Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Looking fantastic so far with the new map,thanks vafana! I was started in the southern isle. Is it possible to add a boat to the mission? i hate to swim :P

@distorsion

Well, it's a very high chance that for 1200 ff to buy information about a boat, just pay attention at ADM messages ;)

or use your landing boat.

Thanks to @Rydyger for this mission.

I also managed to break Arma, by treating myself and the treatment didn't work. I lost all ability to interact with things after that and couldn't heal myself even with another FAK. I had to go back to my previous save which was an hour before.

Until now, I had no problem with healing, it works for me ...

Tanoa and announced new driving AI tests made me for first time to try dev branch, so I'll use this opportunity to familiarize with Tanoa using your port. :) BTW, I was welcomed by very nice, relaxing oriental track. that's some custom music, right? 

EDIT: a question. This:

hud_tanoa.jpg

is some dev branch thing, or weird left over after sthud? Because I was using sthud earlier, but this gameplay I set pure vanilla. 

So far Tanoa is so hypnotizing, I'm forgetting to watch may six and even my twelve, just absorbing everything in silent admiration, so I suspect, I'll die in this paradise very soon. :)

That's the new Team Radar that appeared on Dev Branch on Friday. It's basically SThud becoming part of the vanilla game with a couple of minor differences. The team icons don't fade with distance and and are all white. I believe it still remains if you are the only member of the team left. It can be toggled on/off in difficulty options. The default position on screen is where the messages on screen appear in Pilgrimage, so it's worth moving it's position lower in the screen.

Until now, I had no problem with healing, it works for me ...

Trust me. I had no problem healing. (I did it a lot!!) Just occasionally in Arma, the healing doesn't work properly and certain options in the action menu no longer appear. It has only happened once or twice before on Altis. In over 2200 hours in Arma 3, that's not bad. I used all my FAKs I had on me when I got stuck in a roof on a high building and fell off onto a lower roof with no way back up. After that I had to fall in stages, healing as I went. Unfortunately, when I started attacking the airfield I had no FAKs to heal myself anymore. I was down to 62% health and couldn't aim for shit. No good when you are pinned behind a building with a static MG on one side and a squad closing in on the other. I had to pull back to retrieve a FAK from a dead body and then realised my action menu no longer worked. 

There was also a building where the loot spawned inside, but the building wasn't enterable.

I watched a review on YT and he said that many of the new buildings are not (at least for now) enterable.

I watched a review on YT and he said that many of the new buildings are not (at least for now) enterable.

Yes the map is still WIP and not yet finished and liable to change (become more polished hopefully) before release. However it is still a brilliant map. In any case you need to get out in the fresh air more, not go hanging around in buildings. I've found out that the buildings with the glass louvre windows don't break, although you can shoot through them, but your shots are very heavily deflected. As for the airfield, what I thought was dead armour, looks like it was attacking the airfield and the actual defending armour is still intact. So now I need some AT and I'm down to three partial mags for my rifle. Looks like I may have to withdraw again. On the plus side I've found a UAV terminal and know the location of the Stomper, which is next to a church on the far side of the airfield. Unfortunately it's engine is dead and it can't move.

@alky_lee

You're lucky .. now I'm in Laikoro in southwestern island without armor, 3 mags, hidden in a wooden house under mortar fire and two patrols trying to "clean" me from the bushes ... :shoot:

(I like to play without loot in civil buildings...)

• Like 1

I don't understand this craze about Tanoa. To me it looks just like another heavily wooded map, and it is very difficult to play there against an AI that sees through vegetation. In these maps I can only survive if I have 3+ teammates to detect and kill the enemy while I, ahem, do the management part. I can't imagine playing Pilgrimage on a wooded map, where, for RP reasons I always have to start alone until I free someone in a stronghold. Or maybe in reality it's just the trailers and screenshots that show off the woods and Tanoa is not more wooded than Altis/Stratis? Or did they fix the AI?

I don't understand this craze about Tanoa. To me it looks just like another heavily wooded map, and it is very difficult to play there against an AI that sees through vegetation. In these maps I can only survive if I have 3+ teammates to detect and kill the enemy while I, ahem, do the management part. I can't imagine playing Pilgrimage on a wooded map, where, for RP reasons I always have to start alone until I free someone in a stronghold. Or maybe in reality it's just the trailers and screenshots that show off the woods and Tanoa is not more wooded than Altis/Stratis? Or did they fix the AI?

I was fighting today against AI on Tanoa and there was some tall grass/crops at the side of the road. The terrain was otherwise flat and clear of obstructions. I only came under fire when I emerged from the grass and I had got to within 20m of the AI by then, so I don't think the AI does see through the vegetation on Tanoa.

The map itself does have quite a bit of open ground around towns and roads but when you head for the hills you are in dense jungle. There are some trails through the jungle, lots of ruins, WW2 installations/bunkers etc. The environmental sound is amazing. It's a really good map and BIS are promising lots of improvements before release.

