Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

Why this game sucks...

There are few gamemodes/mods out there that lets you play organized public PvP gameplay without joining a unit/clan/team/etc...

Check out Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Modification

It is pretty much like Project Reality in BF2 but only in Arma3 environment. Organized, squad oriented, tactical gameplay in public!

Wish I knew where these servers were.... Every time I search for them... I get 10 of them all empty!

They do really need to improve the Browser filters though the OP is right about that.

Certain things are total game changers so you should be able to filter the following options to Show or Hide, So that you only see the servers with settings you would want to play on.

Armor

FriendlyTag

EnemyTag

MineTag

HUD

HUDPerm

HUDWp

HUDWpPerm

HUDGroupInfo

AutoSpot

Map

WeaponCursor

AutoGuideAT

ClockIndicator

3rdPersonView

DeathMessages

NetStats

VonID

ExtendetInfoType

As well as that you should be able to add to a drop down list of mission names to exclude.

So you could add names to a list like this

DayZ

Life

Wasteland

Farm

BL1Ps mission of awesomeness

Then any missions with those in the name would be excluded or better still have the list of names generated by the Browser and you select the ones to ignore !

At the moment its very difficult to find the Servers with missions and settings which you want to play on.

All you can do is join a server and see if it is using the Server settings you like with the mission style you like.

This is because of the way a server owner can alter the base settings of any Difficulty making them all the same so that Recruit can become Elite.

The only one that is hard to revert is Elite but most don't use that as you cannot set the default start Difficulty as a server admin so all missions default to regular on mission change or server restart.

So the majority of Servers run and alter the Regular Difficulty because the server always defaults to that Difficulty.

This is why everyone reverts to playing with a community or clan and eventually the pubbers just revert to playing whatever spams the MP lists as they cant filter for what they want with enough detail.

Edited by BL1P

Wish I knew where these servers were.... Every time I search for them... I get 10 of them all empty!

Try EU evening times from 21:00 GMT onwards. U can check from gametracker or from swec.se if there are playersin the TacBF servers.

All I want from server browser is exclusive filters; like '-life -waste', as in no more wasting my life combing through the list for something I can play, but don't know exactly what to search for directly.

Edited by Greenfist

If you are overwhelmed by all the Altis Life and Wasteland servers in the server browser, I recommend trying dev branch for a while. Only a handfull of servers and players there, mostly Zeus GM right now...but most of them serious players and quite a familial atmosphere. Had a lot of fun recently.

10 Tips from an ArmA player:

1. Get friends to play with.

2. Get friends to get friends to play with.

3. Get friends to convince friends to buy the game for friends.

4. Friends.

5. Find a community if your friends are lil' shits. Plenty of friendly people out there (a lot with actual military experience!)

6. Learn mission editing. It's not as complex as it seems, and usually if you have something unique your friends are more likely to want to try it.

7. Get a good computer for hosting. Most people don't have the money for a decent rig so playing with those friends are hard.

8. Find more friends

9. Friends

10. See #1

10 Tips from an ArmA player:

1. Get friends to play with.

2. Get friends to get friends to play with.

3. Get friends to convince friends to buy the game for friends.

4. Friends.

5. Find a community if your friends are lil' shits. Plenty of friendly people out there (a lot with actual military experience!)

6. Learn mission editing. It's not as complex as it seems, and usually if you have something unique your friends are more likely to want to try it.

7. Get a good computer for hosting. Most people don't have the money for a decent rig so playing with those friends are hard.

8. Find more friends

9. Friends

10. See #1

Why complicate things where it can be simple as :"Find a clan/community that fits your needs?"..

There are LOTS of clans with different priorities/goals-and most of them even have dedicated servers for clan needs.

You want more -organized- PvP? There are solutions

You want more -organized- COOP? There are solutions

You want some of this and some of that?? There are solutions.

Even BI forums can aid you.

Take a look in this.Nice place to start looking

Find a group that fits you, if you can't find a group that fits you, start your own group. Either way if you want to play anything more advanced than Dayz or a Life RPG, you're gonna need some sort of group of like minded people, whether its as organised as full on milsim (if that's what floats your boat) or as disorganised as a group that's one guy with a 100 slot server and whoever wants to turn up on a certain day. (Even if anyone can get in, people who screw around, Rambo and TK will get banned pretty quickly) But just waltzing around public insurgency servers hoping to run into competent people is going to get you nowhere.

