lev

Zeus Feature Request Thread

Well... I'd really like to see a "right-click hot-event bar". Just right click on the ground to select a basic 'scripted' event which might otherwise take a while to set up.

For example; AI Helo insertion. Just right click on the ground (with proper faction selected), choose "Helo Insertion" from a list, then click the area where you want the helicopter to spawn. Helo immediately spawns mid-air at spawn point loaded with a fire team, drops troops off at the place where I right clicked, then flies back to spawn area and deletes itself unless given further orders.

The ability to program my own events into this hot-event bar would also be very cool. This way we could accomplish complex tasks easily and quickly, which is a necessity when you need to build believable missions on the fly.

Also, there are already a lot of requests for additional AI waypoints and the ability to get into/out of vehicles. I'd also like to be able to assign AI squads to act under a player's command. All of this could also be done with a basic right click menu; just go through standard waypoint-placing procedure but right click instead of left click, then select the proper waypoint/option (right click on vehicle and select "Get In", right click on player and select "Join Squad" or "Set as CO" to give the player in a "high-command" style system)

I'd also like to be able to assign AI squads to act under a player's command. All of this could also be done with a basic right click menu; just go through standard waypoint-placing procedure but right click instead of left click, then select the proper waypoint/option (right click on vehicle and select "Get In", right click on player and select "Join Squad" or "Set as CO" to give the player in a "high-command" style system)

I think this is already possible by grouping AI units to human players via Ctrl + Drag.

I think this is already possible by grouping AI units to human players via Ctrl + Drag.

Grouping them yes, but not in a high command structure.

I think the real priorities for me is Advanced Waypoints for AI and A way to unlock moving characters and whatnot.

Is it actually possible to assign objectives to specific players or squads only and not to the whole side in Arma? If so, I'd really like to see that possibility in Zeus

hi

i would like to have making groups with strg + g and ungrouping strg + u

like most of apps i use.

the soldier with highest rank has to be the leader of the group

and move on the map with the mouse like in photoshop for example

an no keybindings for move (wasd is the current preset)

Well... I'd really like to see a "right-click hot-event bar". Just right click on the ground to select a basic 'scripted' event which might otherwise take a while to set up.

For example; AI Helo insertion. Just right click on the ground (with proper faction selected), choose "Helo Insertion" from a list, then click the area where you want the helicopter to spawn. Helo immediately spawns mid-air at spawn point loaded with a fire team, drops troops off at the place where I right clicked, then flies back to spawn area and deletes itself unless given further orders.

The ability to program my own events into this hot-event bar would also be very cool. This way we could accomplish complex tasks easily and quickly, which is a necessity when you need to build believable missions on the fly.

Also, there are already a lot of requests for additional AI waypoints and the ability to get into/out of vehicles. I'd also like to be able to assign AI squads to act under a player's command. All of this could also be done with a basic right click menu; just go through standard waypoint-placing procedure but right click instead of left click, then select the proper waypoint/option (right click on vehicle and select "Get In", right click on player and select "Join Squad" or "Set as CO" to give the player in a "high-command" style system)

Yes! yes a hundred times to this, came in here to suggest something similar. It could be a little toggleable hotbar on the bottom, or just a right click menu, but this would be fantastic. Load it up will all your commonly used actions, or complex specific ones you know you'll need quickly later.

Was playing with it this weekend running missions, and found myself wanting something like this very badly.

Most of these have already been suggested, but i'd definitely love to see:

-expanded unit control, just a toggle like 'show more options' with a bunch of expanded easy access variables that overwrite other behavior like "don't ever fire", "stay in a certain position", etc. Along with a edit inventory button, could use the exact same interface as the ammo box inventory that's currently in there, that works nicely. Maybe a color coded bg or small icon next to the unit's name on the edit menu to denote overriding behavior set

-more RP tools:

-ability to send messages to the player through some special channel (similar to CROSSROADS in other scenarios)

-ability to speak 'through' a unit, especially while remote controlling them

-setting the player's side easily so that enemy forces don't shoot them on sight or when the situation dictates that their cover as civilians has been blown

-more sound and audio controls. I'd love to be able to play the sound of sniper fire, or civilians talking, or a helicopter, or any number of sounds on command

-favorites for units in the edit list and for items/units/objects in the create list. Would be great to be able to mark a few units as favorites that you know you're going to need to spawn later

-more control over waypoints, just the ability to double click on them in the edit view to change their type would be handy, although it might end up being fiddly if we also can't create new ones of certain types without having to place it down first (don't' get me started on the pains of trying to get a squad right next to empty vehicle to get in from the high command controls)

-misc in editor GM tools, like a timer (for when you tell the players friendly reinforcements are 10 minutes away), and the ability to send them in-game hints

-the ability to shift+click and select multiple units to delete! It's very frustrating to have to select 20 empty wrecks or anything like that, when your'e in a situation you can't just grab them on the map

A lot of these wouldn't work without 'god' mode type GM Zeus, which is fine, it could be added onto that or just another checkbox (although it should be on by default if you're playing GM Zeus and not Z vs Players or Z vs Z).

