Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Exactly that was suggested not so long ago. Tried, but problem is, only to one amongst the three possible SMG flashlight may be actually attached. So code is in place, but you'll get flashligt only, if Sting SMG was randomized for you. I can add flashlight directly to the inventory, without attaching, but this would not change much, without Sting you could use it only, if you obtain another weapon. From the other hand, adding NVG to normal difficulty is too much. Another option is a bit weird - to force Sting SMG at night. I can do that, if people want, but to me it is a bit silly or rather, as said, weird.

Ah, i see, point taken. Well, forcing the sting at night could be an option. There are times near dawn or dusk where it`s dark, but definately playable without any source of light. But if it`s pitch black, restarting the game is pretty much all you can do, except of you are absolute saddistic. So for me that option wouldn`t have that much of an impact, as i just keep manually restarting the game anyways.

Oh and for anyone playing with the russians mod: It breaks Pilgrimage since the latest version. I get an error when starting the mission and the splashscreen just stays there. Saving and reloading kind of works, but then the sound is broken.

Well, I had been playing offline for about two weeks on my latest go around. Last night I was chatting via Steam (online) with a friend and decided to play a little more. Now this evening Steam decides to update Arma and now I cannot load my "resume" option. Is there anyway to revert Arma back? Is there an edit that can be done in the saved game files to continue? I had so much money and Ammo saved up not mention I finally got my hands on a SNIPER SCOPE!.

Thanks.

Is there anyway to revert Arma back?

AFAIK - No. :(

If saved games may be edited anyhow, eg to allow that, this would need knowledge, I do not possess.

chik, it doesn't help in your current situation but you can deactivate automatic updates in Steam for the future. This way you can at least ensure that this was the last savegame you lost due to an unwanted update.

I disabled automatic updates so that this didn't happen to me. Unfortunately Steam didn't remember so the game updated and I lost my saved game.

The file could probably be edited to make it run, but this will probably cause other problems so probably isn't worth the effort.

I have lost a couple of very interesting missions this way already.

HI Guys,

I noticed 2 problems that have occurred with the recent mainline 1.24x update:

1. When you load the mission (eg v1.85c beta3) you get the "Pilgrimage" graphic on the screen but it does not then fade out and move into the mission, and

2. The 'sound bug' that has occurred in some earlier versions is back.

Issue 1. When you load you get the intro graphic, which does then not disappear. I't doesn't fade into 1st person view, the logo just stays on the screen with a black background. You can work around this by hitting the "ESC" key and saving the mission then hitting "ESC" again and loading that saved progress point. Also you can save and exit then resume and it has the same effect (just takes longer). I worked back a few versions (I think to 1.79c) in order to find a version that was not affected by this issue under the current mainline Arma3 release.

Issue 2. When you load the mission there are no in game sounds, other than the system sounds associated with selecting options in the menu system. So, in the context of issue 1 above, you get the black screen with the logo and silence. After you implement the workaround above, the issue persists. So you can run around and shoot your weapon but there is no sound.

I would be interested if anyone else has the same issue and any ideas work working around or solving the problem.

Thanks,

Jas.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Further to the above I disabled the following add-ons and got it to work: @A3MP, @CAF_AG1.5, @sud_russians_v36, @Switch weapons while moving. So I assume one of these has an add-on conflict with the mission. I will update when I have time to test them all. My money is on @A3MP.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

Interesting. I'm in the mission and some of the AI factions appear to be fighting each other. Cool. :cool:

Both described issues, often followed by a lag, are effect of the huge scripts exec delays, apparently due to some bad things happen during initial massive units spawn under disabled simulation, then enabling the simulation, if some certain unit/vehicle addons are used. CPU seems choking then for some reason. So far didn't discovered, what exactly in such addons is causing that, I can only guess, it is something with the particular config of custom units. Perhaps some custom units have in their config init script to run, like uniform randomizer etc. So if you spawn 1000 AIs, then enable simulation, even gradually, suddenly there is 1000 scripts to run nearly simultanously. Maybe design of these hipotetical scripts makes a difference here. Some, like Aggressors and African Conflict, seems not affected (I'm using those without such problems), so my first guess would be @sud_russians_v36.

Interesting. I'm in the mission and some of the AI factions appear to be fighting each other. Cool.

If you enabled Ambient Combat - that's what it does amongst other things. :)

Edited by Rydygier

The issues Big_Jas describe are definately mod related. As ive written on the last page ive had the same issue as well with the russians mod enabled. Further investigating the issue i found other mods to break Pilgrimage as well, like VME_PLA and CAF_Agressors. It seems like something changed regarding weapon configs and most mods need to be updated. As to why this leads to the splashscreen not fading out and the sound not working... i have no idea, but you definately need to be careful what mods youre using if you want to play Pilgrimage at the moment.

Great feedback thanks guys. I think Pilgrimage is one of the best missions on Arma 3 Steam (and here) at the moment. I enjoy playing it. I was dissappointed when changes with the 1.24x release caused a conflict and impacted game play. Now I think the standard approach is to play the game with only the minimal mods turned on and only enable them when required for a specific mission.

Thanks Rydygier and Kavoriken. :)

Jas.

Yeah, modding something, that is still under dynamic development is risky. IMO many things in the future will be broken and fixed back by subsequent patches. Thus some problems is better just to wait out instead of trying to find a workaround immediately for something, that most probably will be/should be fixed soon anyway. But some cases are improvements, that are not backward compatible so although these are breaking things, will stay.

BTW If you look at threads with wishes and complaints... It is always a conflict - improvements versus backward compatibility. People want changes for better, but in the same time they don't want any existing content be broken. People eg want more complex AI, but don't want pay the price in performance for it. And so forth. People want everything for nothing. Personally, I prefer improvements, even if due to them official playable content like campaign will be broken.

Just curious, has anyone played with Ambient Combat and TPW Skirmish at the same time? Just wondering if there are any issues. I think it would be fun to have at least one friendly faction on the island.

This mission is fantastic. It's simple, but still dynamic enough to surprise you. The goal itself is excellent as well; it has meaning and gives you just enough direction to start wandering around the island when you don't have any "real" missions to do.

Thanks. I'm glad, you like it.

BTW... Excellent choice of the nickname. It made my morning. :)

That's great. Thanks a lot. Can I link it in the first post?

Not read yet, will do ASAP, one thing found however: a typo in my nickname... :P

All right, I'm after first part, it's very well done indeed. Some notes so far:

Rydygier recommends the following mods:

- Bigger Trunk addon (experimental);

- INCOGNITO addon (alpha6: experimental) - Description;

- TPW MODS;

- unlocked uniforms;

- any preferred low level AI enhancers;

- any preferred sound and graphical FX enhancers.

"- description" - delete.

Could be added link to this thread, as links to some of these addons exists only in the first post.

- even without mods installed there are sometimes on-screen config error messages. In this case the best

solution is to restart the mission.

This problem was solved. I hope...

17. PROPER AMMO IN LOOT

- When a weapon is found, will provide some correct ammo for it

- Weapons are more often found around military installations

Second sentence in general is true, but in this context seems, like this setting controls, if weapon may be found in the military installations more often, which isn't true. I would recommend rephrase this.

- circle intel is gained from officers at strongholds/airfields as well as from carrying out assassination

side missions for civilians

In fact circle intel may be given from any source. Just it is very rare for not listed here sources. How rare - that's exactly, what this setting controls. As for warlords - circle intel is guaranteed unless comnpletely disabled.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

And the rest:

To load the body into the vehicle, drive the vehicle to within 10m of the body, get out and in the action menu

scroll down to the action that loads the body onto the vehicle.

May be a bit confusing without info, this load action is attached to the body, so when (pointing) at the body action menu must be scrolled.

On arrival at the boat, drive the vehicle to within 300m of the boat,

It's 30, but body may be loaded also directly into the boat, if is closer than 200 from the boat. Reasonable, when body is close to the shore, so Alex can bring the boat to it.