+1 for joining a community. A good community will have proper mature players, most likely use mods that improves the game 100% and makes fun missions. The only slightly fun public multiplayer in arma is the RPG servers. Obviously proper RPG communities with mods/acre/task force radio is again a million times better. So short response to OP is join a community. Don't know why anyone would buy any Arma game just to play on public servers. You're missing out BIG TIME.

I expected to have some structure in the MP like a Black Hawk Down type of scenario, where you had bad guys in a town and you had to go and extract a VIP or something. I always saw so many amazing looking ARMA 2 MP videos of teams all working together and it actually looked like it could be a missions from real life with how it was structured. Sadly though I've learnt that these missions are only available if you have friends who play the game because there is no structure to the MP at all.

Lol, guys who operate effectively in a real-life Blackhawk Down scenario have months/years of experience under their belts. People who hop on a dedicated server, even in a mission structured to encourage that kind of gameplay, do not have any of the skills needed to do that, even though it's just a video game. Find a squad that's been around for awhile, has a good-sized & friendly player base, and who know what they're doing and you'll be set!

I agree that join a community is the best thing to do, BUT I also agree with the OP. The default mission pack are too weak and boring. There should be A LOT more default missions and game modes so new comers would enjoy the game a lot more and then seek a community to play with.

I agree and disagree with the OP..it isn't so much the servers altho a lot of them run very basic stuff,alot of it is the people that join and continually cause havoc in the servers..some in wreck a few things then leave...best thing to do is find a server you like and stick with it..get to know the admins and regulars..I cant say enough about the game..I really enjoy it and think BI did a great job on...personally I run a server with just the basic game with Insurgency up right now..for the most part its been a blast but their are times I have to re-star it because somebody decided to go through and wreck all the vehices..wich just makes it worse for everybody....so I can see the OPs point of view to some degree.

JC

Lol, guys who operate effectively in a real-life Blackhawk Down scenario have months/years of experience under their belts. People who hop on a dedicated server, even in a mission structured to encourage that kind of gameplay, do not have any of the skills needed to do that, even though it's just a video game. Find a squad that's been around for awhile, has a good-sized & friendly player base, and who know what they're doing and you'll be set!

I don't know what's so funny about the OPs assumption.

What kind of skills are you talking about? People on public servers are not inferior to players on private servers. It has nothing to do with skills, it's about incentives to play cooperatively. Americas Army was a good example. It was hard and somewhat complex, but you could still play on public servers all night. Many missions in ArmA start out with a premise like "huge island, lots of weapons, go for it." That's just not enough. There has to be some kind of purpose, a narrative or whatever. ArmA 3 is, imho, not realistic enough to be played like a simulator (i.e. not caring for a immersive setting, just having fun operating the equipment ... no inside view of tanks, no weapon resting, hilarious grenade throwing, terrible flight model, you know the limitations). Clans surely can create their own missions/scenarios and play the game the way they like, but that is, like so many things, extra work by the community. BIS is lucky to have so many creative and devoted members in their community that there is ANYTHING worthy to play.

If I hadn't played everything by BI since OFP:CWC (yes, even TOH and TOM) and stumbled across ArmA 3, I also would have expected many different multiplayer scenarios, playable on public servers: Convoys, guerilla warfare, assassinations (with one side protecting the target), dogfights with jets, hunting/rushing to help a downed helicopter crew, HUGE battles with hundreds of AI, etc.

The fact that ArmA 3 is nothing but a giant sandbox might be intuitive to everyone playing the series for a while, but new players are of course discouraged by the lack of content. Especially if the first thing they read on the forums is that the standard multiplayer is basically unplayable right off the bat, that they have to download x mods, y missions and join a gaming community to have fun. And also by the fact that the idea of just jumping on a server and playing the game is laughed off by the community.

Every game is more fun with a group of friends. That's kind of obvious and ArmA is of course no exception, it just shouldn't be a requirement.

So in the end, I have to agree with the OP. I also think that the game alone sucks, there is just no substitution.

I will say there are several Insurgency servers... just filter and where it says Mission type, type in Insurgency and about 20-30 servers will pop up.. I will say i miss playing Domination there arent enough of those servers.

its arma ... expecting those situations like in the videos just from simply playing it is like playing css and wondering why youre not able to shoot everytime into the head even if you already played 2 mins ...

Search a group or join the well managed public servers of those groups

both is applicable