I think it's a matter of preference. "Pilgrimage" in Tanoa is a real challenge, indeed the AI does not see through vegetation and you don`t see them for too long. In Altis, it's simple, you just need a good position with a sniper rifle; in Tanoa the contrary: movement, assault rifle, a lot of grenades and eyes wide open :ph34r:  (and good headsets). Finally, for who loves a good fight in an exotic island, "Pilgrimage" is a real challenge (and a real craze, as you said) .

I think it's a matter of preference. "Pilgrimage" in Tanoa is a real challenge, indeed the AI does not see through vegetation and you don`t see them for too long. In Altis, it's simple, you just need a good position with a sniper rifle; in Tanoa the contrary: movement, assault rifle, a lot of grenades and eyes wide open :ph34r:  (and good headsets). Finally, for who loves a good fight in an exotic island, "Pilgrimage" is a real challenge (and a real craze, as you said) .

Indeed. Last night I had the body on board a quad bike. I emerged out of the jungle to use a road I had used before, but this time there was a squad heading towards me. I quickly retreated into the jungle and try to set up a firing position but they were closing on me too quick. My only option was to retreat into the jungle on foot. I then saw them passing me by through a small gap in the trees. I moved away from them and back round to the quad bike. In my haste, I hadn't marked the position of the quad bike on the map and I couldn't find it. I would have left it behind but it had the body on board so I had to find it, and before that patrol came back. I spent ages retracing my steps back and forth before I found it again. Luckily it was a bright red one and I was able to spot it amongst the undergrowth. Phew.

• Like 2

Considering that "Apex" came out, I made some changes in "Pilgrimage":

In "Strongholds" are  units from CSAT Pacific; In "checkpoints" there are units from CSAT Pacific and AAF; in "hidden camps" are bandits.

in spec ops patrols are CSAT Pacific and Viper Team. However, there will still be patrols consisting of regular CSAT.

I would be glad if you will try the new version and ghive some feedback if it works or not.

I would like to remind you that I have not changed anything in specific functionalities of this mission, only locations and classes; all credits goes to @Rydygier for this mission. :clap:

Pilgrimage Tanoa

• Like 4

I had no problems so far, I have met a few new patrols, 3 CSAT Pacific and 1 Viper (they said something in Jackie Chan's style :P ) Yet for 2 hours of playing I have not found any hidden camp with bandits, and I'm injured from the first fight with Viper patrol   :soldier: fight was so fierce that I had no time to save.

• Like 2

I had no problems so far, I have met a few new patrols, 3 CSAT Pacific and 1 Viper (they said something in Jackie Chan's style :P ) Yet for 2 hours of playing I have not found any hidden camp with bandits, and I'm injured from the first fight with Viper patrol fight was so fierce that I had no time to save.

OK testing it out. Just had a CQB battle with a Recon squad, and when I say CQB I mean really really close. First kill was when an enemy ran round a corner where I was taking cover and ran straight into me. It was like one of those Hollywood struggles where a shot rings out and someone falls to the floor dead. I was surprised when it wasn't me as I only had the SMG I started with. Then, as the fight progressed an enemy backed round the corner taking cover behind the corner where I was taking cover already. At least I didn't get hurt that time. I didn't realise that there was also one of those CSAT light strike vehicles there as well. Because it has the same engine sound as an offroad, I had totally ignored it. Luckily it was unarmed.

I haven't found any hidden camps yet this mission. On Tanoa they seem to be more hidden than normal.

• Like 1

Tested out the Tanoa Pilgrimage for a few hours. Was getting an error from one of my other addons. CBA or related. Black title screen did not disappear. Saved and loaded the mission before everything had a chance to initialize. Seemed to cause the mission scripts to load twice. I was facing off against AAF/CSAT and Russian/Guerilla fighters (CUP or possibly APEX, as have not looked to see everything they have released early yet). So 4 different factions and 2 intel circles. Talking to 2 civilians right next to each other I got told to check south and south-west. Weird error but made it a bit fun.

No helicopter at one airfield I managed to take, though the pilots were there. Also like stated above I did not come across any camps.

Are there mines in Pilgrimage or is it a Tanoa map thing, left over from WWII? I came across a mine that was near an AAF corpse filled, damaged PMC SUV. Never encountered any when I used to play on Altis. Killed me the first time. Thought maybe someone came out of the jungle at first and killed the Jackal I left a gunner in. Death screen showed the gunner alive and vehicle intact. Reloaded and sure enough as I creeped up on the same spot a mine indicator appeared. AT mine in the ground under it.

Got lucky and took a Warrior IFV with a silenced F2000. Head shot the gunner and commander before they could turn in. Unloaded the troops who I proceeded to kill with a 40mm. Driver took off and I later found it sitting next to a repair truck with the driver dead. I didn't kill him. Another mine? The repair truck fixed the APC? AT rocket? It was pristine when I got in.

