Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

I can't even get it started now, it crashes every time.

I tried the beta too, same thing. I deleted all the old stuff, same thing. bCombat and other mods are disabled, no difference.

Should I try the dev branch of ARMA? Any other suggestions? I love this mod, this sucks :(

It works just great with 1.48 and a bunch of mods here. There is no lag at startup.

I did have it not load/crash when initially loading the mission, seems it uses a lot of memory to generate everything and had to bump maxmem to a higher value.

With maxmem=2047 or the parameter not set at all -> crash. Since I changed it to load with maxmem=6144 I haven't had any issues. Haven't tried any value in between. I have 8GB of RAM.

Interesting. BTW here:

Startup parameters

is said:

Defines memory allocation limit to number (in MegaBytes).

256 is hard-coded minimum (anything lower falls backs to 256). 2047 is hard-coded maximum (anything higher falls back to 2047).

Engine uses automatic values (512-1536 MB) w/o maxMem parameter.

Seems not quite valid as for hardcoded maximum anymore.

I have no maxmem parameter, but 16GB of RAM, so maybe no crashes, because for me game takes more RAM by default. I wonder, if I set some high maxmem, if my problems with config errors will gone.

That doc is probably outdated. In Arma3 official launcher parameters it says max. 32 GB.

Well, I tried -maxMem=8192 and in the 10 consequtive attempts I saw no more any of my issues with config erros etc. Fixed? Also, even for 1.93 my initial lag was barely noticeable, and init much smoother. Thanks Robalo. :)

Well, I tried -maxMem=8192 and in the 10 consequtive attempts I saw no more any of my issues with config erros etc. Fixed? Also, even for 1.93 my initial lag was barely noticeable, and init much smoother. Thanks Robalo. :)

Great. Do you see any issues using 1.94b1 with 1.46?

I had time to make quick change and push out this beta + quick check, but no time for serious testing, so don't know, but shouldn't make a difference 1.46 or 1.48. What possible problems I would expect with any version:

1. Units supposed to stay inside building as garrisoned will not stay, but join TL on patrol;

2. Cargo units for mechanized/motorized groups left outside the vehicles.

Such sort of things may happen or not.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

How do I attach the files to the forum?

You can either store the files somewhere like dropbox and give the link here or paste content

like that

using CODE and /CODE, at the start and the end of the quotation, both inside [] brackets (# button in advanced post editing)

Hi Rydygier, just started playing this mission: it's a fantastic piece of work.

Not sure if it's a bug with the newest ARMA patch or whether you're already aware, but I was having an issue where the Yellow action menu items weren't firing.

EG. selecting "Ask about your brother" or "Release captive" etc none would work.

This was after loading a saved game.

It had been working the previous day, so I'm not sure what stopped it working.

EDIT:

Ignore, just restarted the mission and all's good

Edited by slynchy

I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten excessive CTDs with Pilrgrimage on 1.48? It seems to be memory related, I have 8gb RAM. It gives a access violation error about 40 mins into the game when starting a new mission, and then after about 2-5 mins on loading a saved game. Bumping up Maxmem to 6144 as well as trying the new RC both helped, but did not solve the problem... I would fork out the 120€ for 16gb of RAM if I knew it would help.

You can go back to 1.46, just Google how.

Came back to the version 1.46

1.48 full of shit

PS 32GB RAM

I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten excessive CTDs with Pilrgrimage on 1.48? It seems to be memory related, I have 8gb RAM. It gives a access violation error about 40 mins into the game when starting a new mission, and then after about 2-5 mins on loading a saved game. Bumping up Maxmem to 6144 as well as trying the new RC both helped, but did not solve the problem... I would fork out the 120€ for 16gb of RAM if I knew it would help.

It crashes consistently with me too. 6gb ram. Not had this before..

Try with maxmem=6144 and -malloc=tbb3malloc_bi

Seems to do the job well for me, no crashes.

Try with maxmem=6144 and -malloc=tbb3malloc_bi

Seems to do the job well for me, no crashes.

Does the 1.48 hotfix make any difference for anybody? It's certainly stopped my FPS slowdown that I was getting to a smaller extent with 1.46 and was unplayable with 1.48..

Edit: Tried starting a new mission using 1.94 beta. Started with no problems, and even without the lag I used to get on the beach at the start. Managed a steady 45 FPS with mods enabled.

Edited by alky_lee

I just bought DayZ SA and I am tickled to death with the map! Ryd', I know you are busy with other stuff but do you know anyone in your circle who could teach is a little about scripting? I, along with others I know would love to take this project and continue moving it forward. Porting this mission to other maps would be a "game" changer! Did I just say that,...DOH ! :P

do you know anyone in your circle who could teach is a little about scripting? I, along with others I know would love to take this project and continue moving it forward. 