Everything that he said! These are exactly the things that would make Zeus not just an awesome, but an awesomely versatile addition to the game.

Add the 2 other FIA factions, it'll come in handy for insurgency styled stuff. ;)

Also, allow us to edit their inits!

Now that there is a very good basis for survival-type gamemodes, I would really like to see some random loot and vehicle spawn modules in Zeus (of course also random civillian sites etc.). I also hope you create some furniture composition presets for some of the building types on Altis, so I can quickly fill some of the houses when players reach a certain area...

I've played many hours of Zeus and here're three quick ones.

- It would be very helpful to have some visual feedback of the units combat state. I know this is in beta (or whatever) but units often loose or ignore combat state commands. This includes the 4 states already in the Zeus dialog but I'd like to also add fleeing as MANY units become unresponsive when they get scared. I know this isn't an RTS but it would be nice to know why my squad is refusing my move command for the tenth time.

- Related. As it is now, you cannot set a waypoint's combat behavior when you place it. You have to place two and then change the second before the units reach the first. This is silly.

- And last, +1 for the additional waypoint functionality. Not ALL waypoint types of course, just the basics. I know this request seems like a no-brainer but it cant hurt to mention it again.

Edit: Why oh why are the mouse controls opposite in 3D and map spaces? Especially the waypoint button.

Edited by IconoclastDX
Bonus request!

I've played many hours of Zeus and here're three quick ones.

- It would be very helpful to have some visual feedback of the units combat state. I know this is in beta (or whatever) but units often loose or ignore combat state commands. This includes the 4 states already in the Zeus dialog but I'd like to also add fleeing as MANY units become unresponsive when they get scared. I know this isn't an RTS but it would be nice to know why my squad is refusing my move command for the tenth time.

- Related. As it is now, you cannot set a waypoint's combat behavior when you place it. You have to place two and then change the second before the units reach the first. This is silly.

- And last, +1 for the additional waypoint functionality. Not ALL waypoint types of course, just the basics. I know this request seems like a no-brainer but it cant hurt to mention it again.

Edit: Why oh why are the mouse controls opposite in 3D and map spaces? Especially the waypoint button.

Agree with all of these, was just about to suggest having more feedback in the UI for units and their states.

Started a long term campaign with some players over the weekend, and ran into some other things i'd like to add to my list, and i'll just keep it updated and alive in each post for ease of reference in case the designers check these forums (new in bold):

-Feedback like IconoclastDX was saying, for unit states, and additionally I think having waypoints change color depending on what kind they are would be some good feedback too, so you know when a waypoint is set to cycle, get in, etc without having to inspect it.

Context sensitive waypoints were introduced in the last patch, which has made getting units INTO vehicles easy and nice, the problem now is getting them out! I think the context sensitive key (alt) should make selected units that are already in a vehicle get out just as if they were given the disembark command, but only if you actually have the crewmen selected and not just the vehicle. Additionally i'd be fantastic if pressing alt and setting a waypoint for a chopper would make it land there if possible (or nearby if waypoint isn't a good landing spot).

-This got updated, it's now possible to press G to have units disembark vehicles, so that's great. All that's missing now is the ability to make choppers land.

-There's still some waypoint functionality that's missing, like being able to choose their type before setting them down (like IconoclastDX mentions, it's a huge pain if they reach the first one before you can edit it, because it goes away), and being able to change their expanded variables (as in the editor), like movement speed (for some reason even if you have them set to safe and patrolling with zeus, they still move at full speed and it looks very weird, stop/starty, unlike if you have them set to movement speed "limited" in the editor).

-The sites module in the normal editor is super useful for quickly populating bases and towns, and I would LOVE to see this added to Zeus. Just plop it down on a base, set the variables, and see it populate the base with all the units (who would show up in the edit list for zeus to control as well). You could set up some sites in a mission before hand that you have Zeus on, but I couldn't find a way to make those units show up under Zeus' control.

-expanded unit control, just a toggle like 'show more options' with a bunch of expanded easy access variables that overwrite other behavior like "don't ever fire", "stay in a certain position", etc. Along with a edit inventory button, could use the exact same interface as the ammo box inventory that's currently in there, that works nicely. Maybe a color coded bg or small icon next to the unit's name on the edit menu to denote overriding behavior set

-more RP tools:

-ability to send messages to the player through some special channel (similar to CROSSROADS in other scenarios)

-ability to speak 'through' a unit, especially while remote controlling them

-setting the player's side easily so that enemy forces don't shoot them on sight or when the situation dictates that their cover as civilians has been blown

-more sound and audio controls. I'd love to be able to play the sound of sniper fire, or civilians talking, or a helicopter, or any number of sounds on command

-sending hint box texts to players (just like the hint command in the editor). Would be great for anything that's not easily conveyed to players through normal means, ex. "you hear something moving in the back of the building", "the truck has the keys left in the ignition" etc.