@Stormforge

Today I finished "Pilgrimage Tanoa" for the first time, everything worked well, I encountered three hidden camps with bandits. So, I suppose due to mods you use, you met Russian guerrillas, because Apex does not contain such units. The mines are near airports and strongholds, it is part of "Pilgrimage". You should try to play without mods containing units or weapons, already with Apex, Arma 3 contains a large variety of weapons and units, but of course, it's your choice :) .

• Like 1

There are big changes with AI leading up to Apex.I think I read somewhere that AI can now place mines by themselves. There have also been changes to AI spotting abilities on the dev branch today https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/150500-development-branch-captains-ai-log/?p=3045162

On the other hand, as well as strongholds/airfields there is a third instance where mines are present in Pilgrimage. That is the low chance Easter egg crashed helicopter full of goodies that the player would like to have to cover all eventualities. It is normally found surrounded by a selection of mines.

• Like 1

It was definitely CUP for the other units. First time I used a mod with it's own units with Pilgrimage. Usually just weapons/equipment/vehicles. Saw two 4gb downloads from steam in two days, but was more interested in checking out Tanoa with Pilgrimage than any weapons or other stuff APEX added.

Must have really been lucky then as I have never seen a mine till Tanoa. Completed the mission a few times on Altis with ver. 1.93. Tanoa was the first time I played 1.94. Took the Mount Tanoa Stronghold did not see any there either, just like all my other playthroughs. I have yet to see any crashed helicopter that I did not cause.

Not too surprised I did not see any camps. Started in Momea, made my way east to La Rochelle Airfield, down to Nasua, Mount Tanoa stronghold, then back to the airfield where I left a few vehicles at the service station. From there I quit for the night. Did not really cover too much ground.

Knew one of the mods at least was messing with it but just wanted to play and not deal with hunting which it was. Going to need to go through and figure out which kept the helicopter from spawning on the one airfield I cleared. Was marked on the map and had the usual assortment of armored vehicles. Two helicopter pilots, no chopper. Was not really playing a serious game. Wanted to check Tanoa out in a mission and give feed back for this Pilgrimage map. Like how it plays more than Altis.

ACE3 (minus medical and most advanced things)

Bigger Trunks (Thanks Rydygier)

Latest CBA

CUP Weapons/Units/Vehicles/ACE3 Compatibility Patch

Enhanced Movement

Incognito (Thanks again Rydygier)

JSRS3 DragonFyre

Liability Insurance (Once again Thanks Rydygier)

Mig-21 (by R0adki11 for test purposes once I was about to quit. Too bad Zeus would not load it after I stepped on that mine and reloaded my game.)

Simple Single Player Cheat Menu (to access Zeus for the Mig-21)

TPW animals/goggles

Unlocked Uniforms

WW AI menu

Thinking that maybe my impatience with the black screen fading, saving then loading right away is what caused my errors. On load I had a different loadout and then after 10 seconds it disappeared to the Normal loadout. Just loaded the mission with the same addons and everything loaded correctly.

Thinking that maybe my impatience with the black screen fading, saving then loading right away is what caused my errors. On load I had a different loadout and then after 10 seconds it disappeared to the Normal loadout. Just loaded the mission with the same addons and everything loaded correctly.

Sometimes, if things are running really slowly, the mission starts before the scripts have finished running and before the player has had his loadout set. In those circumstances you can try waiting or restart the mission. This happened to me once when I started the mission at midnight and it was broad daylight. I had got to the first building when all of a sudden I was stripped, re-dressed and it suddenly got dark. I couldn't see a thing.

I have also put up a video of the start of my first mission on Tanoa. (Last weekend on Dev Branch before the assets were released)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEpKdhr-iGA

• Like 1

Ok I have an actual bug. The loot boxes are showing up on the roof of the hangers at La Rochelle Airfield. Only airfield I have checked so far.

Assassination missions are no longer so cut and dry. Having fun trying to locate and track them through the jungle without drawing attention. It has become much more interesting.

To play Pilgrimage on Tanoa you need to pre-order Apex and download the beta/preview from the dev branch, right? Does it download into another directory leaving the "normal" Arma 3 download untouched? And in this case will this be like another 20-30 GB download?

To play Pilgrimage on Tanoa you need to pre-order Apex and download the beta/preview from the dev branch, right? Does it download into another directory leaving the "normal" Arma 3 download untouched? And in this case will this be like another 20-30 GB download?

Yes, you need Tanoa map and other assets from Apex to play this version of Pilgrimage. Apex has around 8 Gb and will be installed in the main directory of Arma 3 (Expansion folder, Just like OA in Arma 2).

@Stormforge

I also had this "bug", even in Altis and Chernarus, is something rare but it happens. I usually play without loot in civil buildings, my loot comes from dead enemies, checkpoints and  hidden camps, It is more challenging in this way  :ph34r: .

• Like 1

It is around a 7GB download, but it is still under development and will receive updates from time to time. Yesterday had a 5GB update on the sneak preview/RC branch.