If that could be so simple... :) Sorry, but no, besides...

A little is not enough. So far few people asked me, could I teach them how to script. Not possible in the way, all they wanted, the more in time, I have to spent on such teaching (I'm telling know-how, they suddenly are scripters? No. They just don't understand, what I said and/or not able to use this data). Around 4 years, many thousands of work hours took me self-learning (by 99% of own effort/scripts reading/trying/doing, 1% by asking the others, when stuck) to the level making Pilgrimage possible, through few major projects. And many other things I learned doing Pilgrimage too. One simply has to grasp the thing on his own or will achieve nothing. Practice is required, not a knowledge alone, so also patience and determination. And lots, lots of time. And some talent too, sadly - far not all have appropriately distorted mind :P . 

In simple words - you put it kinda backwards. Try to push step by step some big project forward on your own to learn, not learn to do some projects on your own. :)

First step is simple - save any own mission in editor. Maybe just player unit on the empty map. Determine, what you want to achieve (crucial - set a goal, something simple, done by the others already at first). Go to the folder. Create text file. Rename it to the init.sqf. Open it in the notepad or notepad++ or whatever. Script until stuck (first time - probably immediately). To unstuck study existing similar to your goal scripts and/or BIKI scripting commands. Not enough? Try some tutorials. Still not enough - ask particular question on the forums. When unstuck - back to the scripting etc. Roughly this was and is my way. In time stuck situations will become more and more rare, same as necessity of visiting BIKI. Few years and voila. 

• Like 2

Rydygier

Almost finished translating your mission into Russian.

Difficulties arose from the internal dialogues and phrases.
One question: Is there anywhere in the code logic uses words as arguments?
Example: If a = "Good luck" then b = a + 1 else b = a-1.

If interesting:

https://yadi.sk/d/eqoqggrzijHUm

ПрактичеÑки закончил перевод Вашей миÑÑии на руÑÑкий.
Много пришлоÑÑŒ повозитÑÑ Ñ Ð²Ð½ÑƒÑ‚Ñ€ÐµÐ½Ð½Ð¸Ð¼Ð¸ диалогами и фразами.
Один вопроÑ, еÑÑ‚ÑŒ ли где в коде логика иÑÐ¿Ð¾Ð»ÑŒÐ·ÑƒÑŽÑ‰Ð°Ñ Ñлова в качеÑтве аргументов?
Пример: If a="Good luck" then b=a+1 else b=a-1.

Almost finished translating your mission into Russian.

Cool. Thanks for your work. :)

One question: Is there anywhere in the code logic uses words as arguments?

Example: If a = "Good luck" then b = a + 1 else b = a-1.

No. Phrase strings aren't used in the logic, so each may be translated/changed safely. 

Major-Stiffy,

i played yesterday to with friends and found almost the same bug (some are gone when respawning at the church...)

but im gonna delete the save game future out of this version because its not gonna work in MP.

In the version i used i changed the respawn when joining a server to the Respawn marker (thats the marker that changes pos. when saved by a church)

the new version is below here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2lugbwtizx3g7c/PilgrimageCOOP.Altis.pbo?dl=0

ps you now spawn at the last church when someone joins in later (if they dont have the scroll menu kill them and let them respawn)

I assume you have given up. Any update or thoughts of going further?

It had to happen to me sooner or later. I finally got the body at the chapel on the island, complete with Stomper. Shooting it with a rifle no longer causes it to explode. I couldn't get a clean shot with my 1 AT round which hit some rocks in front of it. I tried to crawl to the body but couldn't get the option to load it into the boat before I died. This is when it's good to have a companion (or three). I had left them with the vehicle which had a mortar in it. A quick blitz with the mortar did the trick. All I had to do was return to the island to collect the body.

A9EA9AAB1C03471DB412FC05FD0C8E5D5C9AA1B3

I managed to revise Pilgrimage 1.86c to add a third player, something Partz and myself wanted to play around with. I performed no magic fixes to this MP mod so keep in mind any bugs you've seen in MP will still be there and possibly more. If something is broke, I do not have the skills to fix it so please don't ask. :)

1. Added engineer to the group.
  2. Added a mine detector and toolkit on the boat at spawn.
  3. Edited the mission.sqm and description.ext to display PilgrimageCOOPStiffyRev1 during launch and in game. This means it should not interfere with any current 1.86c gaming or saves.

So if you want to add a third to your Pilgrimage, let me know and I'll share a link.

Once again, thanks to RYD for making this mod.