-favorites for units in the edit list and for items/units/objects in the create list. I would love to be able to mark some units i know i'm going to need later, or even create my own custom groups of empty units or squads.

-Maybe favorites for locations too? like location book marks of interesting places you know you might want to use later in a mission. It would be awesome by the way if all these favorites could persist as part of the player's Zeus player preferences, that way we can save/mark a bunch of units or empty buildings and use them in future missions.

Not related to Zeus GM, so I won't put it in the list, but rather ZvP sector control, we ran into a pretty serious issue when trying to play it in a competitive manner as intended:

In this mode where the players attack and Zeus defends the sectors, unless we all missed something, the players don't spawn with or have any access to AT or explosive weapons, but Zeus has access to armed Ifrits almost immediately.

Basically what happened is the players just got murdered, without any way of dealing with the Ifrits. I'm not sure if we did something wrong, but the players should probably be able to spawn as a Light AT at least if Zeus has access to armored vehicles.

The other issue we found was the player's auto-spawned vehicles as they take sectors, work strangely. They seemed to respawn almost immediately when destroyed, which led to some strange balance issue, and also the problem of some gamey stuff like if they get damaged, they need to blow it up themselves, but it's in Zeus' best interest to keep it alive so that a new one doesn't respawn. Except he can't order his units not to shoot at it, so he ends up playing this weird game of 'keep enemy units away from friendly damaged vehicle. It was pretty bizarre and counter-intuitive.

I'd also like to say that I think Zeus is one of best new features I've seen in a game in a long time, and I think putting something like this into the Arma series is brilliant. I've already had a lot of fun creating and running missions, and I foresee a lot of time spent in the future with Zeus mode as a GM. Amazing stuff!

I just hope they continue to give it developer attention and resources, to allow it to become as good as it can be.

Edited by Soulis6
zeus got updated

So guys, have been playing zeus for quite some time, however I would like to echo the Idea to include the ability to create custome loadouts/units, like for instance:

A new unit could be created that as you put more gear on him, he will become more expenisve, from a "conscript" unit with only the bare minimum, to a heavily armed elite soldier

if not, I think adding the ability ot just the editor could work too

I would also like to see the ability to create new groups to use in the group placer of zeus

Edited by GeneralKong
New Idea

1) A HOLD command so everyone doesn't keep driving off when I don't want them to.

2) Group wide stance selection

3 - wishful thinking) Mouse dragging groups when outside of editable areas should command the units to position themselves there. This would be very helpful for positioning troop or vehicle groups in the right orientation at strategic locations (like along a ridge).

**4) Let vehicles no-clip through friendly infantry, especially in the same group. As it is now, trying to move a combined arms group (vehicles and troops) anywhere just turns into bloody three-point turns of carnage.**

Edited by IconoclastDX

+please add the zeus 3 editor placement part in 2 Editor as soon as possible and automatic activated for all active mods. i dont like units placeing with 2d editor.

We need a Unit loadout screen and copy gear function now. I manually edited a unit in Zeus with the new execute feature and then found out that when I copy the unit, he still has his standard loadout.

We need a Unit loadout screen and copy gear function now. I manually edited a unit in Zeus with the new execute feature and then found out that when I copy the unit, he still has his standard loadout.

What he said

Maybe aswell using the alt button and clicking the ground, a selected helicopter will land, which will allow safer disembarking of soldiers

What he said

Maybe aswell using the alt button and clicking the ground, a selected helicopter will land, which will allow safer disembarking of soldiers

What they said

I might edit my list, now that can use the command line 'execute' ability on units, all kinds of stuff is possible.

It's now very easy to land choppers for example, just double click the chopper and type in the execute box at the bottom {this land "LAND"} or {this land "GETIN"}, without the { }'s, to make choppers land or hover to drop off/pick up units.

I might edit my list, now that can use the command line 'execute' ability on units, all kinds of stuff is possible.

It's now very easy to land choppers for example, just double click the chopper and type in the execute box at the bottom {this land "LAND"} or {this land "GETIN"}, without the { }'s, to make choppers land or hover to drop off/pick up units.

Is there a list of the execute commands we can use in Zeus? I dont know any. :S

That's really useful, thanks! Didn't know about that page with the groups.

Also has anyone else noticed that as of today the execute script box is gone? It was there yesterday and now today I can't get it to show up. Not sure if i did something wrong or i'm running into a bug.

As per the patch notes:

Added: Exec field in object attributes is now available only for logged in admin

So you can't unless you're logged in as an admin on that server.

Hmm, i was trying it out in the editor though, do I need to change something in there to be 'marked' as an admin? Also tried hosting my own mission, didn't work there either, wouldn't that make me an admin automatically?