Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Rydigier, any news on Pilgrimage on another island? Would really love to play it on another place...

And would the story need a small change, if so, which? Because I don't know of an island with that much chapels and churches.

I tried to use RHS mods or evw (east vs west mod), because I read Pilgrimage would use their assets... but all with no success. Some error message appeared and Pilgrimage startup didn't get out the black screen (with the Pilgrimage image in the center).

Each error log on screen at init breaks somehow loading screen, so then IMO one of two thing may occur: game is havily choking or just continue the init, but now withut loading screen. Either way, result is as we see - huge exec delay, no sound, far too long title displayed etc. RHS works, tested it, the second one too, but only if it manage to init without any their config errors. IIRC recently RHS have that problem somewhere around the Stinger or some unit using such. There may be more.

News on other islands - yep. Don't want to announce anything prematurely, but I already had opportunity to clear the path in the first attempt, not ready to release yet. For now I can confirm, Pilgrimage is portable, although this process need some manual work, unlike HWS for example.

And indeed, each map may need tweaks in the plot and other settings, all depends on island's specificity. Unfortunatelly, some islands, otherwise cool and everything aren't fitting too well for Pilgrimage and need deeper consideration. Main obstacles are: too little space (map is too small), too few locations, not typical shape (like archipelago or non-island), poor optimisation (too low FPS on such map), bugged road network, lack of enterable buildings with configured house positions.

Those may hinder porting, but except size (10x10 IMO it's absolute minimum) and some severe problems with roads should be possible to workaround somehow.

Example: no chapels? Alex may have list of possible coords to check instead.

BTW if no more errors will be reported, 1.91 should be officially released this week. I'm waiting a bit longer to be more sure, as I want to think about 1.91 as final release. So this will open door for porting stage etc.

However. Pilgrimage lacks one thing, IMO it deserves, and I can't provide it. I'm talking about "pro" & true youtube teaser/trailer/advert. Something hi res and really well, artfully thought, designed and made. High quality stuff, music&visuals synergic montage, moody and consistent, showing mission specificity and qualities. I'm both not good enough in such things and lacking of technical possibilities. Armaholic movie, I'm using currently is cool, but it's more like mini-review, something different. I know, it's not trivial request, but is there by a chance anyone Pilgrimage fan willing and capable, who would want to provide such service for Pilgrimage cause? I of course would serve with my opinions and advices, if desired. In-game outro credits are obvious. :)

Releasing such teaser would be great culminaton firework for closing development stage.

Edited by Rydygier

Is anyone else experiencing gear interaction behaving strangely after updating to 1.40 ? It's not something specific to this mission, but I'm asking here because due to relying on looting bodies there are high chances someone has seen it too.

What I mean is soon after interacting with gear on a dead body, when you right-click to pick up something the items and magazines simply vanish.

I had vanishing events few times. But also for earlier game versions.

Yeah, looks nasty. :/ I think, I had once this thing in 1.40, in the very quick editor preview, so didn't paid attantion really. Earlier it was sporadic for some single items. But it doesn't happen to me usually even now.

Is anyone else experiencing gear interaction behaving strangely after updating to 1.40 ? It's not something specific to this mission, but I'm asking here because due to relying on looting bodies there are high chances someone has seen it too.

What I mean is soon after interacting with gear on a dead body, when you right-click to pick up something the items and magazines simply vanish.

I have been getting this bug. Doesn't seem to happen in vanilla. I am trying to identify the mod responsible. The last time it happened, everything was fine. I then carried out a mag repack using Outlawleds Mag Repack and had gone incognito. When I tried to loot some bodies, I could pick up weapons but not ammo or other articles. It also makes your ammo disappear when you try to reload. Once it happens it's permanent and the mission is dead. Even reverting to an earlier save doesn't fix it.

There was a ticket on it at http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22926

A quick suggestion. When civs/POWS are giving the locations of strongholds/airfields, could they actually pinpoint the location of the captives as an alternative. It could be interesting for new players who don't realise the consequences of the intel.

