Fragmagnet

So my arma lags everytime I start it untill I alt tab out and back in.

As the title says, every time I start arma 3, it runs at about a quarter of my normal fps and the fullscreen gamma is not applied, alt tabbing out and back in fixes this however.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

And reinstalling did not fix it.

Neither did disabling the steam overlay.

Turning off shadowplay doesn't fix it.

Turning off SLI doesn't fix it.

Turns out that shadowplay was causing the massive FPS drop.

With shadowplay on.

Before tabbing out to fix I get 17-40 fps in the menu.

After tabbing out to fix I get 160.

With shadowplay off

Before tabbing out to fix I get 240-260 fps in the menu.

After tabbing out to fix I get 320-400 fps in the menu.

However the issue is not completely fixed in that I still have to tab out and back in to apply the gamma settings.

And the FPS difference is STILL there. But shadowplay was causing the super low part of it.

Edited by Fragmagnet

You've provided no information about your computer at all, you won't get much help unless people know what you're working with.

Well I don't think it has anything to do with my comp since this just started happening a few days ago.

But

CPU: i5-2300

Ram: 6gb

GPU: SLI GTX 660s

This happens to me as well when I'm testing a dedi on stable branch. It's an old issue from Arma 2 that they fix and then periodically pops up again.

1 - Launch dedi

2 - Join as client

3 - FPS locked at 30 until I alt tab

Custom mission - also I do use v-sync so it prob has something to do with that. I've got TIR so need to use v-sync to stop tearing. Specs in my sig. :)

Still not enough information, what software are you using? GPU driver revision, windows version etc.

I'm using all the most recent non-beta builds.

It was all fine and dandy until a few days ago.

GPU drivers are 332.21

Windows version is 7 home premium and updated to whatever version windows update has it at.

I've also tried turning off SLI, once again doesn't fix it.

edit.

Turns out that shadowplay was causing the massive FPS drop.

With shadowplay on.

Before tabbing out to fix I get 17-40 fps in the menu.

After tabbing out to fix I get 160.

With shadowplay off

Before tabbing out to fix I get 240-260 fps in the menu.

After tabbing out to fix I get 320-400 fps in the menu.

The gamma is still not applied until I tab out and back in though.

Edited by Fragmagnet

Oddly enough this is happening to me.

My FPS previewing in the editor and playing on my server will be around 22-30. The second I alt+tab and enter the game again, it skyrockets up 50+.

I've replicated this on three separate ARMA missions. All of them do this. And I don't think it's my in-game FPS reader not working, because the game is noticeably slow and sluggish and choppy until I do this. That's how I noticed there was a problem to begin with. My missions were suddenly not playing well and I couldn't figure out why.

Windows 10

Alienware Alpha i5 4590T

GTX 860 M (overclocked with MSI Afterburner. Core +135. Memory +300)

8 GB RAM

Background apps when playing: MSI, Xpadder, Steam, Logitech Set Point. All anti-virus gets disabled when playing ARMA. I do not have GeForce Experience or Shadowplay even installed on my PC.

I'll provide any additional information I can, though bare in mind I'm a bit computer illiterate.

Do you run vanilla Arma 3 or use mods?

I don't even know what vanilla ARMA is any more. :)

Yeah, I run mods. Not a super mega ton but enough. Do you think mods could cause something like this?

I don't even know what vanilla ARMA is any more. :)

Yeah, I run mods. Not a super mega ton but enough. Do you think mods could cause something like this?

Some mods can be incompatible with other mods, perhaps tell us which mods you are using?

I get this issue sometimes playing on certain servers. For example Sa-Matra Wasteland servers, i'll get terrible FPS after awhile, and alt tabbing helps. They use RHS, HLC, and a few other mods. Though, i haven't played on their servers for awhile, took a brake from Arma, but ill do some testing today to see if the issue still persists. No idea why Alt tabbing boosts the FPS during long sessions, this is a serious issue i hope they fix.

Specs

- Y500 Lenovo Laptop

-NVIDIA GeForce GT650M

-Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8-CPU's) 2.4 GHz

-8GB RAM

Some mods can be incompatible with other mods, perhaps tell us which mods you are using?

Most recently, missions include:

CBA, AiA/CUP, some A2 map, CAF Aggressors, Massi's NATO Russian Weapons, Massi's NATO Russian Vehicles, Massi's UKSF (vehicles version), 3CB Vehicles, CAF Aggressors audio patch, SpydersAddons, ALiVE, Shacktac UI

I get this issue sometimes playing on certain servers. For example Sa-Matra Wasteland servers, i'll get terrible FPS after awhile, and alt tabbing helps. They use RHS, HLC, and a few other mods. Though, i haven't played on their servers for awhile, took a brake from Arma, but ill do some testing today to see if the issue still persists. No idea why Alt tabbing boosts the FPS during long sessions, this is a serious issue i hope they fix.

Specs

- Y500 Lenovo Laptop

-NVIDIA GeForce GT650M

-Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8-CPU's) 2.4 GHz

-8GB RAM

This doesn't just happen for me on my server. It happens in the editor too.

I have not. I honestly didn't even consider mod conflicts causing this. I suspected something more along the lines of background apps or out of date drivers. You know, something PC related conflicting specifically with ARMA.

I'll check.

Well I'll be damned. I only spent around 20 minutes with this, but indeed, placing a single unit down in the editor on Stratis with no mods does not appear to have any FPS issues when alt+tabbing.

I'd definitely say it either must be a mod conflict, or perhaps my video card when playing under heavy load at this point. I don't really see how it could be anything else.

Well I'll be damned. I only spent around 20 minutes with this, but indeed, placing a single unit down in the editor on Stratis with no mods does not appear to have any FPS issues when alt+tabbing.

I'd definitely say it either must be a mod conflict, or perhaps my video card when playing under heavy load at this point. I don't really see how it could be anything else.

Certainly sounds like a mod conflict, not all mods will work well together.

Yeah I guess for me to really know one way or the other would be to add mods back in one by one.

It's such a strange phenomenon. You'd think that if a mod was conflicting with another mod, it wouldn't care or fix itself by alt+tabbing. A conflict is a conflict.

But that said, I don't really know or understand what the act of alt+tabbing does to an operating system/video card/drivers/etc.

I'm picturing this like I used to when I was a kid and smacked my Nintendo and it suddenly "worked." Obviously something within the actual act of alt+tabbing is temporarily resolving the symptom. But it obviously doesn't cure it.

Very very strange. Hopefully I'll find the motivation to test this further and then report it to the proper mod maker. But doing this is so tedious. :(

Thanks for the help guys.

alt tab might unload something from the memory or stop some script from running and it takes a moment to it to load back up or a script to continue.

Starting mods one by one is the way to go. Let us know what you find out!

Ahhh!!!!

In the editor. Kunduz Afghanistan. My overclocking is turned off. No scripts are running. Plunk a BLUFOR and nothing else down on an empty map and the issue is still happening.

I'm at a total loss here. Now, I did have mods in my mod line. My intent was to make a mission but seeing as I was on an empty map, I decided it would be a good time to check in on the issue.

Are mods technically running when placing a BLUFOR down on a map even if they haven't been used yet (other than Kunduz, obviously)?

Are mods technically running when placing a BLUFOR down on a map even if they haven't been used yet (other than Kunduz, obviously)?

Depends on the mods used. Some addons may add eventhandlers that are running on the BLUFOR unit in question (such as ACE/AGM/CSE). The only way to tell for definite is to try it COMPLETELY mod-free.

• Like 1