Sign in to follow this  
tvamvarg

Analogue steering (dev branch)

Trying out the steering, very nice with my MadCatz Xbox 360 wheel/pedals. And it seems that "Car Forward/Back (incl Fast)" works with analogue pedals as well, even though it's not spelled out - maybe it has always been that way?

Tip - if using pedals for forward/back, the gas pedal should be mapped to "Car fast forward" otherwise max speed cannot be reached without pressing an extra key.

But why does the wheel not work for tracked vehicles (haven't tried all of them but this seems to be the 'logic' here...)? I know there isn't a 'wheel' as such in tanks, but it's definitely analogue, no? And by the same logic the quadbike shouldn't get analogue steering either... Well just include all road vehicles, thanks.

Good work again BIS - now Arma 3 is almost a driving sim as well ;)

And by the same logic the quadbike shouldn't get analogue steering either.

And what logic is that? You do realize that mechanics of steering are the same in cars and quadbikes and they differs only by "steering wheel's" shape? And you cannot say that about tracked vehicles - they're steering differently than cars. They're steering not by turning it's front wheels around it's vertical axis but by driving it's left and right tracks with different speeds.

And they sometimes use the same kind of steering device, so there's part of your logic. I am not an expert but I don't think modern tanks are steered by two sticks - one for each track - as some old russian stuff was. So I think the burden of proof is on the other side to describe why a steering wheel would not work for tracks going at different speeds. I guess you'd also wouldn't want pedals to work for forward/breaking then?

Regardless of differences and similarities, the point was that I see no reason why tracked vehicles could not also be turned by an analogue wheel, it should work plenty fine. Standing still while turning the wheel could rotate the tank, no problem as far as I can see.

Also, I see no configuration setting for 'tracked vehicles forward/back' as opposed to 'car forward/back' so there's another point to make.

Thirdly (or wherever I am in the count) even if a steering wheel was connected, it's not as someone jumping into a tank and had some other keybind as well would mistakenly turn the wheel and be pissed that the tank turned...

But let me say I'm still open to counter-arguments that describe a reason why it shouldn't be.

Edited by tvamvarg

And they sometimes use the same kind of steering device, so there's part of your logic. I am not an expert but I don't think modern tanks are steered by two sticks - one for each track - as some old russian stuff was. So I think the burden of proof is on the other side to describe why a steering wheel would not work for tracks going at different speeds. I guess you'd also wouldn't want pedals to work for forward/breaking then?

Regardless of differences and similarities, the point was that I see no reason why tracked vehicles could not also be turned by an analogue wheel, it should work plenty fine. Standing still while turning the wheel could rotate the tank, no problem as far as I can see.

Also, I see no configuration setting for 'tracked vehicles forward/back' as opposed to 'car forward/back' so there's another point to make.

Thirdly (or wherever I am in the count) even if a steering wheel was connected, it's not as someone jumping into a tank and had some other keybind as well would mistakenly turn the wheel and be pissed that the tank turned...

But let me say I'm still open to counter-arguments that describe a reason why it shouldn't be.

Leopard 2 has a steering wheel plus two pedals (brake and gas) as far as I know.

Gears are automatic except it has a selector for reverse/forward/neutral or something like that. Also a handbrake plus turning signals on those whiskers next to the steering wheel.

Edited by Xendance

Sorry for reviving this post (although it is less than 4 months old); if the below is not relevant feel free to move to anew post.

Problem: No analogue control of reverse vehicle movement.

Description: The "Car forward fast" binding, when mapped to an analogue controller's axis, works just fine once you get out of the controller's deadzone; you can set the vehicle's max speed depending on how far you push the stick/throttle/etc. But the "Car back" binding, when likewise mapped, is different outside the deadzone; here the vehicle always accelerates until reaching its top reverse speed, regardless of how far you push the stick/throttle/etc.

Question: Am I using incorrect vehicle control bindings for cars, or is this just an issue with the Hunter vehicle I tested (always reverses at -55 Kph regardless of controller input), or is this an ongoing issue that is yet to be fixed? If so, is there a corresponding bug on the feedback tracker I can follow or should I open a new one?

In relation to this; Yesterday I discovered that (I was in the "MBT-52 Kuma" tank) if I assign my G27 Throttle Pedal to "Car Fast Forward" command, the axis will not use the advanced Controller settings such as Sensitivity and Dead Zone. It ignores them.

If I assign My G27 throttle Pedal to "Car Forward" command, it will use the advanced Controller settings. However, at 100% throttle, this command will not give me the full speed that the vehicle can go, I have to press a "Turbo" key at the same time, which defeats the purpose of using pedals.

Again, relating to poor vehicle physics implementation this vehicle (MBT-52 Kuma and other tracked) is also very, very hard to drive slowly...or creep (which is hugely important for multiple, human crew operations.) It's like the tank has a minimum "on power" speed of 16kph. It is impossible to creep along at, say, 5 kph. And then, when the tank gets over 16kph it almost feels like a cruise control kicks in and it starts to run away.

As I keep saying, this stuff was fine in Arma2/Operation Arrowhead...it's quite frustrating....Is it too much to expect a sequel to at least match the functionality of the previous game?

It's caused by a bug we have on our list. Car Forward/Back - when mapped to analog input - should use the whole range of the vehicle (incl. what currently can only be achieved by Fast Forward), mapping two concurrent actions to one axis (or vice versa - more axes to one action) should generally be avoided. When you have analog input you already have a precise control over the acceleration and you don't need any "speed" modifier.

It's caused by a bug we have on our list. Car Forward/Back - when mapped to analog input - should use the whole range of the vehicle (incl. what currently can only be achieved by Fast Forward), mapping two concurrent actions to one axis (or vice versa - more axes to one action) should generally be avoided. When you have analog input you already have a precise control over the acceleration and you don't need any "speed" modifier.

Good to hear! Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

I don't want to push my luck, but I have to at least ask :o :

Would it possible if you could give us any idea of any plans to work on improving the vehicle Physx implementation in the future, to get them up to Arma2 OA standard? Or at least possible fixes for the big bugs like tanks not being able to drive in a straight line? Or the overly tough/rigid suspension on tracked vehicles?

I am always criticizing Arma3's vehicles, but I think it is fair that I should point out the good ones. I have used the AFV-4 Gorgon a few times now and that vehicle probably feels the best so far. I can't really think of anything wrong with it. I would be happy if all Arma3s vehicles where up to this standard.

Thanks for any info. :)