were prone to spawning in a weird way, getting stuck on rocks and walls and sometimes spawning so close to each other, both would be instantly destroyed. So we set about improving this.

Also, and this is an game problem, not a mission problem, vehicles often 'turn in' to a corner too early, so they clip building, street furniture or tree objects, often damaging themselves. The smaller vehicles can stop much quicker than the big ones so you would often see rear end collisions of trucks running into smaller vehicles in the convoy. So we added a tiny event handler that stopped any collision damage when the vehicles hit map objects or their convoy colleagues. Their damage behaviour was unchanged in all other ways.

Anyway here's a video of what we did.

Very well done it looks like!

By the way the HC does work!

Question: How do you rescue and Med-vac the guy from the Sub?

Edited by vengeance1

Question: How do you rescue and Med-vac the guy from the Sub?

Ah. That one is designed to be tough. You have to hover super close (less than 5m) to him. He'll teleport into the aircraft and you take him back to the flag to win. If you wait just a few seconds after picking him up, you'll see the sub dive. :)

---------- Post added at 07:01 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

Very well done it looks like!

Thank you. Here's a debug screenshot of the utter dogs dinner that it replaced. The green arrows are the places where the original script was intending to place the vehicles. Not particularly good choices, I think you'll agree, but worry not they don't actually spawn there and as you can see, two vehicles spawned in contact with each other and were destroyed instantly. The one stuck on the wall in the middle of the screen eventually frees itself and with a damaged wheel, runs my player (setcaptivetrue) over and kills him.

http://puu.sh/heB5x/5df5ea3193.png (1685 kB)

So, many of the problems you see there are engine related problems - ie, nothing the author can do to fix, but as my earlier video shows, if you spend a little time on working around the problems the engine presents and testing them, the mission maker can make these missions actually work.

//Hi Xeno! Get well soon!

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 ----------

By the way the HC does work!

Oh cool. Can you share what you did to get it working?

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

And here's the second -very short- part of that convoy video. As I said earlier, the vehicles are prone to turning in too early and the lead of this convoy just exactly that while making a right turn in Neri. It crashes quite hard into a wall corner section, knocking it down.

Normally, that'd result in at least a broken wheel and the convoy would at best crawl along behind it, or at worst, get completely stuck. This little eventhandler I was talking about means the vehicles don't take any damage from collision damage. So, in this case and in many others I've seen while testing, the initial collision knocks down the object in the way, the vehicle doesn't take damage from it and is able to back off, and have another try at the corner, which is now slightly clearer because the wall is gone.

It's not without it's drawbacks, this method means you wont be able to batter the convoy vehicles into submission by ramming them with your own vehicles and objects placed in the road to hamper them won't damage them, but I think on balance, this is better than it was.

Given that BI have shown little interest in fixing the AI driving, I do have plans to try to mitigate the 'turning in too early' behaviour by adding a virtual whisker on the front corners of these vehicles. If they sense a nearby object, I hope to be able to jiggle the vehicle along a little further in the direction of travel before the turn to help miss these objects. Vcom AI does a lot to help driving, but doesn't, AFAICS, do anything to this turning behaviour. Ifrit and the little 3 tonne fuel tanker drivers seem particularly bad at this.

HC Client

Basically it had to do with making sure the xxxxx.cfg (mine is TADST_config.cfg) file on the server has this updated Headless line in it which I had to edit, otherwise the client gets kicked off.

headlessclients[]={127.0.0.1};

Now whether it is actually having an impact or not I am not sure yet, but it does log into missions and has no errors. I use FSF Launcher on Server configured for Headless Client and seems to work fine.

A slight problem with a side mission.

The stealing of a speedboat at Mazi Bay.

I was just on my way OUT of the area when

they got me in the back...

The boat just kept going and going... Lost it..

I went up with a Huron and looked for it, but it

was gone...

Maybe a "deadmans switch"..

If your killed the vehicle will stop..

Sounds like a game bug, so probably not caused by the mission, but I might be able to put a fix in like your deadmans switch.

Hello,

or can I download your mod ?

Armaholic the link is dead

Neall,

I can't do public releases of the mission any more due to licensing restrictions, that's why the Armaholic link had to be removed.

The mission is running here though. You can play the mission there, or you can download the mission file from that server when you join it. If you need any more help, let me know.

http://arma3-servers.net/server/27010/

Tanky -Paul-

Tankbuster,

Hey I can't figure out how to use artillery? I get "No Targets" I am playing "d_artop_1". How do you mark target?

By the way noticed this last update 1132 is a little more loading (FPS) on the Client and Server. Noticed on your Server too.

Thanks,

Yeah, the artillery is a bit tricky, but I think it's cool once you suss it out. Teamleader (or arty op) marks a target with a designator (make sure it has a battery), then the arty op can see the target in the artillery screens.

There is a new version, try that. There may be a bit of FPS saved in the new one.

Yeah, the artillery is a bit tricky, but I think it's cool once you suss it out. Teamleader (or arty op) marks a target with a designator (make sure it has a battery), then the arty op can see the target in the artillery screens.

There is a new version, try that. There may be a bit of FPS saved in the new one.

Thanks

The thing is, the FPS will be variable. We are using Fluit's DEP which, as you've seen, spawns small random enemy forces all over the island and this does mean that the FPS can be different from one day to the next. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong.