Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Code looks for buildings in 300 meters radius around central point (for airfields - where chopper is landing).

That is a huge help! I was skipping some buildings that were across the road a ways, but still inside that radius. Thanks!

-Doc

I've taken down an airfield and a military installation, but no officers found in or around either. They must be running like cowards. :-) In the latter, I saw a "Squadron Leader" running away on the map, never to be seen again. On the airfield, I observed one man run away but didn't see what type of unit he was. Probably coincidence, but I also find that the Team Leaders are the first to run away when under attack ... they usually come back, but always seem to be the first to chicken out and run. I know that's ARMA and not the mission. I just think it's funny.

-Doc

Well, apparently finding officers with valuable info isn't easy. Good. :)

"Dev branch" upgraded to 1.75 beta:

- AIs, that surrendered, are now 3D-marked - useful for finding individuals to interrogate and gather their loot, when defeated group was scattered;

- improved clean up function for ambient combat: was reported increasing performance drop due to accumulating on the battlefield not removed weaponholders with stuff of dead soldiers. Now weaponholders near each body are removed as well;

- old and far bodies apart from ambient combat, along with their weaponholders, will be now deleted too (so do not leave anything valuable at or near the body if you want to go far away);

- on Alpha radio channel (0-0-1) now forced clean up: manual immediate removal of all dead bodies with near weaponholders, wrecks and empty groups.

Edited by Rydygier

Well, apparently finding officers with valuable info isn't easy. Good. :)

"Dev branch" upgraded to 1.75 beta:

- AIs, that surrendered, are now 3D-marked - useful for finding individuals to interrogate and gather their loot, when defeated group was scattered;

- improved clean up function for ambient combat: was reported increasing performance drop due to accumulating on the battlefield not removed weaponholders with stuff of dead soldiers. Now weaponholders near each body are removed as well;

- old and far bodies apart from ambient combat, along with their weaponholders, will be now deleted too (so do not leave anything valuable at or near the body if you want to go far away);

- on Alpha radio channel (0-0-1) now forced clean up: manual immediate removal of all dead bodies with near weaponholders, wrecks and empty groups.

Nice update Rydygier, downloading now! Guess i'll be playing this tomorrow. I don't mind starting over because i like playing this so much. ;)

Nice update Rydygier, downloading now! Guess i'll be playing this tomorrow. I don't mind starting over because i like playing this so much. ;)

I feel the same way. I am a terrible brother in fact. Every time I play I hope I don't find him at the next church.

I feel the same way. I am a terrible brother in fact. Every time I play I hope I don't find him at the next church.

LOL, are we related? ;)

Every time I play I hope I don't find him at the next church.

:D

Often, immediately after waking up, I experience something, that may be called "a moment of genius". In this brief flash of mind, sometimes I realize something obvious, that I completely forgot or missed yesterday. Today it was one thing - in the newest beta cleaner code had no exception for body of the brother, so that body was removed too... So, although obviously this "feature" meets your hopes, guys, I updated beta with proper exception. :(

Edited by Rydygier

Often, immediately after waking up, I experience something, that may be called "a moment of genius". In this brief flash of mind, sometimes I realize something obvious, that I completely forgot or missed yesterday. Today it was one thing - in the newest beta cleaner code had no exception for body of the brother, so that body was removed too... So, although obviously this "feature" meets your hopes, guys, I updated beta with proper exception. :(

Gutted! For the first time playing i came across a lovely KMW Leopard, and massacred a camp, sadly i must let it go and restart the mission. Oh well! :D

... "feature" meets your hopes, guys, I updated beta with proper exception. :(

no rush my friend. ;)

Rydygier, when cleaning up the bodies, the dead body markers get cleaned up to. Not that i'm bothered but thought i'd mention it in case you weren't aware. So far so good, loving it! ;)

the dead body markers get cleaned up to.

Yes, intended that way.

in the map the red circle with ETA time is????

Run! :) It appears when some arty shoots at you. Added that debug to help at least in this way in struggle with hostile mortars. It shows you from where mortar is firing, roghly where shell with hit the ground, how much time you have etc. Obviously this may show up only if you enable hostile artillery in init settings.

Hello,

I finished my second campaign with 1.72. As always, lots of fun, and a few suggestions if I may.

* On my way back to to boat, I came across an HMG MRAP and decided to move all the inventory into it and use it as transport to get back to the boat faster (I don't normally use armed transport because it's too easy that way). I think you know where this is going, I arrive to the boat, start trying to load the body, then remember that it was loaded into that other vehicle. So I come back but see no way to move the body from one vehicle to the other. So what would happen if that vehicle with the remains was disabled or even destroyed? Mission failure?

* I still haven't found a use for my awesome explosive skills. One stronghold had a few mines nearby on a beach, easily avoidable. Encouraging us to use these skills by making a minefield leading to some house with uber loot is rather pointless, not with the current vehicle inventory limits, I can't even afford to carry a sniper rifle around. Maybe there is a bit of room left on the settings screen to let us choose the starting class?

* I rescued two captives. One of them was a "rifleman (light)" which is not very useful. How about making him a repairman? Sure there is this "inspect vehicle for 1000 ff" option, but it is too unreliable, I have no idea when it becomes available. I had one vehicle being shot up to red state with no way to fix it, no "1000 ff" option, no mechanic on the team, I wasted half an hour trying to find a TPW civilian vehicle (a bit my fault though, I reduced their frequency greatly in the TPW setup, when you don't need them you feel like there are way too many of them around). I've tried to figure out when this options appears, sometimes I have it in the field, sometimes in a city, sometimes at a gas stations, sometimes not, sometimes when the vehicle is damaged and at other times when it is at 100%. So I'd rather have a reliable option to repair stuff.

* If it's not too hard, can we have a "switch to team member" option? It would greatly help with managing their inventories, as well as helping when they drive and get stuck on a lonely tree in the desert.

* This time around I've had 4 green circles. Now, on one hand I like to fight for "hard areas" like the strongholds and airfields, just for the heck of it, on the other I am starting to think that the green circles I am getting as "loot" there are shortening the campaign a bit too much. If for instance regular squad leaders gave info on 2-3 churches max, the stronghold/airfield officers about 10 chruches + enemy activity + 1 stronghold, and if nobody gave green circles, it may help the campaign last longer. An option for more limited intel would be nice imho. I'd rather they gave an ammo box with guaranteed rockets and MG mags (with tracers of course :) ) instead of green circles.

* Loot: any way to limit the vehicles we find in the field (the 1200 intel ones) to only civilian ones, and then spawn military ones only as prizes in strongholds/airfields? Also, one thing I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask: do military vehicles like MRAPs and tanks have door keys? These prize vehicles can be locked until one pries the key off the commanding officer's cold dead hands.

* I am playing with kill markers on "own kills". Some units don't leave gray kill markers on the map even though I am sure I am the one who killed them a few seconds ago. This never happened before the Ambient Conflict feature. I suppose that these are the new enemies that are spawning for this ambient war?

Keep up the good work.

Edited by neofit

So what would happen if that vehicle with the remains was disabled or even destroyed? Mission failure?

If destroyed, you can't finish the mission (is assumed, body is destroyed along with its carrier, burned or whatever), although you can play further, if you want. If disabled - you can repair it by inspect action. Just load body to the vehicle, that suits you and guard it well. I would like to avoid another complications with action to move the body from one vehicle to another.

I rescued two captives. One of them was a "rifleman (light)" which is not very useful. How about making him a repairman?

Easy to do and not bad idea.

Maybe there is a bit of room left on the settings screen to let us choose the starting class?

It is not about free room, but amount of current options. I really preffer to avoid too many options. Bah, current amount is "too many" for me already so I'm very reluctant about adding next settings. And IMO gaining certain abilities should be more challenging than choosing init option. Optional medic AI is easy enough. Another medic may be released, and repair man will be added as a second captive - that should cover all interesting specialities, I think.

One stronghold had a few mines nearby on a beach, easily avoidable.

:) Yeah, there isn't much minefields on the map (this will not change, I think), but note, it is thanks to your speciality you was able to spot these mines reliably, thus avoid them easily, so yes, you found use for explosive skills in this moment. Some also like to place mines here and there.

Sure there is this "inspect vehicle for 1000 ff" option, but it is too unreliable, I have no idea when it becomes available.

In newer versions it is easier to predict:

1. A vehicle in possesion;

2. Must be something to do (fuel below 90%, damage above 10%, immobilized or destroyed main gun);

3. Player close enough to the vehicle (< 6 meters);

4. Enough ff (>1000);

5. You don't know any enemy at the moment (assumed as combat/danger).

Was removed sixth condition, that was source of unpredictability - if any enemy knows about you.

If it's not too hard, can we have a "switch to team member" option? It would greatly help with managing their inventories, as well as helping when they drive and get stuck on a lonely tree in the desert.

Good idea, thought about that, not sure, why not implemented. Easy to do, I think.

if nobody gave green circles, it may help the campaign last longer. An option for more limited intel would be nice imho.

Others seems to like these circles, I like them too and I do not like adding new settings, especially so specific. :) I don't know, I can make them more rare except special cases like stronghold commanders and side missions... Anyway, gameplay may last as long, as you like.

any way to limit the vehicles we find in the field (the 1200 intel ones) to only civilian ones, and then spawn military ones only as prizes in strongholds/airfields?

Do not fit my concept, I'm affraid. These should be military vehicles, not civilian. As for strongholds - you have armored vehicle(s) at each. Well, these are manned, but this is only minor and temporary obstacle, isn't? :)

Also, one thing I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask: do military vehicles like MRAPs and tanks have door keys? These prize vehicles can be locked until one pries the key off the commanding officer's cold dead hands.

Hmm. Overly complicated IMO. Doable, but frankly, if you manage to make the crew disembark, they most probably are already dead men, so obtaining keys would be pure formality in most cases. Besides - who is so insane to lock own vehicle in use, especially during combat? And if commander will be killed inside? Nah.

This never happened before the Ambient Conflict feature. I suppose that these are the new enemies that are spawning for this ambient war?

Every unit gets proper code. Ambient combat units too. Rarely saw this, thought it was due to one of TPW's features. Or maybe Killed EH fails sometimes (for sure fails for infamous UGV, so we do not see Alex' comment on UGV's death). Not certain.

Thanks for great feedback.

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

1.75beta updated:

- second recruitable character is now an engineer;

- player can now take direct control over any subordinate (and continue gameplay even after death if has subordinates, all via team switch);

- halved chance for green circle intel from all sources except high rank commanders and rewards for side missions from civilians;

- few small fixes.

Edited by Rydygier

it is thanks to your speciality you was able to spot these mines reliably, thus avoid them easily, so yes, you found use for explosive skills in this moment.

Sure I spotted the mines, but if I hadn't and got killed I would have reloaded and avoided the area. There was nothing beyond them that I really needed to get to, that's why I said "easily avoidable".

Some also like to place mines here and there.

I was thinking about using them too, it must feel nice to use and anti-tank one in a city then try to lure a tank onto it, when low on rockets. But so far, and again because of of the low inventory size that BIS put into our vehicles, I can't justify carrying a mine instead of a rocket.

Others seems to like these circles, I like them too and I do not like adding new settings, especially so specific. :) I don't know, I can make them more rare except special cases like stronghold commanders and side missions... Anyway, gameplay may last as long, as you like.

Please don't remove them just for me if others prefer them the way they are :). I was relating my experience, first one saw filled me with joy, but then I realized that now there was no point exploring the map anymore.

Do not fit my concept, I'm affraid. These should be military vehicles, not civilian. As for strongholds - you have armored vehicle(s) at each. Well, these are manned, but this is only minor and temporary obstacle, isn't? :)

It takes damaging a track to red for the crew to bail out, and after that I never had the repair menu option, so they were useless. Now I understand it was because enemies were here, so now I believe when another brother gets killed they will be repairable.

Doable, but frankly, if you manage to make the crew disembark, they most probably are already dead men, so obtaining keys would be pure formality in most cases. Besides - who is so insane to lock own vehicle in use, especially during combat? And if commander will be killed inside?
I did not mean have the crew carry the key. Since I could never repair manned vehicles to use after dispatching the crew, I didn't even consider being able to do anything with them. I meant: having as a prize an unmanned armed vehicle parked there, and locked until you kill the main officer in there, Green Circle Keeper. But if the same vehicles will keep being spawned all over the map anyway, this is a bad idea.

I realized that now there was no point exploring the map anymore.

Only until next gameplay. :) It is not the goal to make player explore whole island and be everywhere during single play (then I would spawn body at the last checked chapel :P ). Goal is to make player enjoy this mission many times and make probable, so each time player will be sent into not explored previously parts of Altis.

it must feel nice to use and anti-tank one in a city then try to lure a tank onto it, when low on rockets.

Very. :) Of course, rockets are more effective, but not always you have any. Once I spotted garrison group patrolling the village from door to door. Knowing patrol pattern I was able to set claymore in such place, so I wiped out whole group with single mouse click. :)

Encountered a possible bug: I captured a Strider from a checkpoint (I think the driver surrendered) and took it to a drive around the island road rage style ramming the crap out of every enemy I could find. After flattening a couple of checkpoints I noticed that no one had shot me even once. First I thought it was because of my amazing driving skills, but after I broke my front wheels and continued my rampage at the incredible speed of about 10 km/h, I realized all of the enemies pretty much ignored me. Even the checkpoint's dude at the .50 cal couldn't be bothered to shoot me. Only after I exited the vehicle they opened up on me.

I was playing the latest beta version of Pilgrimage and the only AI altering mod I use is ASR AI.

I agree, this may be a bug, but not caused by mission's code. I'm not touching things like AI combat behavior. Looks rather like core AI issue. Something like vehicle was set as captive side along with the crew and did not switched to west when you entered it... Only guessing.

Hello, well it seems that I found the brother, finally.

The objective marker turned GREEN instead of read and got a message to get body to vehicle then to boat.

Question is, I did not see a physical body nor one in my inventory.

How do I know I have actually "Found" him? I've got the vehicle nearby but don't want to waste the time getting to the boat if I don't actually have the body.

Do I need a physical body and some how load it into a vehicle?

Cheers,

kk

Yes, there is a physical body lying somewhere near. If you got green mark, it was most likely not farther than 50 meters from you and you had not obstructed LOS towards its position. If finding the body is too difficult, you may temporary set Terrain Details to "LOW" to remove grass etc.

To load the body bring yours vehicle <10 meters from it and use load action at body. Then guard this vehicle well until reach the boat.

I think, I'll add 3D mark activated, when Alex spot the body. After all - from that moment he knows, where body is.

Edited by Rydygier

What are the + on the map? The noise of the unit is still out of sight?

Kill marks. In the init settings you can choose, if such mark should appear for each killed unit, only for those, you killed, or never. Helpful for finding bodies.

Seems, so at "Zeus" 1.16 A3 update they added some object compositions to cfgGroups like roadblocks, outposts... Very nice, but this change somehow interferes with Pilgrimage's populating code, so you may encounter some error messages at init and instead of some groups (only few) you'll find such composition placed... I'll try to sort this mess ASAP. Meanwhile apologize for any inconvenience.

Meanwhile apologize for any inconvenience.

Rydygier, you don't need to apologise, we are your humble servants! :D ;)