I often wondered why nobody takes the captured vehicles that we leave behind. Last night I got a shock. I returned to a Gorgon I had captured and found that the AAF had repossessed it, so I had to capture it again. I don't actually think that Arma has changed, it's more likely that they the remains of an armoured infantry unit that went to ground or were absent when I captured it the first time.

Some AI mod may cause such reposessioning. For sure I remember such in A2. Started final test run, but due to lack of time official release may be moved to the next week. Seems no serious changes since last beta though so no problem, I guess. I'll think about additional diversity stronghold/captive.

Some AI mod may cause such reposessioning.

I'm not using any mods other than weapon resting & CBA, so AI is vanilla. I know they have been making changes to vanilla AI. If this is the result, things could get very interesting.

If so, interesting indeed. Regarding these two captives' position, decided to mark them always along with given by the civ or POW stronghold mark with good accuracy for easy and normal difficulty.

If so, interesting indeed.

Lucky for me I don't think they were in the crew positions as I was looking round for the MRAP that my companion reported. I would have been an easy target until I realised it was my one, that I repaired and drove here.

I've just finished one of those missions where it never stopped raining. I've never known a thunderstorm last so long. All through the day and into the night, and even when I got back to the boat 18 hrs later. Very mean, moody and spooky after dark.

I've just finished one of those missions where it never stopped raining. I've never known a thunderstorm last so long.

Well that seems to be vanilla rain. I can understand you. I like to play with lots of clouds, but not much rain. Will release a first proto of my 2nd edition weather mod soon, where you have rain under full control.

And very much looking forward to play this on another island :D

Rydygier, "Waiting for map click" does not instantly disappear after a map click in 1.91, I think a hint ""; is missing somewhere.

Edited by tortuosit

Not really missing, just never was there. It was the choice between leaving this message long or risk of clearing some possible another, displayed in the meantime. Both issues marginal of course, besides:

Pilgrimage updated to 1.91 - it's intended final version, that ends development stage of primary version. Unless some new bugs to fix will be found or some new features added to A3, too great to ignore. Changelog:

- blocked radio chatter from just killed TL/group;

- civilians pointing nearest empty vehicle;

- more frequent civilian pointing a stronghold;

- FIA present in AC basing on reputation, when closest stronghold was cleared;

- enhanced ranges for some radios: 15000 for the choppers, 10000 for artillery, 4500 for motorized patrols;

- prevented a risk of motorized patrol/chopper calling himself;

- FO will not call for arty, if distance to the target is anyway too small (preventing call arty/negative spam);

- correction in the enemy spotted comm;

- enqueued communication;

- prevented comm during outro;

- added "ransom" money chance from interrogating captured hostiles;

- fixed some issues with support communication, especially for hunting support;

- fixed: with enabled AC east could call resistance mortars and vice versa;

- added 2 minutes interval between arty support calls, if last one was refused;

- amount of armored empty vehicles on map depending on difficulty;

- for VERY HARD randomized handgun instead of SMG;

- small improvement in artillery code;

- added POW marker for stronghold intel from civilians/captives for difficulty easy and normal.

I looked at whole changelog and, may, development of this was quite a pilgrimage indeed. :) Possible only to so many dedicated players, testers, youtubers, suporters, feedbackers, bug hunters and their ideas. Thanks to all once more. :)

Now time to think about the ports...

Edited by Rydygier

Found a couple of things...

-when I bring up the marker system (shift/lmb) the marker UI is split on the map. Then, often but not always, it places a double entry on the map. If i hover the mouse and hit delete, one of the items will be removed but at the expense of another marker somewhere else on the map.

-I alerted a chopper and it ended up in an endless circular patrol. Save and exit on the third try seemed to shake it loose.

First thing is known to me - it appears always, when I'm playing with AGM (but I'm not using it anymore for this and few other reasons - IMO it's "high risk" mod - too many weird things happen around it), so it's not Pilgrimage's problem - Pilgrimage anyway does nothing with in-game UI.

Second thing sounds like the event, where the chopper during SAD patrol encounters hostile, it's unable to engage for some reason. AFAIK chopper will continue until there's no longer any known enemy. Usually it ends sonner or later...

Thanks for the update, and YES, please! -->

Now time to think about the ports...

As for the port, would it be perhaps possible to make the opposing factions modular as well?