These are spread randomly across the map, but in general near roads, and not in towns. There are about 50

empty vehicles, both soft and armored,to find. These are taken from all land military vehicles in the config but

there are more soft vehicles (30-49), than armoured (only 2-3)although the chances are random.

After consideration added also civilian vehicles (useful when playing with INCOGNITO).

You can hitch hike with a

vehicle and your AI companion as long as he is within 50m of you.

It is 250. For assigned vehicles and companions. Same for hideout travel.

Camps are often AAF, but can be CSAT.

These are always AAF.

Currently it is that way, until group become aware that the player is near.

Then all scattered soldiers will try to rejoin group formation.

AFAIK I changed that, so they'll stay on place - a bit more reasonable to me. But probably each game load in such situation will somehow break/reset that "forcespeed 0" command, so then they'll act, as you described.

Same trick is

used for soldiers at sandbags at checkpoint. Soldiers in town may be "glued" in position by forcing 0 speed.

So they'll stay in place always.

This part shouldn't be here?

First waypoint is placed closer to the

player (100-600 meters), which increases chance for a battle between groups not far from the player. If

That rule was discarded to avoid too player-centric battles.

3) Vehicles captured from roadblocks are unlikely to despawn

In fact, shouldn't happen at all.

There is same typo in my nickname in the few more places (should be y, not i).

Great compilation of useful data. :)

Could be added link to this thread, as links to some of these addons exists only in the first post.

links have been added for the recommended mods

These are always AAF.

I confused myself here as the camp called in the chopper which attacked me (on foot & running for cover) then I remembered, I didn't have ambient combat turned on and the AAF & CSAT would have been allies on that occasion.

There is same typo in my nickname in the few more places (should be y, not i).

5 corrections made :-)

The other comments have been amended in line with your comments. The second draft is now available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7034905/Pilgrimage%20Guide%20Second%20Draft.pdf

I will proof read through the document tomorrow and if all is OK the final document should be ready.

Great. :) I assume, would be OK to add link for final document in the first post of this thread for better visibility?

Great. :) I assume, would be OK to add link for final document in the first post of this thread for better visibility?

I have completed version 1 which is at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7034905/Pilgrimage%20Guide%20ver%201.0.pdf It would be OK for a link to be added to the first post.

I have learnt a lot by doing this. I will no longer waste time at an airfield searching for a captive. I also think that the tracking of the player is an awesome feature. It has happened to me in the past, when I have seen recon troops watching me from a distance. Once I spotted them after a vehicle had investigated my position, and another time I spotted them at the same time as a squad heading to my position. I wonder how much grief they have caused me without me spotting them?

Yeah, it's rare, but happened to me once too, I think. I was searching the town, when in the short time came there: motorized patrol, chopper and sniper team, the cause of all this, I suppose. They must predict well judging by my trail, to which interesting location (this town) I may be heading.

alky_lee, thanks for putting this document together. I just wanted to quickly browse through the text and then I found myself actually studying it like a textbook. It is well-written without any unnecessary fluff and it makes me want to start a new game just to concentrate on features I have missed or ignored until now.

Rydygier, perhaps the guide could be published inside the mission similar to the field manual in addition to the pdf-format? This might help scoring a few extra points in the competition.

Hmm. I do not know, how to make field manual-like implementation and it is not my work although contains some of my explanations. Anyway, that would be something outside the mission, most probably in addon form, so no go for MANW. However, if alky-lee agree, I could add this pdf into the mission's package except, of course, Workshop version, where it is impossible.

Something I have found that has not been spoken of, there is a place you can re-arm vehicle ammo. Not sure if I should say, Rydygier might take it away! hahahaha

You know, island is populated randomly each play, so there is no any particular point on the map, you can show and say "here it is!". But in the same time you're right. :) It's not planned "secret", just a side effect, that most probably will stay, because - why not. It's limited enough, so shouldn't destroy the balance, and if someone managed to figure this out, why not to reward him? I still may decide to reduce amount of ammo, it provides, 10 full reloads for GMG Hunter is a bit too much... It is up to you, if you want to share your knowledge with the others or allow them to discover it on their own. :)

Edited by Rydygier