Something akin to choosing what group would represent the OPFOR/BLUFOR side, so let's say if we had Pilgrimage on an eastern-centric island, we could choose the RHS Russians as the main representatives of OPFOR, instead of CSAT?

I thinks so, if there will be suitable custom faction, it will be worthy of additional work.

OK. I've an idea - I'll try to prepare a poll to check, which maps are most desired (and BTW how big interest in ports we actually have - useful for prioritizing). I'll try to choose for the poll islands most promising/suitable for this mission (+ "other" option), but can't guarantee for any, there will be no obstacle hidden in it.

EDIT: The poll is set. No idea, why title is white though... :) Anyway, people may also just post below their favourites...

What matters:

1. Size (10x10 or bigger);

2. Amount of locations (the more, the better);

3. Well enough developed and bug-free road network;

4. Enterable houses with defined house positions;

5. Landmass shape (archipelagos without main land may be highly problematic. One, big island is best);

6. Optimally with dedicated custom factions;

7. Lots of churches/chapels is good, but not necessary;

8. Config errors free, especially those pop-up on screen may hinder things;

9. Properly/fully configured;

10. Reasonable optimization (decent FPS).

Edited by Rydygier

What matters:

1. Size (10x10 or bigger);

2. Amount of locations (the more, the better);

3. Well enough developed and bug-free road network;

4. Enterable houses with defined house positions;

5. Landmass shape (archipelagos without main land may be highly problematic. One, big island is best);

6. Optimally with dedicated custom factions;

7. Lots of churches/chapels is good, but not necessary;

8. Config errors free, especially those pop-up on screen may hinder things;

9. Properly/fully configured;

10. Reasonable optimization (decent FPS).

you r describing Bornholm! that's why i voted that one.. keep up the good work! :)

Yeah it can only turn out to be Bornholm or Chernarus. Must say I have much love for Chernarus still. Bornholm is nice, but somewhat repetetive and well... the performance...

Bornholm or Chernarus

So far seems so. For the Bornholm AFAIK main problem is its native performance. For Chernarus - limited amount of enterable houses with positions defined, which means lower density of loot comparing to amount of houses and possibly some complications with civilian ambient. As for Duala, for another example, main problem, and it's huge one, is, that apparently (?) buildings used are obsolete - have not defined house positions. That means not working loot system, civilian ambient and garrisoning. (BTW, interesting, in return AI seem to use interiors same way as normal terrein regarding pathfinding).

Rydygier

Have been playing this for months now and it's been pretty much all I play. You've created a great mod! Thanks and congrat's.

I have a few video's I've uploaded playing of some fun moments with this mod which I will share when I can post links.

I know you don't have much knowledge? or ambition? to make this a COOP map BUT my first post is to request that the current WIP COOP be tweaked a bit more because I mostly enjoy playing this more so with a friend. If not, is it possible to release the files so myself or someone else can make it more robust for COOP?

Thanks again for your time and effort.

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Video's

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfoMlGcnCaDH_Rt4od3djvg

As for the coop, further attempt will be made, if possible, despite problems, list of which I paste from my recent answer on the same request on Steam:

- lack of any enthusiasm toward multiplayer - for my pleasure MP could not exist at all;

- thus lack of experience in MP scripting (differences are mostly around so called locality, means which command do/do not what exactly on which PC (server/client/local/non-local), problem not existent in SP, that makes MP scripting on Pilgrimage scale much difficultier and, put together with random net traffic lags factor, more messy and unpredictable; I'm calling that mess "scripting voodoo");

- lack of possibility of on-the-fly testing client-side, especially the only tool to make dedicated server to test client on the single PC, seem to be permanently broken to me quite a while now. Even when working, each such test need X times more time, than for SP (I need each time pbo the mission (+ game restart to overwrite previously pbo-ized version), then set up the dedi server, then join the session, while for SP I need only hit "preview" in editor), which in fact multiplies work hours needed to achieve given result X times. And not all stuff may be tested that way.

Current coop however will be not tweaked. Due to many changes since then, much easier would be start from the scratch, which sadly includes repeating most of the work done then. That's the price of parallel development. Still, MP scripting is so PITA... Blah.